Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic MTM cartridge box (Read 4568 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

MTM cartridge box
Oct 14th, 2005 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I bought a 30/06 rifle in May of 2005, and an MTM 100 round green box and 100 R-P cases in the next few weeks. I've been shooting this gun with cast bullets and SR4759, Unique, IMR4227 and AA#9. I wipe each case clean after shooting it and before putting it back in the MTM case.
The cases have been neck sized, M died and reprimed.
All reloading stuff, these cases included, is kept in an air conditioned low humidity building.
Tuesday I noticed some funny corrosion lines on some cases.
The MTM box has a black plastic insert that holds the cases.
At the top of the black plastic insert the cases, in jiggling around, have a line-a mark; all the way around.
Eighteen of the cases are corroded at this line, and the corrosion is deep enough that it doesn't go away after cleaning the case with steel wool. The corrosion is deep enough that I won't use the cases again.
I've used MTM cases for ?35? years, have 3 other 100 round boxes, just checked the cases and there's nothing wrong.
It's pretty clear that some chemical event has happened here. I've got pictures, don't know how to put them in here.
Anybody else seen this?
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: MTM cartridge box
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Your box sounds exactly like one of mine so I'm gonna go down and check the box I've got to see if your problem exists in mine. I sure hope not because I've got about 50 loaded .28/30 rounds in it and considering the cost of those I'd be pretty mad if something was happening to them.

Whew! Nope. Nothing wrong with them. 

Am wondering what you wipe your cases off with after you size them? If you do. Might be some chemical reaction between that and the box and your cases. You might give MTM a call and explain your problem and see what they have to say. If you're doing nothing special in handling your cases MTM might have been getting complaints on this.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I am a retired Insurance Claims Representative. This situation reminds me of a series of claims we were presented with by one of our insured manufacturers. The manufacturer made a guitar stand. It was VERY popular amongst owners of fine guitars. The areas of the steel stand where the guitar rested were covered with rubber tubing. It worked extremely well, but had a relatively short life. When clear plastic tubing came into general use, the manufacturer decided to "upgrade" their stands. 

After a few months of use with the new stands, the complaints started rolling in. High end guitars had their finish damaged where they touched the plastic. We paid to refinish a LOT of guitars. This is a case where the manufacuturer was "sandbagged" by a supposedly better product.

Maybe MTM has changed their chemistry and has also run into a problem. I would certainly report it promptly, even it the brass is not terribly expensive. It might save the next people from an expensive problem.

Dale53

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Dale--I just bought one of those 100 rd  cases about two weeks ago.  leadball

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 6:35am
Print Post  
I wipe cases off with a clean napkin or paper towel.
I sent the message and photos to MTM and offered to send the box and brass.
I checked 3 other boxes, one bought with the box in question. All with brass in them, no problem.
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 8:30am
Print Post  
joe,

It will be interesting t ohear what MTM has to say about your problem. I hope you'll keep us informed as it might be a problem if they've changed the plastic they use in the inserts.

PETE

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
had the same pblm, mine went away when i changed the bullet lube.

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 4:56am
Print Post  
I'm using NRA formula Alox.
joe b.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Here's the reply from MTM:
Here's the MTM reply:
Joe
Thank you for the Email. Over the years we have gotten letters like yours 3 or 4 times. Every time we ask the customer to send the product back and every time we can't figure out what happened. We do know it happens in humid climates like the southeast or the northwest and not with every box usually just one. To express our regrets for your problem I'm sending you 2 new R-100s in green.
If you have any problems please get back to us.
Al Minneman
V.P. Marketing
MTM Case-gard

I think that this is a reasonable reply-what happens is a mystery and looks like a 1 in a million happenstance..
I'll wash any new MTM or other plastic cartridge box very well, and leave it out on the porch for a few days before using it.
joe b.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint