Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Breech seating (Read 10288 times)
thickside
Ex Member

Breech seating
Oct 11th, 2005 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Hello 
I'm new to this forum and new to breech seating.  I have a ballard rifle that I am looking to shoot with breech seated bullets.  Is it possible to breech seat groove diameter bullets?  I am using a tapered bullet cast 40:1 lead to tin.  Will I have to "hammer" the bullet into position?
Thanks
Thickside

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Breech seating
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Thickside,

Your bullet may be a nearly perfect fit requiring minimum seating pressure if it is matched to a specially cut throat in the barrel.  Otherwise, more seating force may be exerted with a plugged case or using a push seater if the bullet is close to the right taper for the throat.  If you really need some "OOMPH" on the bullet, you can use a mechanical seater, either utilizing a stud added to the side of the barrel or receiver Not a welcome addition to an original rifle) or one of the hook type seaters that are made by several of our craftsmen such as Jake Simmons.  The SSR Journal had a two part article on breech seating, the second of which came out in January and the first of which was a few issues earlier.  Modesty forbids me mentioning the name of the author,  8) but both issues are available to members at a reasonable cost from our archives...contact Rudi Prusok for details.

HTH, Froggie

PS  Our ASSRA treasurer has been known to drive his bullets in with a push seater and hammer, but it's OK, the hammer is marked "Pope."   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

thickside
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks Frog
I think I am going to try light tapping on a plugged case at first and see where that leads me.  Do you fellows normally breech seat groove diameter bullets, or something smaller?
Thickside

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Thickside,

Personally I breech seat a bullet that's .001" - .0015" lager than groove diam., But some will just size to groove diam. The feeling on the latter is that as the rifling engraves the bullet it will push out enuf to guarantee a positive gas seal.

This gas seal is what you're looking for. I like the above .001" or so larger diam. as this will also fill the Leade....... that small taper just in front of the chamber...... that I feel will give a better and more positive seal.

When you breech seat the bullet the idea is to push it in front of the case far enuf so that you can see the rifling on the front half of the bottom driving band.

In any event, do not size your bullet less than groove diam. as there's a real possiblity of powder gas being able to bypass the bullet which you definitely don't want.

PETE

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Thickside, I personally prefer Tapered Bullets that seat easily.
Now having said this I will admit there are a lot of folks doing some excellent shooting with groove size or even a little bigger bullet that they breech seat with a mechanical seater with great leverage. My bullets are all tapered from Bore size to over groove size at the back end. The key issue is uniformity. You MUST seat the bullet the same way from shot to shot. If you are using an impact seater (Hammer) the odds are you will not hit it the same number of times from shot to shot. This will cause the rifle to have different points of impact or zero. A soft lead bullet will "BUMP" up a little each time it is hit. If it is bumped in the throat differently from shot to shot it will shoot differently from shot to shot. There are a number of people making really good mechanical seaters.  If your desire is to shoot Bench matches you will be wanting a good mecahnical seater and I am sure someone will reply here with some names. Regards, FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:57am
Print Post  
I'm planning a new bench rifle for breech seating and will obviously have to select a new mold and chamber combination. To make things easy for me to understand, assume a 30 caliber, .300" bore and .308" groove.
What should the bullet and "whatever you call from the end of the case mouth to full size lands" look like?
I'm guessing a tapered bullet. If the bullet tapers from .299" to .310" should the throat/leade/ball seat thingy be tapered the same? Is .299" to .310" right?
When I breech seat my guns now I'm frequently forcing a bullet in a not-very-tapered seat. However, I have and have had guns where I can drop the bullet in the chamber, push in a case over almost no resistance, and shoot small groups.
So with a clean sheet of paper, what's the best combo?
Thanks, and Hi Bob;
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Well IMO your last idea is the ideal way to go if you are making up a rifle especially for bench and breech seating.

The rifle I had made up for this has a bullet with dimensions on the order of what you're suggesting. The nose is slightly under bore size and the base band slightly over groove. The area just in front of the chamber (Leade) was cut to fit this bullet so that a very slight resistance will be felt when seating it about 1/16" ahead of the case. This means that there is an area just in front of the chamber that was cut out to just over groove size.

But.... And it's a big but. If you set your rifle up this way it's almost useless for shooting fixed ammo. You will have to go with a straight sided bullet which might not work well in the throat. I had to try several different bullets in order to find one to use in my Schoyen-Ballard for the Election Day Challenge. Shoots very well breech seated, but only good enuf for offhand work with fixed ammo. I haven't found a bullet that works as well in another High Wall I wanted to use for the EDC that's also set up for "drop-in" breech seating.

This last paragraph explains why many use a mechanical seater and only modify the Leade slightly so the bullet isn't deformed when seating. You can get very good accuracy breech seating this way, and also get good accuracy with fixed ammo.

PETE

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Hi Joe, How are you?
Joe I cannot advise as to building a Bench gun. All my shooting and load devlopment is done offhand and so my criteria for a good load is somewhat suspect. if I call a shot a 25 and it comes up a 23 I am still satisfied. I do however often get those hail Mary shots where everything sits still and the rifle goes off and the follow thru feels real good. And when I look the bullet hole is smack dab on where I last saw the crosshairs on the target. When that happens I feel I have a good load and a good zero. Now all I have to do is string a bunch of those shots together. I will say that Pope seemed to have it figured out. I have two Pope molds, a 32-40 and a 38-55 both are tapered from under bore size to over groove size. The 32-40 actually measures .327/.3275 on the base band and .316 at the front band. Now this bullet has seated easily in every 32-40 I have tried it in and in rifles owned by others that I have given bullets to for trying. And most are factory chambers with no special throating. The 38-55 also fits everything but is slightly small and will shoot best when muzzle loaded using black powder. I have never tried my rifles on the Pope machine rest at the club as I do not want to be disenchanted. Every one who has done that has been unhappy with the results. An interesting  note. Jim Mc Dermott   from Ct. for many years shot Miller rifles with all the bells and whistles. But guess what he finally started shooting 250s with at 200 yds? A original Hiwall with a barrel 
rifled by Brezine. I do believe there are some benefits to different actions for different reasons but I have come to believe that good barrels are first, good casting second, good loading third, and good bench technique are more important than action. Not to say a Trapdoor will shoot with the best striker type action but within reason the Hiwalls, Ballards, Stevens by CPA can be made to shoot. Well enough for now. good luck on your project. Regards, FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

thickside
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:39am
Print Post  
Pete and Fitz
Thanks for the information.  Now all I need are some names of people who can make a breech seater, although I would not want to modify the rifle.
Thickside

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Thickside,

There are several breech seaters out there that sort of hook into the lip of the receiver that is exposed when the hammer and block are at their lowest position.  I bought one last Spring @ Etna Green from somebody, but for the life of me I can't be sure who it was.   Undecided  I was thinking it was either Wayne Veitz or Jake Simmons, but I am really doubting my memory at this point.  I do remember that they seemed quite reasonably priced at the time, FWIW.  If anybody remembers who was selling them at the Memorial Day Match, I wish they would chime in and tell thickside and me both.

The one I've got seems like it will work well, but is for the wrong caliber...I bought it knowing that I would have to make a new guide rod and plugged case to go on it.

Can anybody help Mr. 'side and me?   ???

TIA, Froggie

PS  It seems that the .32-40 chamber and throat on the rebarreled Ruger #1 offhand rifle I have is the standard one, but with a Willis Gregory mechanical seater, it does well with some otherwise hard-to-seat bullets.  At last check, Willis didn't make Ballard seaters, but maybe he does now.  GF

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Froggie,

Thanks for the info about Willis and Ballard breech seaters. I was going to suggest him as a possible source.

The mechanical breech seaters I've seen for Ballards, that don't require a modification of the gun, are fairly complicated, so would expect them to be pricey if you want one.

PETE

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Russ Weber makes breach seaters.

His contact information is:

18205 Hwy 141
Whitewater, Colorado
81527-9712

970-934-2863
russweber@juno.com

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I don't make a seater for the Ballards. I have seen some however, and I THINK "leadball" (Paul Amberger) has made some- I know he made some for the Stevens (CPA low hammer!).

Willis

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

thickside
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I'll contact Russ Weber.
In the mean time, is a gap of 0.125" too much between base of bullet and loaded case for breech seating.  Through tapping I can get the rifling approx 1/2 thru base band, and then when I use some cases on hand the gap is 0.125".  Is this too large a gap for safety?
Thanks
Thickside

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Thickside,

Nope! I know of guns that need upwards of 3/16" in order to get them right, and have heard of some needing 1/2". Like you've found out my Schoyen-Ballard needs 1/8" also. You can bet your last dollar if I thought it wasn't safe I wouldn't be doing it. This would apply for either black or smokeless.  A 1/32" to 1/16" is just what is considered a good starting place, and you work from there to find the distance your particular gun likes.

What happens is that as the gun wears, especially with the old soft steels, you have to get the bullet out further in order to get a proper gas seal at ignition. From what I read this was especially prevalent in guns loaded from the muzzle.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint