Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Gunsmith in Northern Va. to install scope blocks (Read 4852 times)
Vic
Ex Member

Gunsmith in Northern Va. to install scope blocks
Sep 15th, 2005 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
I did my first Schuetzen in Thurmont, MD last August, had a lot of fun, and am hoping to try it again this October.  It was a good motivator for me to order a MVA scope.  Now it has arrived, and I would like to get it mounted on the Sharps.  It's one of the new longer length scopes, around 33 inches long.  Is this something that any decent gunsmith can do right, or should I look for someone who is more familiar with Schuetzen and scope blocks?  I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.  I live in Sterling, VA and am willing to drive a bit to get the job done right (and hopefully without a long wait...am anxious to try it out).  Thanks.

Vic

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Gunsmith in Northern Va. to install scope bloc
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
There isn't anyone up your way I would trust.   However,  you could (and should) send it to Glenn fewless (HST) of this board. He builds rifles of the highest order --- just ask anyone on this board. He built the Hepburn that is on the cover of this newest Journal.    Ken

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
vic, you may wish to try and contact john bly of virginia, [winchester, va. vinicity i believe]. he has been mentioned on this forum in the past and i believe even contributes occasionally. he's a long time b'p'c'r' competitor and even does some gunsmithing i believe. if this goes beyond his abilities, i'm sure he could recommend someone reliable possibly close to home for you. anybody out there able to give an address for mr Bly??????....blue

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Vic,
I believe I met you at that shoot! John Bly's info is as follows:
1177 Salem Church Rd
Stephens City, Va 22655

540-869-2411

Bly@visuallink.com

I need some blocks for a new scope I bought for my Martini and Stevens 44.5.
I also don't know if he does this kind of work but agree he will know who does. Will you be at the Oct. Thurmont Shoot? I hope to make it back.

Hope this info helps. Jon

IP Logged

Vic
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Hello Jon, 
Yes I was at the August 'fest and really enjoyed it, although I could only stay for the Friday.  I'm planning on being there in October and this time I hope to get in a couple day's worth of shooting.

Thanks for the note on John Bly, but I just mailed the barrel/receiver off to Glenn Fewless per HST's advice.   

I've talked to another guy who has just picked up a new Shiloh Sharps, and also met someone today at the range who has a new Shiloh... seems to be getting more of those around here.  I'm telling them about the Thurmont shoot, too.  I hope to see you there next month.

Vic

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Vic,
I shoot on the 1st Valley Rangers team at the N-SSA and one of our members shoots a Shilo made Sharps carbine. He wins numerous medals with it in the Individual competition. He keeps telling me he wants to get another for long distance BP shooting, ie creedmore/Quigley. I keep trying to convince hime to come out some time but he thinks 200 is not far enough! The nerve! He thinks the Sharps is the most accurate in our carbine competition and swears the shilo are the best built. Many guys shoot a maynard. I shoot a Smith, probably the most common on the line, but am working on a maynard resurection project.(one of many projects that may or may not ever be complete!)
Anyhow, i plan on being there Friday and possibly all three days. I don't know for sure but the more the better. Good luck with the scope blocks, I heard from John Bly and he says he can do them so when i get the blocks I will give him a try. Jon

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Hey Jon, I was at the Spring N-SSA in Winchester this year...my first.  My shooting buddy and I are planning on coming up to the Fall shoot in a couple of weeks.  We're both active shooters in our disciplines, but he's primarily interested in the War of Northern Aggression from the historical standpoint, and frankly, I'll be there for the MAYNARDS!   Grin  Maybe I can meet up with you there and we can exchange notes on our respective Maynard projects, if interested please drop me a PM.

Froggie

PS  I agree with your assessment of John Bly's work.  I have some of his adapter rings and a shell holder.  He does good work.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint