Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I received my regular copy of the Journal! (Read 4524 times)
Dale53
Oldtimer

I received my regular copy of the Journal!
Sep 12th, 2005 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Well, I received my regular copy of the Journal today. That should mean that most everyone either has it or will have it shortly. Even Ken Hurst beat me Grin.

Enjoy!
Dale53

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Re: I received my regular copy of the Journal!
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
not me.. i'm still waiting..

ttfn..grampa..

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I am still waiting, too- does the pony express carry magazines? I guess they send it surface mail to california, all i know is it takes forever to get here.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 4:18am
Print Post  
Got mine last week -- in Australia.  Grin

Karl
IP Logged

dws8130
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 7:14am
Print Post  
In Kalifornistan I imagine it takes 3 or 4 months to get an American Rifleman or any gunrag yunless the send it in an anonymous unmarked plain brown envelope---or would that be against the law there too.

seriously,  Sending the Journals out is a significant problem and one that I hope to review, once we get the J back on schedule, and our advertising billing and revenues straightened out.  As it is we are mailing at the best compromise of speed and cost possible. All are mailed within a one or two day time span from Amherst Junction, Wisconsin. After that it is the tender hands of the USPS.
My understanding is that faster service is possible but at much higher cost and while some could probably afford it, a multi-tier mailing system is just not managable with our vounteer staff. Each month the membership chairman (ASST) has to prepare an updated mailing list for the printer to mail from; double checking for address changes (a real problem area), additions,and expirations; and then get the properly formatted list to the printer at a precise time in the production schedule. 
Another obvious issue is of course the instantanious gratification of the email world.  If it wasn't for forums like this you guys would not know when the USPS was delivering them elsewhere.  I know that most of the "reporting" on when your issue arrives is more in the nature of good natured gloating or whining--least I hope it is.  If any of you have serious issues I hope you address them directly to me
DWS

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 8:54am
Print Post  
After a long and intense investigation , compiling many weeks of data, I am still at a loss for how the USPS works.

The printer asked for the mailing list Aug., 22 and got it that same day, that is my normal practice.

They get it processed , and that is how they schedule their run.  It gives them how many and the costs etc.

Once they run them they are sorted by zips, or districts of the USPS.
The printed SSRJ's are loaded onto a contractor truck and they are taken to the district P.O., where they do what with them I do not know.  I am not sure they get to the P.O. right away either.

I have had guys in CA get theirs with in days of them getting picked up, and got mine 8 weeks later.

The reason the ones get over seas first is because they go a different postage rate.  Like $7.00 each, yep that much.

What is funny, the USPS machines will tear the covers off and the USPS delivers the cover..... minus the mag.  They done their job good so they figure.

I have even had SSRJ's returned for insufficient address..........there were actually one number added to the address so that local letter carrier was to dumb to see the name and sent it back. Each letter carrier does sort their own routes.

Not all USPS employees are this way, I have gotten mail in my box with the old Rural Route numbers on it, and they were the wrong numbers, but the P.O. folks know it comes to me.
There are real advantages to living in Bohunkville, USA. (rural America)

And yes I will be happy when we get back on a schedule......

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 10:57am
Print Post  
DWS;

>>>I know that most of the "reporting" on when your issue arrives is more in the nature of good natured gloating or whining--least I hope it is.<<<

If I complain because I haven't yet received my Journal it is "Whining" and I am jealous (but really NOT complaining). Grin. If I mention that I have received mine, I am not "gloating" but am telling the other folks that it is truly "on the way" (and I am HAPPY Grin) and they can hopefully be encouraged.

Dale

IP Logged

trapdoor1888
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Copy arrived in Northern Virginia yesterday afternoon

IP Logged

dws8130
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Dale, I know you would never gloat------------very much    Cheesy   or whine for that matter  Grin

the internet has really spoiled us in terms of it's immediacy, in a surprisingly few years.  For me at least, waiting for what used to be normal surface communications and shipping seems interminable and I find myself paaying extra for Priority and Express mail and shipping----some thing I owuld have never "wasted" money on a few short years ago

but maybe as I am getting older time seems to have more value and I hate wasting it waiting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint