Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .22 shooting (Read 6332 times)
Fred Humphrey
Ex Member

.22 shooting
Sep 7th, 2005 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Guys, a while back I inquired of the accuracy one should expect from a .22. I have aquired some different types of ammunition to experiment with and was wondering if cleaning between manufacturers would be necessary? If so why, would it be the lube, powder or case chambering? Thanks for the help. Fred Humphrey

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: .22 shooting
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Fred,

Answering your question fully would require a lengthy article. But in short.......

All the things you mention could be a cause of problems but the main one is fouling and it's build-up as you go along in your test.

If you start out with a clean gun for your first test ammo, and then continue on to the next you will be not be getting a true picture of either brand.

Most .22's with any accuracy potential require several shots to adjust themselves for best accuracy. I've seen some that would require 50 rds. before reaching their potential. Luckily these are few and far between.

As the fouling builds up in the throat a point will be reached somewhere where the accuracy starts to fall off...... This with just one brand. So if you exceeded your rifles limit but kept on shooting the next brand of ammo wouldn't show you it's best. Each gun will have a different point at which accuracy falls off. I have one that I've shot regularly for two years, with several different brands of ammo and haven't cleaned it yet. Still shoots as accuractely as the day I got it. A coupla others I have require cleaning after every match and need ten rounds or so to bring the accuracy back up.

So, unless you are willing to find the point at which your rifle loses accuracy with each brand of ammo in your test it's best to clean the gun EXACTLY the same way before you start, and before each brand is used. Then fire the same number of shots to condition the bore and warm the barrel up before proceeding with your testing.

If this is a topic that interests you I'd suggest calling Precision Shooting and see about getting the issues with the articles by Bill Calfee on this topic. He's written several articles that goes into much greater detail of the "why" of the above.

PETE

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
The accuray of 22 rimfire rifles is highly dependent on the quality of the ammunition you buy. One inch 10 shot groups at 100 yards are possible with Eley Tenex, Eley EPS Match, Lapua Midas Lapua+ Biathalon, or Federal UltraMatch in a good heavy barreled target rifle. However your expectations should only be three inch groups with sporter barrels using cheaper ammunition such as Winchester Target, Federal Target, PMC Match, Wichester Power Points etc. However variations do exist between lots of ammunition.

Cheaper ammunition's accuracy can be improved by weight sorting and/or sorting by rim thickness. It can also be improved by installing a barrel tuner on the end of the muzzle.

Rimfires do need to be cleaned occasionally to prevent loss of accuracy due to fouling. However I concur it takes up to 50 rounds to stablize the groups after cleaning. My Martini International MkII will continue to shoot accurately after 500 to 600 rounds after a cleaning.

However one should always clean and oil a barrel prior to storage in areas with high humidity. Nothing destroys a barrel's accuracy faster than the pitting resulting from the absorption and retention of moisture by the powder fouling left in the barrel.

Great care must also be taken when cleaning so as to not cause any damage to the edge of the barrel crown. Slight rounding of the muzzle edge (from hard cleaning rods) will also quickly affect the accuracy of your rimfire riflle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Both Pete and Dave have covered the answers way better than I could, but I wanted to add just one thought. In testing .22 ammo, don't leave out any brands. I've done a lot of trials with my Stevens 44 schuetzen rifle in .22, and the differences between the high quality ammo, like Eley, Lapua, and Federal match are not all that significant in my gun. Most will shoot very good groups, but surprisingly, my gun likes (of all things!) Remington Vipers. Especially as the distances go out further. It shoots very close to the most expensive ammo, but at the difference in price, I'll gladly shoot a slightly larger group, and get more practice in!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 9:11am
Print Post  
This is not a popular opinion I know but,

The top brands will almost always shoot well in a good target rifle. Once you find one stick with it.  Avalablity is more important than the actual brand. Lots of the stuff is hard to get.   

Good ammo pays, let me give you an example I shot with a Smallbore prone club when working in Australia.  They had 4 levels or classifactions.  Starting with an unfamiliar outfit end of season the scores I shot put me in the 4th beginner level.

I used a club rifle and could chose between Ely Club and Black box Ely.  You had to buy the ammo from the club and thats all they had.  The way they scored was the best of 20 - 20 shot matches.  And ran 100 pratice and 150 record matches a year. Every Wed night and Sat morning.   That is once you had 20 matches on the board you could replace a low score with a higher one if fired later. The best 20 matches were key. Classifactions were issued at the end of the year. No moving until then.

I jumped from 4th level to 2nd level in a year by 7 points.  I probably shot 50 of the record matches, Or 1000 rounds scored.  Using the Black box Ely.  Supose I used the Cheaper Club ? one or two flyers would have prevented my qualifiing for 2nd level. You can go to a Schuetzen match and see the same thing. Very few points seperate the top shooters. They cannot afford to use anything but the best.

As far as finding cheap ammo that shoots well ?  It's possable I guess but In all my years of competition I never saw a top shooter go that route.

Boats

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 12:34am
Print Post  
I'm just beginning to shoot a serious .22 at 100 yards (the Ballard of earlier posts).  I've been practicing with some hardware store stuff, but I'm at the point where I'd like to move up to the next best grade.  I can't shoot well enough to justify the cost of match ammo.  The old standard velocity stuff would probably be OK, but it is hard to find.  Any suggestions?

Richard

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Try Eley Club or Agulia. for the money they both shoot good. Wolf is good also but I think has become a little pricy for what it is.

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Richard,

I'm surprised that you can't find Standard Velocity ammo. If your local store doesn't carry it, they can get it for you in a few days. You can also order in a brick from Midway, or any of the other mail order outfits. I just got two bricks of Ely EPS by mail...... Actually this is probably the cheapest way to go if you do a little looking around. Plus any gun show you go to will certainly have it. At least they do around here.

But, I think you're being penny-wise and pound foolish if you feel that any old Standard Velocity ammo will be good enuf for you. From your message I would guess you are wanting to get into competitive target shooting?

I'm not the greatest shot in the world but I have found for match shooting the best ammo your gun will shoot is what you want to use in competition. I use Wolf Match Target for practicing and the Ely EPS for matches. I've found, even at my skill level, that the Ely is worth 5 to 10 points more on a target than the Wolf.

Another argument for using the high dollar stuff for practice is that you will never know what you are capable of if you shoot nothing but ammo that's not suited for your gun.

Each gun has to be shot with the different brands to see what it likes best. Some even shoot the low dollar stuff best. I have a Win. High Wall .22 that was re-lined by C.C. Johnson that will shoot plain ol' Win. T22 ammo better than anything else I've tried in it. But that's an exception. My Ballard likes the Ely best, and the BSA Mk IV likes the old Federal 900 UM1B best.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Richard

Pete is right, Figure the gas to drive to a match vs the cost of 100 rds of match ammo.

Std vel ordnary stuff will throw flyers,  It will cost points and more important not allow you to fine tune your positon and equipment.

Why was the shot out ?  Ammo or positon ???

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Even when I competed in league .22 matches, I rarely found my abilities to be on par with top shooters, and I felt that money spent on the top quality ammo was wasted on me and my gun. I did find that the standard velocity ammo from any of the major manufacturers, shot better in my Win. 52, than I could shoot. It also allowed me to practice more, as I could afford more of it, than the very expensive match ammo. I think any improvements I realised during the season were because of more practice, not the ammo I shot.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint