Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) On Gas and Weather (Read 7320 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

On Gas and Weather
Aug 31st, 2005 at 10:56am
Print Post  
OK you guys in Ohio and Eastern Indiana, how is it going up there?  Here in VA we got a LITTLE edge of Katrina yesterday and it's still a little breezy, but manageable.  The bad news is that gas has gone up over $.40/gal in the last 48 hours!  Shocked With my van I have to fill up somewhere south of Columbus, OH and again somewhere in the area between Warsaw and Ft. Wayne.  I'm having some real scary thoughts about the prospects of what it will cost just to get there and back.  Can anybody give me any info?  Undecided

TIA, Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: On Gas and Weather
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Charlie;
It's only money... Sad

I filled up a couple of days ago and it was about $2.52 or so. However, I haven't been "out and about" for a couple of days.

Just ignore it and come on up. The longer you think about it the worse it gets. We can't control it (except by parking our cars) so just live with it. Hopefully, things will get back to normal before long. I am NOT ready to park my car.

To put things in perspective, in the early 1950's gas was $.30 cents a gallon. Since inflation has made a dollar a dime in fifty years, gas is just now reaching the price it was in the 50's. No one suggested parking then and I am not going to now. "That's my story and I am stickin' to it!:

Dale53

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Charlie, over here in western Indiana (Terre Haute) gas was 3.19/gallon this morning on my way to work.  Be that as it may, I'm still heading to Friendship this weekend!

Greg

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking about hauling a couple of truckloads of BBQ'd ribs to New Orleans. 

Dick

IP Logged

oldsingleshots
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Bright and sunny in North Eastern Indiana today.  Yesterday was something different.  What was left of Katrina stuck around most of the day - some places getting 4-5 inches.  It has been dry this year - so the rain is welcome.  Just wish it hadn't come at the expense of all those folks down south.  Gas prices this morning in Muncie and Fort Wayne at $3.19/gal. for 85 oct.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Just be glad you folks can even buy gas at all. My son-in-law was in line yesterday for 5 1/2 hours to pay something over $3.50/gal. This in central Mississippi, there's NO gas south of here. So just go, and enjoy, & count your blessings, just think about us when you're lifting those adult beverages, OK?(VBG)
Don't worry be happy, Joe

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Joe,

Glad to see you made it through okay and are back posting!

Gas over $3 per gallon here in SD also.  But, I'm glad to be dry and have a roof over my head.

Another thing to celebrate, I received the high wall parts holy grail in the mail yesterday.  An original, unchipped, uncracked, #4 forearm!  Seller sold it to me as a forearm, didn't know the size.  It looked big, at least #3, so I took a chance at $95 including shipping.  That completes my thick side, octagon top, double set 32-40 special sporter, and the finish is even a good match.   

I'm trying to find time to inventory what my actions need and get them ready to send, haven't forgotten you.

dave

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Dave, you really lucked out on that forearm, I've had several #4 forearms but all have been cracked & split. I even (gasp!) GAVE one to Froggie several yrs ago!
I'm happy for you, Joe

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Joe, glad you're back online.  Ken called me and let me know that he had gotten the word you were OK, so I was able to relax on that issue!  Grin I also got word that friends of my family down around Birmingham are safe, so I felt a little better, but overall, the Gulf Coastal region is just such a big question mark that any good news is welcome.  Keep us up to date, please.

Dave, congratulations on your fore end.  Even a #3 oct fore end for a high-wall is a little hard to find around my circle of parts sources and the seller's "good shape" tends to be very different from my expectations!  Undecided  I was looking for one for my first complete rebuild of a high-wall (my .32-40 plain sporter) for over a year after I found the butt stock, then when I got it, the finish was a perfect match...they look like the came from Winchester together!   

BTW Dave, weren't you going to send me your SD mailing address so I could finally return a long mailing tube to your new place?  I'm going to start work on a (gasp) Ballard #5 now, and will sadly leave some of my Winchester work on a back burner for a little longer.  Well, this has gone OT and long, but since gas has a bargain price of $3+/gal here, I was afraid to chance it driving to Indiana, 'cause I couldn't cash in my retirement savings over Labor Day weekend to pay for it!    Cry

Froggie

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Gas here in central Iowa spiked yesterday.... for the time being anyway...... at #3.09, but came down this morning to $2.89. Hard to say how long it'll hold as the Guv says better than half our supply comes from the Gulf Coast around New Orleans.

Here's hoping all the people on here from that area made it thru in good shape. Man! Waht a mess!

PETE

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Spousal unit went out for gas today, got in line @ 1115 hrs & completed fueling @ 1805 hrs. But I have some good news! No, I didn't save a bunch of money on my car insurance but:

Gas was ONLY (!) $3/gal. so I'm happy
SHE Who Must Be Entertained now has gas for gallivanting so she's happy
I didn't hafta stay in line & suffer so I'm double happy

Hope you all are happy too, Joe

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Can't help but compare the aftermath of Katrina to the conditions after Hurricane Camille back in '69. Most of my buds were in the local Nat'l Guard or Army Reserve back then, and they were the ones who went down to the Coast during the martial law phase. They didn't hafta shoot anyone (or at least not many) & really didn't have any big-time problems with lawlessness here in MS back then.

Contrast those conditions with what we're seeing in New Orleans right now. People are shooting AT THE RESCUERS! The Superdome evacuation had to be discontinued because of shots fired at the helicopters, and the looters are ruling the streets in NO.

I'll simply say that IMO most of these problems were caused, directly & indirectly, by the LA local & state officials as well as some citizens in Louisiana.

The state & local governments have been repeatedly warned about flooding in NO & they've done nothing. Nothing.

The NO citizens were ordered, with plenty of time to spare, to evacuate but many/most didn't.

The NO & Orleans Parish law enforcement remain conspicuous by their absence on the news coverage.

The recent media attacks on our President & the federal gov response have gotten me mighty tight in the jaw. The folks who are so critical are full of it IMO, they either have an unrelated political agenda of their own (non-residents) or are feeling guilty/vulnerable and are trying desperately to shift the blame (residents & LA officials).

Now let me see if I've got this straight. These whiners chose to live in a coastal area that's below sea level, an area that the federal gov has repeatedly warned about flooding and evacuation, but yet they chose to remain there even when they knew a hurricane was going to hit! The local & state officials knew it would eventually flood but chose to ignore the problem because they didn't want to raise taxes or anger the voters by making them evacuate. DUH!

I know this forum is for single shot rifles and so I'll shut up now, email me privately for more facts & opinions or even if you disagree & want to argue.
End of rant, JMOFWIW, Joe

BTW I hope your gas prices get back to normal soon.

IP Logged

dws8130
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Frog,  you were greatly missed at EG, but considering the circumstances it was understood. Gas prices are high as everywhere, 2.99-3.49/gal depending on location and the degree of larceny in the stationowners hearts--'nuff said.

I can't say much about the scores or shooting as I got called back home for a family emergency Sat am and just went back down this  morning to pack up my gear and camper and drag it all back home.  Weather wise it was really nice, warm but not to hot, cool enough for comfortable sleeping at night, no rain and even the squirrely EG winds were not as strong as usual--at least to my sensabilities.  So I had one less excuse for my ususal crappy scores.  I didn;t even bother to turn in a target, and didn't have time to shoot the AA.
dws

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint