Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) QUESTION?? (Read 9717 times)
xxgrampa
Ex Member

QUESTION??
Jul 8th, 2005 at 1:56am
Print Post  
GREETINGS,

I GOT TO THINKING, (NOT A GOOD THING) and maybe this was discussed before, if the ASSRA is a schuetzen outfit, why are the raffle rifles allways silhouette rifles??

xxfn grampa..

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Re: QUESTION??
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 11:32am
Print Post  
"It is not ours to wonder why, it's only
ours to fight and die!"

Roughly from the "Charge of the Light Brigade."

Dick

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Grandpa,

Well, looking at the current rifle I'd say it was more along the lines of a LR rifle considering the tang sight is definitely a LR model, and it also has a sight base near the butt plate. The Rigby flats on the breech end of the thin round 34" barrel in order to make wgt., along with the caliber, and the way the forearm is attached, suggest a classic style LR rifle. The drop in the stock would definitely not make it a Shilouette rifle.

PETE

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Jess y'all hold up now, ya heer !   Y'all don't know whats in the works for the next rifle. I believe I'd be safe in stating that it will be a killer & thats my story and I'm sticking to it.   Ken

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
XXGrampa!
That's a good question. Here is the answer as I see it. The original Classic Rifle and the "Classic Rifle in the works" were donated to us. It just so happened that the Sharps-Borschardt was a new rifle action "just released" and it was not only a wonderful thing for Al Storey (THE man at the manufacturer) to do but it also publisized his new rifle. That particular action was a "natural" for a long range rifle.
The same applied to the Frank Wesson action so generously donated by Steve Earle. It also was a natural for a long range rifle.

All of the other people who so generously donated their labor and parts need to be supported by all of us. This includes, but is not limited to Ken Hurst (who will have engraved four by the time the next one is announced), Bernie Harrell who did the wood work on the first Classic Rifle, and Steve Durren who is doing ALL of the gunsmith work (including wood work) on the Wesson. Read the write ups for ALL of the people who so generously donated to ASSRA. These are people who don't just "talk a good game" but PLAY a good game! Patronize them when you need work and parts, etc. The best way we can show our appreciation is to patronize them.

Just watch what's next coming...

In the meantime, the tickets go on sale with the next issue of the magazine (SSRJournal).

Dale53

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 12:16am
Print Post  
dale, you are most certainly rite about them being good fellas one and all.

if i wasn't such a shy and reserved type of person, i'd give them smoochies all.(:>).. oh, forgot i could use josh's smiley faces.. Grin

PS. just paid off my 2nd mortgage from the last round of buying tickets. now i can re-fi again..

..ttfn..grampa..

PPS, just resurected the staump / hurst action. think i can finally start on it again..

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Please correct me if I am wrong but are we not a "single-shot rifle" organization and not just a "schuetzen" organization? Does this not include alll forms of shooting and collecting? I am confused!

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Flatlander & etc. --     Yeah, you are right about being all inclusive.  Our ( boys that do the work ) idea is to offer rifles that will cover all interest. Each year we will offer different types/styles of rifles that should cover all interest and leave no one out. We want to build each rifle as a showpiece offering the best of our combined talents . Hopefully this effort(acquired loot )  will increase our membership & fatten ASSRA larders for promotion of each shooting disipline . I would also say there is a great opertunity for someone to get a great rifle cheap Grin. I'd buy tickets but "we" can't win the durn thang.    Ken (AKA, ol hacken slash )

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Seems like I remember that the first raffle rifle was a 22LR, not exactly a Silhouette caliber. Of course it could be used for the new rimfire buffalo silhouette games, but when I think of a single shot silhouette rifle, I think of the usual 12 lb 2 oz BPCRS rifle in 45-70 or 40-65. Have we had one of those yet?

I'm just grateful that we have a few members who care enough to actually contribute their time and money to the club, without getting paid for it. AND darn glad that their efforts result in a few other members getting fine new rifles of whatever style.

On one memorable occasion my old boss was announcing a party for the group, with free food and beverages including beer. One of the engineers held up his hand to ask a question, "What kind of beer IS it, Grover?"

The response was classic: "It's FREE beer, Billy! Any more unnecessary questions?"
My compliments & gratitude to the artisans involved, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
JD Steele;
Even tho' we have not met, I still consider you a friend (what else would a feller call another feller who expresses himself so well plus seems to know what he is talking about  Grin) but we will definitely have to disagree on one thing!! (emphasis applied). 

Since when is a .22 NOT a schuetzen caliber? It is a WONDERFUL schuetzen caliber even if it is not a center fire. We have .22 only matches at Etna Green and a number of organizations shoot indoors thru the winter with .22's just to keep their hands in. Further, I have seen MANY old pictures of such serious shooters as Adolph Neidner posed with his friends and ALL of them were holding single shot .22's. In fact, Thomas Edison (yep, the REAL Thomas Edison) sponsored a Gallery Schuetzen program. The Edison Trophy is in the picture hanging in the club house at Etna Green (Beeson's Range).

I am still friendly, and will remain so Wink, but I just couldn't let that pass, J.D.

All the best,
Dale53

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
hi ho all,

nice to see everybody waking up a little.. Grin, (what a great smilie face that toothy critter is).

dear dick n, the  quote as i remember it is, "ours is not to reason why, but to do like the man sez"

and a special greeting to you  mr flatlander. don't believe i had the pleasure or your aquaintanceship. allow we to give you a firm handshake and  heartywelcome to the assra site. these are a great bunch of people and they know their stuff.

please feel free to ask, answer or participate in any discussion. do not worry you may be wrong, it never bothered me..

i trust you are a member or the assra, if not, just leave a post for the ass't. he will gladly assist you in joining.

you are rite in thinking the assra is a muli disiplin org. at one time it was schutzen, then slowly it started taking in other forms of shooting. don't know how that happened, but, it did.. maybe to sell more magazines.?

anyways and howsomever, once again.. WELCOME.. glad to have you..

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Hi Dale53,
I too consider you a friend even though we've never met or corresponded, but we have a plethora of mutual friends and colleagues, all of whom speak very highly of you. So I know you must be a pretty fine fellow. I well remember our first cyber exchange, it was several years ago, on the subject of the difference between the two Lyman heavy 44 cal Keith SWCs, one with and one without a gas check. On that occasion you courteously pointed out that I had quoted the wrong mould number, and you very gently & kindly corrected me.

Please alllow me to show you the same attention and courtesy, by gently and kindly bringing to your attention that I said the 22LR was not exactly my idea of a SILHOUETTE cartridge, not a Schuetzen one! As a matter of fact, one of my most cherished Schuetzen rifles is a high wall 22LR that I got from Froggie in a different form years ago. It currently sports a Walker-style lever from the same source, and I'll bet he sometimes wishes he had it back!

Actually the 22LR really does make a fun silhouette cartridge in the new rimfire buffalo silhouette games. I have a set of the steel RF targets & am working on a set of stands with steel splash plates for backers. Now that my shooting season is over until October, maybe I can finish 'em.
Best regards, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 12:04am
Print Post  
J.D.;
Boy, is my face RED! Embarrassed. I just flat misread your message. I apologize, kind sir!

On the Silhouette question, I and a couple of friends started a "sub-caliber" BPCR Silhouette game several years ago at our local range (Butler County Sportsmen near Hamilton, Ohio). It is doing VERY well and we have LOTS of fun. We only have 100 yards, maximum, so we shoot at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards (chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams). We started out like the BPCR shooters and shot the chickens offhand and the rest off sticks. However, the boys got too good, so now we shoot both the chickens AND pigs offhand with the turkeys and rams off sticks. We have several perfect scores this year, again, so we may have to do more offhand. 

However, this has a downside. Shooting half the targets off sticks, beginners still get a pretty good numerical score and get encouraged to come back. If we go to all targets offhand like the NRA does in .22 silhouette sanctioned competition, we are afraid that we will not encourage new shooters. Our present program is working and we would like to "keep the ball rolling".

Need I mention, we are really having lots of fun?

Marsh and Glenn (HST) both have shot on our range. I believe that Glenn may have been the first to shoot a perfect score with iron sights. Glenn was using his BPCR Roller converted to .22 rimfire (with .22 insert) to shoot that score! That is fine shooting by any standard and near unbelievable with an insert rifle. That's the stuff legends are made of. Of course, Glenn's insert rifle will shoot under an inch at 100 yards. Need I mention that he is a pretty fair "mechanic", also Grin.

Dale53

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Joe, don't worry your delicate little head about that lever.  Although I felt pangs of regret soon after I swapped it to you, I was fortunate enough to acquire another one from my friend 40Rod who had started filing and cleaning one up then decided he liked something else better.  As a result, I have the one on my take-down high-wall and one for that special project that is as yet just a gleam in my eye.  Needless to say, I don't plan to make the same mistake again. (Famous last words!)
Glad to hear that high-wall worked so well for you.  As I recall, that was one of your projects you were really hot to get going on, so it's gratifying to have contributed to its success.   

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Dale, we had a similar problem at my old gun club where the steel targets originated. The rifle range portion of the club is temporarily (we hope) defunct, but I'm the official custodian of all the steel stuff for its eventual revival. (there's a real lesson for the rest of you in this, but it'll hafta wait for another time, it's called "How To Lose Your Rifle Range")

We ended up using a combination of targets and ranges, all to be shot offhand. Like your club, we only had 100 yds & so shot at half-distances of 25, 50, 75 & 100 yds & ultimately shot all from the standing position. However to ensure encouraging scores for the neophytes, we used a combination of rifle and handgun RF silhouettes, five of each size at each range. This pretty well guaranteed a fairly good minimum score for even the least-experienced, at least enough so that no one COMPLETELY disgraced themselves!

It's perfectly possible to clean this course, but the highest score in the only three matches we fired was a 37, actually a 36 because one of the silhouettes didn't hit the ground but stayed on the rail after the knockdown. The only downside is the purchase of more steel targets in the handgun size.
More fun than the proverbial barrel of monkeys, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint