Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Storie/Frontier Castings Kits (Read 16756 times)
Tentman
Ex Member

Storie/Frontier Castings Kits
Jun 6th, 2005 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Hello Guys

I’ve been lurking for a fortnight or so after finding this wonderful resource of knowledge and expertise.

I want a “classic” single shot so bad I can taste it but everything I have seen to date has been priced well beyond my means, and/or very difficult to “repatriate” to NZ.  I saw references to Rodney Storie’s action castings in my De Haas books and searching here I have come up with quite a bit of information on the types available and where to get them, and figure that maybe I could build it myself.

Years ago I built one of the Frank De Haas “Chicopee RF” actions, and while it was not fancy, it functioned satisfactorily.  I have done a bit of blacksmithing and can handle a file but don’t have milling or turning equipment.  However I do have access to this sort of expertise through family, one of who is a fitter/welder and another who makes model steam engines etc.  Failing this I live in a very engineering orientated city, and we have quite a number of precision engineering shops.  A good friend who lives in another city is a Gunsmith, and would fit and chamber a barrel

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to give me some more details on the work required to finish a set of castings.

Secondly I’d be interested in opinions as to which action might be best to tackle with the gear and experience I have available??  I like the Farrow actions, and also the Highwall.  I have a feeling that the tipping block type may be slightly more forgiving than the straight mortise actions when it comes to hand finishing – what do you think??  I have had a look at the Action Arms site, and feel that the Westley-Richards is more complex than I’d like to tackle.

I want to chamber in a rimmed 7mm cartridge, something like a 7x57R, 7x30Waters or similar, it’s pretty dependant on what reamer we can locate over here.

Cheers – Foster

Southland
New Zealand

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Re: Storie/Frontier Castings Kits
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 8:02am
Print Post  
I'm no machinist, but I have similar dreams. Someday I'll learn how to run a mill, etc., but not this year. Anyway, if you do not have a copy of FA's catalog, I can e-mail you a .zip of all the individual files he sent me -- I don't think he'd mind. You might wish to visit (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and read their comments on hand finishing one of their Farquharson actions.

Best wishes,

Karl

Karl
IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Foster:

Mr. Storie's castings are good products but they are simply castings. You will need tool machines to finish one. 

However, if you would be happy with a Remington Hepburn action there is another source.  Doc Carlson in Oklahoma (I think) makes a Hepburn action casting kit with some of the critical machining done. The hole for the barrel is threaded and most of the holes in the action are drilled.

The action can be finished with hand tools and a little skill and a Lot of Patience. Some of the work would best be done by machine, but it could be done by hand. The kit comes with instructions that are pretty good. All in all it is pretty well thought out, having two sets of screws and all the springs and such.

I can find the address of Mr Carlson if you wish. I have no connection with him, the above is just my honest impression of a kit I built an action from a year or two ago

Glenn

IP Logged

Tentman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Hello Guys

Thanks for your ideas, HST I would be very interested in Mr Carlsons address, this sounds like a very good option.

Cheers - Foster

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Karl- I wopuld greatly appreciate a copy of the Storie .zip file!

Willis Gregory

<singleshot@comporium.net>

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

monkeyboy
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Tentman, Doc Carlson can be found at--Upper Missouri Trading Co. in Crofton,Ne.68730. 402-388-4844. They also have a website with an article on their Hepburn action at--www.uppermotradingco.com            Monkeyboy.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I've uploaded the (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) I have from Frontier Armory for others to view. Please be aware the information is a few months old.

Karl
IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Tentman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I'll add my thanks to that also .

Cheers - Foster

IP Logged

granute
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Some time ago I sent for one of the kits (borchardt) and when
it arrived the box contained simple parts castings; there are
no pins, screws, or springs. There are also no drawings. I made inquiry of John King as to completeing the 'action', but
he said it would be a costly operation for their SHOP to 
perform as they had nothing to go by and some parts would
have to be made. He indicated that there may be other parts
sources (screws,springs), but it would still be a difficult task
without detailed plans to work from. 
If you purchase such a 'kit' I suggest that you find detailed
drawings somewhere as well. Without the jigs and special
tools it may costly experiment...

IP Logged

Tentman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Hmmm - having seen the photos of the Storie ( and Action Arms) castings, I can see that they are indeed a lot of work, and that some real tools are required.

I have been thinking (always a dangerous thing) and maybe there is another way.  What say several like minded people got together and designed an action specifically for home finishing ?? 

Here's my thoughts:

If we can agree a design to work to (very easy to say but would be a mission in itself) then we commission CAD drawings that can be read for CNC and EDM cutting to get the most basic parts made in our local machine shops - sort of a shared file.

I envisage ending up with fully precision machined MAJOR parts eg reciever, breechblock, and maybe lever.  Each person would supply their own links springs, pins etc, but the design would be optimised so that these were as "off the shelf" as possible.  For example the Hagn action has only one screw I think.  Further if we used as many off the shelf parts like trigger etc this would also simplify the project.

Does anyone think this has merit.  I think it would be a better use of $300 than buying Storie castings in my own case (no disrespect to Mr Storie).  If there is interest we should probably start a new thread.

Cheers - Foster

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 1:29am
Print Post  
I  did the autocad drawings for most of these actions, however bud smith of Tools international felt there was no need for the sharps-borcharct drawings, as there appeared to be no demand for the castings. I did the remington hepburn, rolling block, sharps 1874, farrow, ballard, high wall, and some sights. These drawings are still availavle.

IP Logged

Tentman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Singleshot, this is a most interesting revelation, who owns the drawings ?  What level Autocad are they in ?  If you own the rights what sort of $ might it take to purchase an electronic copy with "rights" to build an action from it ??

What do you think might be the cost to do the electronic plans of a "new" action from dimensioned drawings, either in $, hours or both?  Would you be prepared to undertake such a project?  Feel free to private message me to discuss "details"

Cheers - Foster

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 5:44am
Print Post  
granute: Please note that F.A. indicated they do have drawings available separately for the Borchardt.  You may wish to contact them.

Tentman: ASSRA offers the old Tools Int'l drawings to members as part of their Archives service. I obtained copies (only $10 for each action) for all but the Sharps, and I can say they are well done.

The process you describe (CAD + CNC + EDM) is just what Steve Earle has done to make his Wesson kits. Please read the (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) in the SSRJ feature of the month section of this web site. If you reach critical mass for your project, you might contact him regarding having the work done. I believe I read (1) his action, in the white, is about $1200, and (2) he made about 35 for the first run, so you are looking at that price minimum, per action.

As for me and my project, it isn't complete even in my mind's eye, and I am not ready to commit to a design. I'd be happy to discuss a new single shot design, and perhaps I'd agree to be a purchaser of the one you organise. If you wish to explore this, start a new thread in this section and see what we all come up with. I have to believe it will be difficult to get an original design "by committee" together, but perhaps one of the classics could be done. I think I recall reading Earle was to begin work on another kit, so you might ask him what he's up to.

Karl
IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 5:56am
Print Post  
hst: I looked over the description of Carlson's Hepburn kit. He asks the action be used only for blackpowder. Do you think this a limitation of the casting's quality, the Hepburn's dimensions, or just being conservative?

By quality of the casting, I don't wish to question his integrity or the like. I know Ruger casts No. 1 actions of great strength, but I'm not a metallurgist, and I don't know what is required to make such a sound casting in limited numbers. Is a special heat treatment required to turn a basic casting into a high strength job? Perhaps special casting techniques or alloys, not suitable for limited production, is used by Ruger.

Perhaps the Hepburn just doesn't have enough metal where it's needed to contain more modern cartridges. I understand the rebounding hammer of the Hepburn places some limitation on peak pressure, so maybe that is why Carlson set his limits.

A Hepburn in .30-40 would make for a nice rifle...

Karl
IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
KWK,    I am associated with Steve Earle. I talked him into getting started with the Wesson about a year and a half back.  He has gone thru those first (4) initial actions and has made a second run of 40 actions (all of which have been purchased). Steve is presently assembling actions from the available parts and won't be available for this project for quite a while as he is somewhat backordered. Once the demand for the Wesson slows down, we have discussed offering an improved Ballard action. This action will be built with much tighter tolerances, have a solid breechblock, P.G. action and a Mann-Neidner firing pin bushing. We also plan on offering it with a Pope , ball and spur and, three finger loop lever.     Ken

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Singleshotman ---   I own a Farrow, Hepburn,  D.S. Cole and a Redfield that I got from Rodney. Looks as if I benefited from your services.   Ken

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Singleshotman ---  brainf**t.   You will, see the Hepburn action you helped produce on the cover of the next "Journal" along with its development story.    Ken

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Ken, that Ballard you describe has me salivating (although I do prefer straight stocks).  I'll watch for word of progress on this one.

Karl
IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:53am
Print Post  
KWK,   there were many Ballards made with the P.G. action (refer to John Dutchers book) .  Also, I forgot to add that the solid breechblock would have an access panel that would be machined with a 3-5 degree draft . This draft would allow the access plate to fall away from breechblock once the screws were removed. I'm sorry to say that this action isn't programed yet & won't be started until the orders for the Wesson slow down. I'll keep all posted.   Ken

IP Logged

is0086s

Bob Ryan

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
This thread raises all sorts of questions in my mind.

Singelshotman - back when tools int. was functioning there was also a set of castings for the remington rolling block  pistol. Do you know if there were drawings for it? IF so, where can I get a set?

Re the Hepburn kit are the castings that are machined made from the storie moulds or are they a seperate set of moulds?

Re the limit on the upper missouri kit to black powder, is it possible that limit is caused by the 8620 not being heat treated?  I'd assumed real hepburns were very strong. I know heat treated 8620 is very strong. I assume the kit is not heat treated so the buyer can work on it. If it were hardened it'd be real bear.

Bob Ryan

IP Logged

granute
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Gentleman - Has anyone considered the other problem with
making actions  ? You know, that little issue of 'making a firearm' and the federal forms/taxes required ?  Steve Earle
I believe is a "manufacturer". He can 'make' and sell actions.
I believe that doesn't apply to the rest of us.
As for our brothers in arms down under, I don't know what
laws would apply to making a firearm, but in the US, the BATF
doesn't care about our law abiding nature; and they'll happily
come down on an unlawfully made singleshot the same as 
making your own Thompson reciever (maybe you wanted to
reproduce the Model 1927 semi-auto) maybe, ,,
I think that the BATF pre-approval and payment of the tax
and serializing of the action would be required - before the
action was completed. 
I'am not a lawyer - I have a personal sense of honor - and I
am not working for BATF. I just thought about this when my
Borchardt project got started and since I didn't follow it thru,
I never got to the point of working out this last  part.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Agreed, one must look into the appropriate laws. For what it's worth, I believe I read that so long as you never sell or otherwise transfer ownership of a homemade rifle, it's ok. DO CHECK FIRST, though.

Karl
IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 2:01am
Print Post  
for what it's worth, i was informed by bud smith, the owner of tools international, that it's entirely legal to make your own rifle-the problem only arises if you wish to sell it-then you have problems. Re: pevoious questions: I didn't know there are remington rolling block pistol drawings in existance. I also believe that the same molds are used in the present as in the previous castings, believe me it's a lot of trouble to make new patterns-even if it's a wax casting.

IP Logged

Dai.S.Loe
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I thank you for this discussion. I live here in New Zealand and original singler shot rifles are very rare, apart from the Rolling Blocks.

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a casting and building a repro of a Ballard. 

I only found this site 2 days ago andf have been streadily trolling through it trying to catch up on all the information.

Please bear with me if I am not a prolific poster of questions/ answers but until I am sure of my ground I will lurk for a while.

In NZ it is leagal to make any firearm yourself as long as you have the appropriate licence. At a show recently, on display was a reproduction of a Gatling Gun in 7.62 x 39. This firearm was leagally produced as it is considered a multi barrelled single shot rifle and as such coimes under a normal rifle licence. All that is asked is that a serial number is place on the firearm. It is then legal.

Dai.

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jul 7th, 2006 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know of someone offering a 1885 High Wall action in machined parts/kit form like those of the mentioned Hepburn?

Are the Tools International drawings still available for $10?

Does Frontier Armory offer drawings and if so how much are they?

AC

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dave_C
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jul 7th, 2006 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
The drawings from Frontier Armory were an additional 20.00 with the kit.

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Jul 8th, 2006 at 12:55am
Print Post  
In reference to the Hepburn, has anyone done the Hepburn casting kit in a Walker type of action?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint