Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Storie/Frontier Castings Kits (Read 16738 times)
ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Storie/Frontier Castings Kits
Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
KWK,    I am associated with Steve Earle. I talked him into getting started with the Wesson about a year and a half back.  He has gone thru those first (4) initial actions and has made a second run of 40 actions (all of which have been purchased). Steve is presently assembling actions from the available parts and won't be available for this project for quite a while as he is somewhat backordered. Once the demand for the Wesson slows down, we have discussed offering an improved Ballard action. This action will be built with much tighter tolerances, have a solid breechblock, P.G. action and a Mann-Neidner firing pin bushing. We also plan on offering it with a Pope , ball and spur and, three finger loop lever.     Ken

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Singleshotman ---   I own a Farrow, Hepburn,  D.S. Cole and a Redfield that I got from Rodney. Looks as if I benefited from your services.   Ken

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Singleshotman ---  brainf**t.   You will, see the Hepburn action you helped produce on the cover of the next "Journal" along with its development story.    Ken

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Ken, that Ballard you describe has me salivating (although I do prefer straight stocks).  I'll watch for word of progress on this one.

Karl
IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:53am
Print Post  
KWK,   there were many Ballards made with the P.G. action (refer to John Dutchers book) .  Also, I forgot to add that the solid breechblock would have an access panel that would be machined with a 3-5 degree draft . This draft would allow the access plate to fall away from breechblock once the screws were removed. I'm sorry to say that this action isn't programed yet & won't be started until the orders for the Wesson slow down. I'll keep all posted.   Ken

IP Logged

is0086s

Bob Ryan

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
This thread raises all sorts of questions in my mind.

Singelshotman - back when tools int. was functioning there was also a set of castings for the remington rolling block  pistol. Do you know if there were drawings for it? IF so, where can I get a set?

Re the Hepburn kit are the castings that are machined made from the storie moulds or are they a seperate set of moulds?

Re the limit on the upper missouri kit to black powder, is it possible that limit is caused by the 8620 not being heat treated?  I'd assumed real hepburns were very strong. I know heat treated 8620 is very strong. I assume the kit is not heat treated so the buyer can work on it. If it were hardened it'd be real bear.

Bob Ryan

IP Logged

granute
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Gentleman - Has anyone considered the other problem with
making actions  ? You know, that little issue of 'making a firearm' and the federal forms/taxes required ?  Steve Earle
I believe is a "manufacturer". He can 'make' and sell actions.
I believe that doesn't apply to the rest of us.
As for our brothers in arms down under, I don't know what
laws would apply to making a firearm, but in the US, the BATF
doesn't care about our law abiding nature; and they'll happily
come down on an unlawfully made singleshot the same as 
making your own Thompson reciever (maybe you wanted to
reproduce the Model 1927 semi-auto) maybe, ,,
I think that the BATF pre-approval and payment of the tax
and serializing of the action would be required - before the
action was completed. 
I'am not a lawyer - I have a personal sense of honor - and I
am not working for BATF. I just thought about this when my
Borchardt project got started and since I didn't follow it thru,
I never got to the point of working out this last  part.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Agreed, one must look into the appropriate laws. For what it's worth, I believe I read that so long as you never sell or otherwise transfer ownership of a homemade rifle, it's ok. DO CHECK FIRST, though.

Karl
IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 2:01am
Print Post  
for what it's worth, i was informed by bud smith, the owner of tools international, that it's entirely legal to make your own rifle-the problem only arises if you wish to sell it-then you have problems. Re: pevoious questions: I didn't know there are remington rolling block pistol drawings in existance. I also believe that the same molds are used in the present as in the previous castings, believe me it's a lot of trouble to make new patterns-even if it's a wax casting.

IP Logged

Dai.S.Loe
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I thank you for this discussion. I live here in New Zealand and original singler shot rifles are very rare, apart from the Rolling Blocks.

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a casting and building a repro of a Ballard. 

I only found this site 2 days ago andf have been streadily trolling through it trying to catch up on all the information.

Please bear with me if I am not a prolific poster of questions/ answers but until I am sure of my ground I will lurk for a while.

In NZ it is leagal to make any firearm yourself as long as you have the appropriate licence. At a show recently, on display was a reproduction of a Gatling Gun in 7.62 x 39. This firearm was leagally produced as it is considered a multi barrelled single shot rifle and as such coimes under a normal rifle licence. All that is asked is that a serial number is place on the firearm. It is then legal.

Dai.

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jul 7th, 2006 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know of someone offering a 1885 High Wall action in machined parts/kit form like those of the mentioned Hepburn?

Are the Tools International drawings still available for $10?

Does Frontier Armory offer drawings and if so how much are they?

AC

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dave_C
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jul 7th, 2006 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
The drawings from Frontier Armory were an additional 20.00 with the kit.

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Jul 8th, 2006 at 12:55am
Print Post  
In reference to the Hepburn, has anyone done the Hepburn casting kit in a Walker type of action?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint