Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hudson / Hayes Record Attempt (Read 13756 times)
Poison_Slinger
Participating Member

Hudson / Hayes Record Attempt
Jun 5th, 2005 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Good folks,

We shot our regular monthly Schuetzen match here in Cody last Saturday and we had one person try to beat the records... You guessed, it was Steve Garbe.

We had a 'typical' cody breeze; about 3-7 from the west but was variable both in speed and direction. Garbe shot an official 2172 score with one target being a personal off-hand best of 237. This was made more interesting in the fact he was shooting his Ballard-Schoyen .22 RF for the attempt with iron sights. The equipment list: Ballard Rifle, crosswire front &  Ballard Rear sights, 900 Federal ammunition. It took him just under 2 hours for the attempt.

I understand that one other person has officially attempted this match, but we have not received his entry, nor official scores. We would like to keep track of the attempts - so please send the WSU your information. For the moment, send it to WSU/CO Rick Patton, 1007 Meadow Lane, Cody, Wy. 82414. Don't forget- if you attempt this match you need to pay your Schuetzenmeister BEFORE the match and have him/her send in the fees and scores ASAP. This way the prize pot keeps growing (the WSU is not receiving any portion of the match fees, they are all going to the prize fund). I'll be getting a WSU P.O. box soon and will be posting that information.

Thanks a bunch, an good shooting to SPG. We hope to see more attempts in the near future!

Rick Patton

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Re: Hudson / Hayes Record Attempt
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Fine score,  and under 2 hours! If you have decent conditions those .22 rimfires will produce good results. 

Dick

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
AND...... I assume at 200 yds. to. WOW! I'm pretty sure I couldn't shoot that 237 off the bench at that range with a .22.

PETE

IP Logged

Poison_Slinger
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Yes... I forgot to note Steve shot the match at 200 yards.

Rick

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Rick,

Here's a little footnote to Steve's run for the record. I looked up the scores Hudson shot in his record attempt as it seemed that I recalled that Steve's 237 would have been pretty close to the highest score Hudson shot. It was!  Smiley Hudson's highest target was a 236!

So, even tho Steve didn't get the Hudson record he can have a little satsfaction in knowing he's shooting right up there with the best of the old timers.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 8:09am
Print Post  
I think Steve Garbe is on to something good.

I have always thought a light wind conditon that is well defined shoots better than no wind at all and much better than strong wind. No wind gives you a false security and strong wind blows you around while trying to hold.

Rimfire and shooting in a short time may be the best way to attempt the record. When the conditions are right a 22 will shoot with anything.   

If you shot Smallbore sillouette given the relay times and transposed to 100 shots  you would have 70 minutes for 100 shots. (2 1/2 minutes for 5 shots)  it's plenty of time and most people finish the relay with time to spare.

The big difference is in Silloutte you have a spotter, in Schuetzen you have the paper target to spot your own shots. You can waste a lot of time spotting every shot.  Once the sights are confirmed not using the spotting scope and running the match while conditions are consistent may well be the best way.

Highpower scores are generaly not as high. Mostly due to the recoil and time spent recovering and reloading. Same would hold true for our Schuetzen rifles.  I shot 20 rounds pratice yesterday. Getting the shots off with little hold time, breech seating with no wasted motion, and only spotting with the rifles scope,  it took me 35 minutes for 20 shots. That would transpose to about 3 1/2 hours for the Hudson match.

The chance for a conditon change would be about double Centerfire vs Rimfire. 

I would say the strategy was right and Steve shoots very well which pulls it all together. 

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 9:22am
Print Post  
  Not to take anything away from the scores that Steve is shooting. I'd have a hard time shooting his high .22 target off the bench at 200 yds. with that caliber.

But....... It would seem to me that if an attempt is made at either the Hudson or Hayes record that it should be shot with a gun similar to what those two shot. Just offhand I'd say that to do the job in the "Spirit of the Game" that it should be shot with a CF rifle over .30 cal.

Steve, I'm sure, will be the first to admit that the larger the cal. you shoot the more firing fatigue you have shooting offhand when dealing with the recoil and rifle control factors than is present with the lesser cal.'s. It's one of the reasons the old timers progressed from .45 cal.'s down to the .40's, .38's, .32's, .28's, & .25's. As you progress down the list scores increase when all other conditions are equal. After a length of time it was found that the .32/.35 cal. class of cartridges was the best for offhand shooting under the varying conditions found at matches.

I've talked to some of our local Schuetzen shooters and they agree with my viewpoint. Are we wrong? I'd like to hear some comments on what others think.

PETE

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I'd agree that you reach a point of diminishing return with the larger calibers. I"m mostly refering to offhand shooting. For myself and others I know it's seems that the 38-55 can be tiresome for the Hudson match with the 32-40 being much less so. I shot a 33 for a number of years and found that for myself that was about the limit. I think though that it's more about bullet weight and given velocity than caliber. Although I know that weight and diameter begin to be proportional. That may not be clear, I'm saying that 230 grain bullets in 32 cal can be just as tiring as 230's in a 33 perhaps more so than 200's in a 33.

It's still a game of skill and the guys that are good are gonna beat you with whatever they shoot. The fact that Steve used a 22 probably made his attempt more difficult rather than easier. Regardless of what the naysayers say the Hudson match is not an endurance contest. Charlie Dell shot it well into his late 70's and has only now stopped due to failing eyesight. I'd like to see some reasearch to determine what the rules were at the turn of the century. Were the shooters allowed to improvise and use state of the art? If so, then if we improvise or use state of the art, What's the difference. They used whatever edge they could and stay within the rules. We do the same. The differences in technology are really minimal and the truth be known we have access to better barrels than they ever had. Pope wouldn't make a barrel for just anyone.

We get too hung up on these comparisons, one last analogy; If this was pool, the guys like Luke and Blender could kick "our" butt with a broomhandle. It's a little about equipment, a little about holding the rifle still and a whole lot about mind control. (2 cents)

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Stevens52,

You make some good points. The question tho isn't whether a good shooter can beat us with any rifle. In the case of the Hudson/Hayes records it's if those same shooters could duplicate those gentlemen's scores using the same type rifle. Fatigue being what it is I would suspect anyone shooting a .32 would see their scores lower than when using a .22. That seems to be the case with my own shooting of both rim and CF guns.

.22's were available at the time and some very respectable scores shot with them indoors at 50 & 75 ft. I can't say for sure but believe no one shot a .22 when Hudson set his record. In fact I don't ever recall reading of anyone using a .22 rifle in regular 200 yd. competition.

The match Hudson set his record in was the first major match where telescopic sights were allowed which caused a few of the better shooters to go home. In fact the man who the money said would win went home, and due to time the time factor and number of shooters, L.P. Ittel DNF. Another shooter who was expected to win. Hudson shot his record with iron sights so that put to rest the idea there was an advantage to using scopes, altho the 2nd, 3rd, & 5th place shooters did use them. Also Hudson used a duplex load consisting of  5 grs. of duPont No. 1 smokeless and the rest of the case filled with FG King's semi-smokeless.

Of the top 27 shooters whose equipment was listed in S&F 15 used .32/40's, 3 used .33/40's, and the rest didn't give the calibers they used.

Of those 27 shooters 15 used Stevens-Pope-Ballard rifles, 5 used Stevens-Pope rifles, 1 Sharps-Brochardt, and the rest used Winchester or Ballard barrels on various actions.

If powder was listed it was always King's Semi-Smokeless.

So, to again bring up my point. No one at that match shot anything less than a .32/40 as far as was recorded at the time. A lot of people do a lot of talking about "The Spirit of the Game". So in the "Spirit of the Game" shouldn't any try for the record be done with similar rifles and cartridges used by Hudson and his fellow competitors? Seems to me this would level the playing field beween us and the man who set the record. Maybe if you use any other caliber then we should put an asterisk behind that score to signify it wasn't accomplished under the same conditions.

PETE

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Should we find-out what kind of shoes Hudson was wearing during this match and only allow the record to be broken with those shoes, color, size etc. If Steve Garbe or anyone else can break that record with a 22RF he has my vote as the best off-hand shooter that this game has seen.
     I consider myself a traditionist but everyone has a different interruption of the word.  I think everyone might agree that if we nit-pick the rules,sooner or later the whole thing becomes pointless.   leadball

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
With all due respect, I think you make my point for me. Do you suppose the "traditionalists" who shot black powder allowed that King's Semi-smokeless wasn't in the "spirit of the match" and thus refused to recognize any "new" records? Do you suppose that the Iron sight shooters who were upset refused to recognize any new records or MAYBE...and I think this is probably the case.......they sulked a while, grumbled awhile, discussed it on the chat board a while and then told the old lady they were going to spend a few hard earned dollars on one of them new fangled telescopes aaannnddd they allowed how they'd never be competitive if they didn't start shooting the semi-smokeless powder. I guess my point is that I view this in a broader generality than some. If they took whatever advantage they could and we do the same then things are equal. It's about how well you shoot the rifle not about what the rifle looks like, uses for fuel, or how heavy or whatever. It's plain based lead bullets in single=shot rifles and who can hold the steadiest long enough to get off a well placed shot and do it repeatedly.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Leadball, & Stevens52,

Well, you guys are expressing your opinions, which is what I'm looking for. So I guess then that I can shoot for the record with my  .22 Anschutz SS bolt gun since I would be taking advantage of modern technology.

Both of you are missing my point completely. I'm just suggesting that if Hudson shot his record with a .32/40 hybrid then in "The Spirit of the Game" shouldn't we at the very least use a CF gun of over .30 caliber?

All your arguments are just things thrown in to confuse and fog up the issue. You are just using the old argument that if they'd had it back then they'd have used it. So, if I was to use the latest technology argument you're using then I would use a modern bolt gun, specially fitted to me, along with a specially throated barrel, shooting swaged, gas checked, heat treated bullets, along with the latest in shooting jackets, pants, and shoes, with the latest in wind flags, and electronic equipment to give me the the info needed to shoot my best. Plus any other "toys" I can think up while trying for the record. After all, I'm just using what any offhand shooter uses today!

Now I know Steve is not using any of this, and it's a stupid argument to begin with, so why not "handicap" yourself by doing it like Hudson did? To me you would then be proving you are the better shot!

Another question for you...... How far do you think I'd get with the NRA if I turned in a record score for the .45, or Any CF portion of a 3 gun match that was obviously shot with a .22?

PETE

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Now you've left rational discussion. You have to abide by the rules of the game. Steve did. Sort through your reply, omit anything that doesn't follow ASSRA rules and you're ready to shoot. Hayes and Hudson had some restrictions so do we. It really is that simple. If you've got a better mousetrap and it's within the framework of the rules, bring it, we'll let you shoot it.

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Further thought;

You wanted to use;
bolt action-no    Anschutz barrel-yes    modern-yes
specially fitted-yes
specially throated-yes
gas checked-no  "sort of" wads are ok and they're gas checks in blue jeans 
swaged bullets-yes
heat treated bullets-yes
shooting jackets-yes  pants-yes   shoes-yes unless this has changed-don't think it has may be wrong
wind flags- yes
electronics- not sure what you'd need but probably not
other toys-50-50 chance of being OK depending on what it does
over 30 cal-yes or under if you want
So there you see that in your exasperation most everything you listed is OK by ASSRA rules. What is disallowed wouldn't help you that much anyhow.

You're right, I honestly don't get it. I don't think it matters. That's my point, it doesn't matter. If Steve Garbe or Jim Luke or someone breaks the record on some freakish day when there's no wind will we speculate on what Hayes and Hudson could of done with the same weather? Will we discount the new record because it wasn't done on a windy day?  enuf said, that's why they call 'em opinions.

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Conclusion. If the shooters of Hudson's era considereds shooting a .22 for some vague benefit they would have done it. A variety of .22's cartridges were commonly available. But they shot larger calipers. All in all, beating Hudson's record with a .22 would be a remarkable achievement, a combination of exceptional skills skills and finel wind conditions. And the shooter of that era often had a special advantage, shooting from an enclosure. 

Dick

Be interesting to post if anyone has information about matches shot with .22's in the classic era.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint