Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Colton's Rifle (Read 14932 times)
Longrider
Ex Member

Colton's Rifle
Mar 12th, 2005 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Ok friends, my daughter is expecting a baby boy in May and this soon to be Grandpa ( Cheesyfor the first time! Cheesy) is gonna start making him a rifle. I was thinking about #2 or #4 Rolling Block converted to center fire and chambered in .25-21 Stevens. Shotgun butt, oct. bbl. Whaddya think? Any other ideas? What would you put together? Let's have fun and get creative here.

Scott

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Colton's Rifle
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Okay Scott, you asked.  I would suggest a #4 roller or perhaps even a #2 roller. Dominick Persano ( stockmaker) did a rifle for his soon to born grandaughter. As you are doing the same, let me suggest you buy a really nice piece of wood from Cecil Fredi ( inexpensive for small stocks) and I will donate some gun scratching (free)  hows that sound for a starter ? Smiley     Ken

PS, when are you going to ship the seaters ?

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Longrider,

Can't say I'd do much different than what you want to do. If you think the .25 cal. is the way to go I don't think you can do any better than the .25/21 you're purposing. It's supposed to be the best of that caliber class. With Ken putting on some engraving it ought to be one humdinger of a rifle!

PETE

IP Logged

Longrider
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 12:21am
Print Post  
I think I know of a #4 that I can lay my hands on. It's in .32 RF with a not so good bore and mostly brown patina but no real pitting. Does G.M. make a .25 cal. bbl.? Other choices for oct. .25 cal. bbl.? What should we do for sights?

Ken, thanks for the generous offer! Do you have contact info. for Cecil F.? Seaters go out Monday. Speaking of seaters, when is the spring auction? I was thinking of donating one for that. Am I too late?

Pete, I've never been around a .25-21 but it just "looks" right. Case capacity, bullet wt., etc. It should be a performer and a fun little pop gun! 

When I got my first gun and all the other kids were getting .22's and pellet rifles, I picked out a .45 cal. muzzle loading long rifle. My son has it now. Gotta start 'em off right!

Scott

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 1:12am
Print Post  
All young boys & girls ought to have a good single shot as a first rifle, and I pray that Colton's grandpa gets to spend many years shooting with him.  I taught my sons and now my grandson with a couple of Winder muskets, and that brings me to an observation and a question.

First my observation.  Before kids (or anyone else) become familiar with guns, they have been exposed to a bunch of horror stories about recoil and tend to be somewhat shy of anything bigger than a .22.  Over the years, I have suggested to 4 different kids that maybe it was time to move from the .22 to my .32-20 low wall, and all 4 viewed the jump with a lot of fear.  So Colton's grandpa has a major education job ahead of him.  Now my questions.   

First, how old should a normal kid be before he or she is allowed to shoot?  That the shooting should be strictly supervised is a given.   

Second, how much ammunition should you expect to burn up teaching the basics; pointing and "aiming", trigger control, sight pictures, etc.?  I am just starting the 3rd brick of .22 shorts with the Winder musket for my grandson, and he is beginning to get a pretty firm grasp of the idea, but it took a lot of patience and a lot of tolerance for what looks like plinking.

FWIW, seems to me that along with building the rifle, a lot of effort should be put into casting good bullets & putting them away for future educational projects.  Same goes for cartridge cases.  Will we be allowed such things when Colton is 12?  Will RMC still be in business?  And powder & primers.  Remember the problems getting primers a few years back? Colton needs a hope chest full of goodies to go along with the rifle.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 1:29am
Print Post  
I'm going to disagree with most of you here. A child's rifle should be chambered in .22 LR. To really learn to shoot, a youngster needs to shoot a LOT. Trying to keep up with a youngster with cast bullets is a losing proposition. When he/she gets old enough to cast his/her own is soon enough to start him/her out on a centerfire.

I think a nice .22 rimfire single shot is a wonderful way to go with a youngster.

Proper age depends on the youngster and his or her attitude in general.

We have a very active Junior Program at our local club. Are general rule of thumb is to start the children out when they reach the age of 12. We DO have a few younger children who are strong enough to hold a rifle up and they work out fine. It is mostly a strength (along with a sense of responsibility) issue.

FWIW

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Longrider:

It obvious we have a dilema here. The .25-21  on a Remington #2 would be great. I recently obtained .25-21 on a 44.5 action and I can't wait until the glaciers recede so I can play with it.  As for the barrel,  I understand that Green Mountain is going to make a limited run of .25 barrels in #2 Winchester tapered octagon. You might want to get in line.

Howsomever, Dale is right.  A .22 rf is the ideal place for a young one to start. A light rifle and lots of ammo is the secret. Can't beat a .22 for that.

Fortunately I am here to solve this conundrum. I like the .25 caliber #2 but it is abit much of a gun for a youngster. Shucks, he will have to be all of 5 or 6 years old before he can handle it. What's he gonna do 'til then?

Build him a #4 in .22 rf  to start with and then get working on the #2 for when he is ready.

No thanks necessary, it is all part of the job...

Glenn

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Mr. Glenn, where you been hiding --- under a rock ???  They now make rifle racks for baby carriages  Grin    

You can reach Cecil at 703-382-8470, tell him I sent you.     Ken

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Guys, I'm thinking a #2 taper barrel might be a tad heavy for a boy's rifle...how about one of the barrels GM makes for lever action rifles?  I think they're 26" long, and taper from .875 to .750 or so, and are available in both .22 and .25 calibers.

I'm gathering parts for the same project, my little Grandpa's buddy will be 4 in June.  At the rate I work, the rifle might be finished by the time he's old enough to shoot it.... Roll Eyes

Scott, I'd be happy to donate a stockfitting to your project...heck, if you find a No. 2 action, I even have a pattern that might be persuaded to work.

Greg Pennell

IP Logged

Longrider
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
The roller in .25-21 will be Colton's "special" rifle but he will start off with a .22 RF.  My son has already beat me to the punch for giving Colton his FIRST rifle, a Stevens Favorite .22. I figure a couple years with the .22 and he should be ready to graduate to the .25-21 

When to start a child shooting? When they're ready. I know that sounds a little vauge but every child is different in attitude, etc. so the parrents and grand parrents need to temper enthusiasm with caution. I started when I was four. My grandpa would set his .22 rifle on a suitable rest and hold the butt for me while I attempted to line up the sights and work the trigger (I can't say squeeze the trigger because just like everyone else I had to LEARN to shoot properly). I remember one particular outing grandpa had put a target up on a tree and I was spraying bullets at it and the squirrel that lived above was really giving us "what for" over the whole deal. 

I volunteer as an instructor for our county hunter's education program and work with kids of different backgrounds and experience with firearms. I teach the firearms portion of the class and yes, patience is a prerequisite  Wink

Thank you Greg for the offer of stock fitting! Wow at this rate Colton will have not only a grandpa to thank for a nice little rifle but a bunch of "uncles" for helping put it together!

It's going to take some effort to get everything together, the #4 I was thinking of is already gone so the search is on. Anybody know of a #2 or #4 that just cries "Project"?

Have a blessed day!

Scott

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Well, if you can't find a good low-wall action to build it on... 8)

Actually, if I were doing this project, I would look very hard at the slick side low-wall action and the little pistol weight lever gun barrel from Grn Mtn mentioned previously.  I would chamber it in the more-commonly available .25-20 repeater (WCF) so the kid could have LOTS of brass, teach him to cast bullets, buy Unique and primers in bulk, and tell the kid, "Here...wear this out!"

I have that very project in the works now except with a "grownup sized" stock and in .25-20 SS which I DON'T advise you try at home (I am a professional -  Roll Eyes ) and it looks 'way cool with the "tulip" at the breech end made possible by Grn Mtn's grinding technique on that barrel...I highly recommend this barrel for a small shooter or if the rifle will be carried a lot.

I just wish MY grandfather had built this rifle for me about 55 years ago!   

Regards,
Charlie the Frog

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
2Cents worth,  The 22 on  the #4 roller is the way to start. My eldest started that way now my grandson will use the same rifle to get his feet wet. Cheap to shoot, no noise to scare him, and lightweight enough not to discourage. No scopes until he knows how to shoot. By the way the #4 can't handle the 25's unless you duplicate the 25 Stevens in centerfire.(that's another story) but the #2 would be great. Always another reason to hoard those singleshot actions, ain't there.

IP Logged

Ed_Tilford
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
I started my grandson Zach off with a Wn High Wall in 32-40 when he was 12 years old.  He is very small yet but had no problem with IMR 4227 and a 198 grn bullet.  He won 1st place from the bench at 200 yards at Eau Claire in his first year,  This year he is moving to a Wn High Wall in 40-65 and a much bigger bullet.  He loves it!  One of these days he will get big enough to stand up an shoot like a man.

Ed Tilford

IP Logged

Longrider
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Am rethinking the caliber of this project. Owing to the fact that .25-21 brass is hard to get and/or expen$ive. How about the .25 Hornet? any other ideas? I'd prefer to stay with a straight case.

Scott

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Works for me, I have heard good things about this little cart.   Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint