Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: False-Barrel .22 Schuetzen (Read 5974 times)
Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: False-Barrel .22 Schuetzen
Jan 21st, 2005 at 12:31am
Print Post  
MP;
This is pure conjecture. 

It strikes me that this would be a handy take down gallery rifle that would fit in a "leg of mutton" case (or similar). Removing the full length barrel would make the case longer than desired? This would be easy to carry on public transport of the times (perhaps)?

Dale53

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Mike,

Very interesting photos. While I've heard of false barrels as shown in the photos, yours is the first I've seen. As Dale has indicated I would think that the ability to unscrew the barrel would make transportation of a gallery rifle to a range if traveling by train or carriage more convenient. The way in which the scope is mounted would also make the normal method of Stevens takedown impractical, as scope alignment would be lost if removed. I see this method more as a convenient method of takedown. While the rifle would probably be capable of shooting as well without the unrifled section screwed on, it would only serve to maintain the normal balance for offhand gallery or parlor use. The length is certainly not there to increase sight radius as iron sights do not seem to be a concideration from looking at the photos. Further, the 7 1/2' barrel would most likely do much to reduce powder fouling problems of early 22 rf BP loadings. Elegant solution to a difficult problem.

This is a most unusual piece of history that has survived apparently in wonderful condition. Smiley 

Barry
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2005 at 2:16am by »  

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Mr. MP

That is one cool rifle. My guess is that it is a Gallery "Race Gun". As you suggest I expect that the idea was to achieve a short barrrel time. I would think that if the idea was a take down rifle for portability, it would break at a point that did not require removal of the forend to break it. 

No matter why is was designed this way, why do ya suppose it was broken on the Octagon?  Seems to me that it would best be broken at the transistion where the break could be disguised. The only thing I can think of is to have a visual reference to be sure the barrel would be properly timed so the front sight would be in proper position. Howsomever, the barrel sports no front sight. Does it bear evidence of ever having one?

That is one cool rifle...

Glenn

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Saw one very much like it on display (not for sale) at a gun show a few years back.  The display included the case.  It was described as a gallery gun as has been suggested.  The case was made of leather covered wood and looked very much like a musical insturment case.  The explanation was that the owner could carry it on the trolly or street car without undue attention.  As I recall the rifle was a Stevens Model 44 in .22 Short.  The barrel extention was reamed quite thin like a shotgun barrel and did not have any iron sights.  Very interesting and I never thought I would see another.  Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
MP,

Your false barrel is more commonly referred to these days as a "bloop" tube. There are several shooters around here that use them. Very few of them use iron sights with them either. These guns are always used for offhand shooting here.

I don't use one so can't comment from personal experience, but those that do say the short barrel decreases barrel time, which in offhand shooting can be an aid. It's also claimed that this helps in steadiness as the sights move thru the bull. If you have ever used a heavy barrel gun you know that it can put quite a strain on your back if you haven't toughened yourself up to it. Also a long heavy barrel is not needed for a slow swing thru the bull. In fact, for some, a heavy barrel can be a detriment. So a lighter barrel, yet long enuf for your personal limitations can be more easily adjusted with a "bloop" tube.

Of course in the old days, as some have mentioned, a take down rifle was more convenient to carry around. But, having a "regular" length rifle didn't cause people to react like they would today if you carried one on the bus today.

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
MP,

Very interesting piece of history related to your Niedner rifle and that of the ASSRA. I wonder if any of the oldtimers might still be around that could tell us if he attended matches at Rising Sun, Indiana or at the old Warsaw, Indiana range?

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
MP,

Do you know who the other shooters are? I beleive John Amber is standing at the right. John was still getting to ASSRA matches for a few years after I started shooting myself at the old Warsaw range. Gary Staub, current ASSRA president shot at the old Warsaw range and might be able to put few names with places.

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 8:05am
Print Post  
I bet I know the expression on a certain Dale 53's face when he sees that photo, and I bet he asks for more.

And I think his ideas will be grand and needed for the achives/club house.
Grin       Roll Eyes

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
MP,
Looks like you've got a great piece of shooting history in the gun, and related items! I sure enjoyed looking at all of it!
Thanks!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint