Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cleaning lead bullet guns (Read 3891 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Cleaning lead bullet guns
Jan 14th, 2005 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Most of my guns clean up with a few patches with Marvel Mystery Oil, after shooting cast. My measure of clean is when a clean tight patch comes out of the bore as clean as it went in. Sometimes I get lead, comes out with a Lead Away patch, by Kleen Bore. Every now and then I get a grey tight patch after cleaning for a while. This means lead. I use Kroil on a tight patch, tight enough so the patch squeaks as it goes through the bore. This patch will take out some tiny pieces of lead. It doesn't take much lead to get a tight patch grey. I do this until tight patches come out clean. 
Other than an electric machine, does anybody know of a better way to get a little lead out of the bore?
Thanks;
joe b. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Cleaning lead bullet guns
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2005 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Well Joe, you're way better than I am at cleaning lead already! I rarely take my bore cleaning to the point of a patch coming out as clean as it went in! My hat is off to you!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2005 at 8:17am
Print Post  
I don't know if it matters. What I learned-and that's why I do this-is that after 8-10 patches, if a tight patch comes out grey, there's lead. Not much, just a few flakes, but lead. I don't know if it matters.
jowe b.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2005 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
joeb, FWIW the old strategy of using mercury preparations to "mine" the lead out of a heavily leaded bore may be of use.  There used to be a medicinal preparation of mercury in tallow or some similar greasy carrier that was used on skin disorders  Shocked  It has long been discontinued as too dangerous for human contact, but there were formulae for making a gunsmith's version of the same "blue ointment" as it was called, to use in those cases where the "complexion" of our bores got grey. 

Disclaimer:  I have not used this method myself, only read about it and had Charlie Dell confirm in personal discussion that he had used it to good effect...YMMV!  8)

Froggie

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Blue ointment was for the crabs. I've used it(for lead removal), and bought 1/4# of mercury years ago that I used for getting out lead. Then I found out about the health risks, and got rid of the mercury. Mercury is available easily, the motorcycle carb synchronizers use it, and frequently suck it into the engine. But it's too scary for me. The kroil smells bad but I don't think it hurts our health.
joe b. (Used to be immortal)

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
For LOTS of lead, a bit of steel wool on a bronze brush will wipe it pretty much out.   To finish,or for a LITTLE lead, some fine abrasive, such as JB paste or one of the "lead-out" patches will do it.  I have used a little "flour of pumice" on a solvent-dampened patch.
I have  used mercury, but don't much like it partly on account of toxicity and partly because it is not easy to do.  You have to have all the oil out, so use some carburetor cleaner.   Then plug the bore and fill with mercury.  The mercury is re-usable, but it is really hard not to spill a little of it, so you have to be really careful.  Last thing you want is some tiny drops of mercury on your shop floor.  Can't safely vacuum it up, and if you leave it, it gets smashed into even finer drops -- oxidizes and becomes hazardous dust.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Joe I beleave you can get a barrel to clean just as you can ruin a seasoned cast iron frying pan by not just simply wiping it clean. Is it lead or is it carbon that you are seeing on the patch they can both look the same and few I know, know the difference. I use JB Bore Paste, not the JB Bore Polish for both and with good success for the past 14 years. If you are seeing slivers or long strings it would obviously be lead, if it is the small flakes / flecking and discoloration on the patch that is often times miss-diagnosed.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Joe, wrap some #1 steel wool around a cloth patch. Make sure it fits the bore real tight. Run it back and forth several time so it conforms to the rifling. Pull it out and dip it in battery acid. Push it back in the bore and scrub the bore real good. Set the barrel in a corner and leave it for at least twenty four hours.  This should work for you.

Good luck!

Joe.  Smiley Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Sometimes the little shiny flecks on a patch are not lead but something like maybe carbon, that glints in the light.  Pick up a bit of it on the point of a pin and hold it over a flame.  If it is lead, it will coalesce into a ball, and if carbon will just get red-hot.
CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 6:39am
Print Post  
The  trick we use around here is to take one of those small "flakes" and rub it hard between thumb and fore finger. If it disappears it's carbon and if it doesn't it's Lead.

Pete

IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 7:51am
Print Post  
It take a lot of cleaning to get a patch to come out as white as it went in when shooting jacket bullets. It's probably mostly carbon etc that you're removing. My 22 RF guns get a lightly oiled  patch and the CF's doesn't get much more than that, unless there is leading. 
It's pretty well known among RF match shooters that it take a few or more shots to get a barrel conditioned for the particular ammo you are using to get optimum accuracy.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Plain-based lead bullet barrels, like .22 rimfire barrels, need to be seasoned. Even the best barrels don’t shoot to their full potential until they have been shot for a while. A major part of that is ironing your lube into the pores of your barrel “conditioning it” to your lube and alloy. You can over clean a plain-based barrel in the same way that you can over clean a rimfire barrel. The results are pretty much the same you now have to run 50 to 100 rounds through the barrel before the accuracy comes back to full potential. The same applies when you change lubes it will take 50 or so shots before the rifle “settles down” and shoots right.
  I clean my rifle until the carbon is gone and stop. When I am either breaking in a new barrel or putting one up for a period of time, after cleaning I run a patch of lanolin oil through the barrel to thoroughly coat bore.

40 Rod

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Depends on the barrel and very much on the brand of ammo. In my Stevens 417 WH, takes two rounds of Fed ultra match and it shoots centers all day long. Takes at least twenty rounds of Fiocci super match till it groups as tight. Switch from Fiocci to Ultra match without cleaning, can't hit a coffee can at fifty yards/

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint