Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) More Detail requested for Breech Seating (Read 4387 times)
Amanda

More Detail requested for Breech Seating
Feb 23rd, 2014 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Please help another newbie. If you breech seat a bullet, then insert a cartridge case full of BP, I assume you depend upon a wad to keep the powder where it belongs, or fill the case to the rim, insert case with barrel pointed up, close action and fire? Worried about an air gap, reason for the question. If you do it otherwise, how is it done? Lastly, where do you buy the implement to allow you to BS an 1885 Winnie or a Stevens 44 & 1/2?
Thanks!
Amanda

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: More Detail requested for Breech Seating
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Several gentlemen make seating tools for 1885's, and 44 1/2's.
1. Russ Weber =russweber@juno.com
2. Neal Rice Phone 1- 719-489-3155
3. Ken AKA "Quarter_Bore" ( check for sale/trade section)
Pictured in order. 
Kurt
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2014 at 4:08pm by Kurt_701 »  

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I've been filling the case with powder and topping it with a 0.030" thick vegetable fiber wad.  Russ Weber makes an excellent seater for either of the rifles you mentioned.   

Some use a cartridge case plugged with a brass rod that protrudes enough to set the bullet into the rifling to the desired depth.

When using bore diameter paper patched bullets with one of my highwalls I use an ugly home brew seater I made with a cartridge case, aluminum rod and a bolt.  Accuracy has been excellent with this technique.

I haven't worried a lot about small airspaces.  I shoot with an eighth of an inch, maybe a bit more, and have ad no issues.

I have less experience than many of the others here but have had excellent results so far.   

Chris.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Breech seater for my low wall is a case with a wood dowel in it. Actually I use it in several rifles and gets loaned out on occasion. Also use it for a bullet stop when muzzle loading. 
Have one for my 40-50 SS too. And some other seaters I use.

Joe.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2014 at 4:52pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Amanda
Good pointers have been offered on how breech seat when using BP. Sometimes a picture can put the parts into a whole. Below is how I breech seat grease groove bullets when using BP. The felt wad takes up the air gap between case mouth and bullet base and the card wad at the bullet base ensures the felt wad does not stick, momentarily, to the bullet base as it leaves the muzzle.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
A detail you need to know when breech seating with BP. Compressing the BP will reduce case separations.  That happens a lot with BP in the 32-40.

Randy, those illustrations are very familiar............

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Arizona Sharpshooters sells a 'bullet seating tool' (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) that is useful as a breech seating tool if your load is such that the base of the bullet is in the mouth of the case at all. Have found it very useful in BPCR silhouette & BPTR mid-range shooting as I load the bullets 'long' and the tool allows for seating the bullet two driving bands into the rifling, which has improved the accuracy of the loads. Sort of like breech seating with fixed ammo.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Amanda in case you did not know breach seating is typically used for Schuetzen competition and the use of BP for those events is not competitive so smokeless powder is being used. I might also add that that burn rates being used are the same as those being used for magnum pistols and at reduced volume in the 12-14.5 grain range for the 32-40 as a typical example.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Amanda

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
JLouis-
I had no idea. I see Schuetzen rifles occasionally at gun shows, and pictures on this forum, with cartridge names like 40 2 &1/4 or .32-40, and I just assumed they are all BP loads. I really never thought that a Schuetzen was being used with smokeless, even in their heyday. However, for my use, BP only will be used in .45-70 1885 Winnies, and maybe a .32-40 or .38-55 Stevens. I don't care about being "competitive," as nobody in S.E. Texas even shoots BP much but me and a couple of others, and I do it in friendly 200 yard military or across the course 200/300/600 yard NM courses, only because the guys allow it and give me all the time I need. I just saw the thread and thought it might get me a better group, so I would try it. anything that decreases group size at 600 yards is a nice thing.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to post the drawings and instructions. I'll get a seater and try it out Smiley
Amanda

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Amanda - bless you for sticking with BP as Schuetzen was originally shot. That's what I do with my 1885s & Hepburn (except the .22rimfire Low Wall, of course). Here is a link to one of several BP single-shot matches in your part of the world. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).
If you contact the fellow running the match am sure you will find that there area a number of BP matches in your part of the world. TX has a quite active BP single-shot community and a friendly & helpful group of shooters.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Another wad that is used is florists foam.  There are two types, a softer and a more rigid.  I  ( and the guys that taught me ) use the rigid foam and I slice it into about 1/8 inch sheets on a band saw and use that as a wad to keep powder in the case.  Some guys use thicker slices maybe up to 3/8".   I think its main purpose is to keep me from dumping powder into my action.  There are numerous types of wads to use, but I haven't tried anything else yet.
  I'm still new enough at this that I've got other things to fiddle with before I experiment with wads. There is always something  to tweek !

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Amanda

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 8:11am
Print Post  
SSShooter, thanks for the link! The only bad thing with shooting in Texas, is the distance one must travel to do so. Just to get to a standard Bullseye match is a 6 hour round trip. I got spoiled in Michigan with making rounds of the indoor Bullseye matches. Within 45 miles, I had 6 locations where I could shoot matches. Here, I have Service Rifle, 50 yard pistol silhouette RF and CF on different weekends, and 100 meter RF silhouette. That is it, and it is all within 10 minutes of the house at one range. I ran the pistol Silhouette last year to get some youngsters interested by giving out ammo as prizes. Unfortunately, nobody local wants to shoot Bullseye or BP Cry

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 11:19am
Print Post  
If you cannot find a match near you, there are always the ASSRA postal matches.  I just became a member and plan on shooting the 100 yard center fire benchrest, and off-hand centre fire matches.  It's not the same as shooting with a bunch of other people in a match, but it's a good honest way to measure your progress.

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint