Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Redfield Olympic sights (Read 25638 times)
Long_Rifle_101
Ex Member

Re: Redfield Olympic sights
Reply #15 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Hello Forrest, I decided to follow up and try to attach some pictures of a bracket that we use on SS rifles. This applicaton is for a 22 LR. It uses the same line of sight as when I put on my lyman STS. It is used for 50. 100 and 200 yard BR. On a centerfire for long distance, I use a taller bracket and T&D
it every 3/4 inch. Then we can simply put the sight at the appropiate height for the distance you are shooting. A set screw is used to engage the sight to keep it from tipping and the original screw is used to hold the sight on. Hope[email][/email]fully the attachments come through, If not I can send them to any e-mail address. Long Rifle

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 6:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
J:  Make or have made a front sight base that allows elevation changes; in steps maybe.

F: Once again you mention front sights adjustable for elevation.

Have you ever seen such a sight?

Good morning,
Forrest

Good Morning;
Yes, in the Sinclair catalog I get every few months there are one or more front sights adjustable for elevation. High power rifle seems to be the place they're used. If I can find a catalog I'll be more specific.
When you think about it, having the stock fit be the same regardless of sight elevation makes sense. This means that the front sight has to do the elevation adjustment. This means that the rear sight has to start out high. 
Now this ain't going to look like we think rifle sights SHOULD look, but it makes for much more comfortable and probably accurate shooting.
I looked in my box and found Lyman and Redfield sights that would be suitable for mounting on an adapter.
OR, it's possible that one could mount a tang sight on the receiver(reciever?)(neither looks right), this would give all the elevation you'd ever need. I have tang sights of my own design.
OR, we used Anschutz/Walther rear sights on single shots after finding out that the dovetail fit on the rear scope block; so a very high scope block on the receiver would get an Anschutz etc. sight high enough. I think Steve Earle would make that scope block.
I'm thinking that a military rifle rear sight might be turned into an elevation-adjustable front sight with little work. Like a Mauser or Enfield sight. The/some Enfield rear sights had micrometer adjustments. I've had some, have none now. 
I've shot very little long range single shot, and found that at 600 yards all of my face was off the stock of my C. Sharps 1875. If I had a place to shoot long range, I'd rig the sights up with E on the front.
I have tang sights, Lyman and Redfield micrometer sights, and a Walther rear sight, and aperture front sights of my own design. I'd be happy to lend you whatever you needed to try this out. Unfortunately, I'm one of maybe three people in the shooting game without a machine shop in the basement, so I can't make the adapter/s.
I'll look for a Sinclair catalog when the kids wake up.
joe b.      

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 8:50am
Print Post  
They're all up. The E adjustable front sight is a CENTRA, has 48 minutes of adjustment, and is 1MOA click adjustable. It's about the most terrifying thing I've ever seen on a rifle.
I think I've seen others, not quite so elaborate.
joe b.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 9:39am
Print Post  
After a search on "elevation adjustable front sight", 
Medisha Firearms Ltd. 65 min adj frong, ladder type
Brownells, Shuster interesting looking dial adjustable front.
So it looks like I'm not first, once again.
joe b.

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 16th, 2004 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Yes, in the Sinclair catalog I get every few months there are one or more front sights adjustable for elevation. High power rifle seems to be the place they're used. 

Joe,

OK.

I believe you but such a set up I've never seen!

J:  Now this ain't going to look like we think rifle sights SHOULD look, but it makes for much more comfortable and probably accurate shooting.

F:  It would require some serious work on a special stock, that is for sure. 

As for accuracy I wonder if it would not be similar more than anything. Keep in mind that changing sight elevations would become very clumsy if they were on the front sight! I need all the help I can get on the firing line. Not another difficult job.

J:  I've shot very little long range single shot, and found that at 600 yards all of my face was off the stock of my C. Sharps 1875. If I had a place to shoot long range, I'd rig the sights up with E on the front.

F: Certainly my jaw is off the stock for most any distance beyond 6 or 700 yards, and that is not to mention 1000 yards at all. None-the-less I cannot conceive of such top-hamper any elevation adjustable front sight would require to come close to what is required for shooting over this kind of range.

J: I have tang sights, Lyman and Redfield micrometer sights, and a Walther rear sight, and aperture front sights of my own design. I'd be happy to lend you whatever you needed to try this out. 

F: Thanks for the offer. Right now I think I'll stay with what I have. It is not perfect but it does work and I'm used to it.

Good evening,
Forrest

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 17th, 2004 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Forrest,

Would a Ron Snover  or Dr. Goodwin tang solve your problem?  With  the offset staff you would probably be able to have both a fully functional rifle  Grin and a tang sight.  As long as you're shooting long-range only, mind you...  Just a thought....

IP Logged

Whatcheer
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Dec 17th, 2004 at 6:47am
Print Post  
I have, but only on handguns.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 5:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
F:  It would require some serious work on a special stock, that is for sure. 

Good evening,
Forrest

My M54 Win is stocked for Irons-when using a STS scope, I put on the custom-designed stock-adjuster, made from an old towel and some rubber bands. It ain't pretty, but it gets my head up there and it's comfortable. 
I'd really like a long range shooter to try the front elevation notion, i'm very interested in seeing if the fixed head position doesn't help.
joe b.

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 6:16pm
Print Post  

Would a Ron Snover  or Dr. Goodwin tang solve your problem?  With  the offset staff you would probably be able to have both a fully functional rifle  Grin and a tang sight.  As long as you're shooting long-range only, mind you...  Just a thought

Martini,

Now that is a thought.

I have seen some shooters with off-set sights. Usually they are forced into it because their master eye goes bad and they have to go to the other side with an off-set sight. This seens to be a better idea than trying to re-learn shooting wby switching from right to left (or the other way around)

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I have this very afternoon gotten into my old sight parts, looking for things that might help.

I found some of the old pieces from the FBW and Scheutzen days, still in the box from 1985.

These are little more than small extentions, 0.312 high each, that were made to be attached to the sight by screwing them into the regular peep aperture threads.

I have looked them over and realize that all I have to do is get a nice tight Lyman receiver sight for the M1895, attach it and use my old parts to increase the elevation the sight is capable of in 0.312 steps. 

Over all I have an extra 0.624 elevation since I have two of the extentions and they are made such that I can link them together.

I'll keep you all advised.

Good evening,
Forrest

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I have received s-mail from CBAs Mustafa Curtess about this rear sight question. 

He should get a computer himself I'd say, it would speed things up a lot.

Anyway. The man included a clipping from "Shoot" magazine that depicts a Montana Vintage Arms Model 130 rear sight for use in "Cowboy" shooting with the M1895. The sight is built such that the staff is further back than anything I have seen before, pretty much back on the wood even but the rifle is shown with the action open, proving that it clears the sight as mounted.

I plan on getting one if they make the staff tall enough for me to reach my 800 yard distance.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 8:02am
Print Post  
This "Elevation on the front sight" thing has me stuck. F.A. mentions problems adjusting for E when it's adjusted on the front sight. Now I've seen S&W pistols with a front sight that could be put in any of ?3? positions, with different E on each position, and adjustable on each position. A front sight made with the same kind of rig would allow major E adjustments, maybe 200, 385, 600 and 1000 yards, or whatever is needed. Then the rear could be adjusted for fine changes. Does this make any sense? Why can't I let this go? Isn't the "face in the same place on the stock" thing important?
joe b.

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 11:19am
Print Post  
This "Elevation on the front sight" thing has me stuck. 

Joe,

Something has happened here as I considered the MVA tang sight mentioned above.

The sight as I saw it in the clipping looked very good but as I examined it as closely as possible in the picture it seemed that the staff might be a little short.

I intended to call MVA and ask them exactly how tall the staff is on the M130 and compare it with what I know I need for elevation on my M1895, so I measured the height above bore line I use in the rifle for setting the present sight for 800 yards.

I came up with 2.182 inches above bore centerline for this figure.

Now, if a fellow had a front sight roughly 2 inches tall on his rifle it would look quite odd I think! But it would be necessary to have it about that tall in order for the sights to be used for shorter ranges such as 1 or 200 yards. The rear sight would also have to be quite tall for all these things to be possible and the stock, as we have mentioned, would have to have a VERY high comb.

For me all these things pretty much rule out any further consideration about elevation on the front sight. It would just be too weird.

Now, Old Elmer Keith used his front sight for elevation for those brag long shots he always wrote about with his 44 magnum. do you remember exactly how those were made?

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Forrest,

Can't say exactly how Elmer's sights were rigged up, but there was a series of articles this past Summer in Precision Shooting on shooting at 1000 yds. with a revolver. All they did was to elevate the front sight in the rear notch and even held the top of the rear sight down into the top strap in order to get out there. They didn't get into the accuracy so much but seemed to be able to hold minute of sage bush at that range.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
All they did was to elevate the front sight in the rear notch and even held the top of the rear sight down into the top strap in order to get out there.

PETE ,

Yes.

I was playing the advocate there for Joe's benifit, asking about the way that was done.

I remember Elmer publishing a picture of his custom front sight. It had marks or "graduations" on the blade that allowed him to increase elevation semi-predictably for those brag shots he was always telling us about.

It was really just a slightly fancy way of holding over and it is kind of fun for those times wheel guns are out for the day in open country.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint