Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mirage (Read 3460 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Mirage
Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:57am
Print Post  
I'm working my way through "The Bullet's Flight From Powder To Target", and it ain't easy. Franklin Mann discusses mirage on pages 177-180; describes his testing, and concludes that "...no mirage could be detected, in slightest degree, to affect telescope lenses or change the position of cross hairs on target up to 200 yards."
I've read the section many times, and think that I understand what he said and what he did.
His conclusions seem to fly in the face of the conventional wisdom concerning mirage. Could all the more recent work that I've read about shooting in mirage be wrong?
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Mirage
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Joeb,

Yeah! I've read it thru 4 times now and still pull out info I didn't see before. I think he was trying to cover to much ground in to little space.

It could be that Mann couldn't see mirage. It never ceases to amaze me that quite a few people can't see mirage even after months of trying to explain what it looks like.

For others they can see mirage only if they have a mirage board set up down range.

Then again it can depend on which kind of mirage Mann was trying to explain. Air or barrel.

Then of course we'd have to know when he carried out these experiments, and if his range was in continuous shade when he was doing them. If the temp. is cool and the grounded shaded, then very little or no mirage can be seen.

Mann wasn't always to precise with his recording of test procedures, or results, and as such was ridiculed quite a bit for his work by people who didn't catch on as to what he was trying to do.

PETE

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Joe & Pete,

I read that a couple of times and I don't quite understand just what he was doing. It is hard to beleive that any one who shoots seriously has not seen mirage. I see it but frankly I don't understand what to do with it. When the mirage washes out the target I sit and wait.

My hats off to those who can shoot well in a mirage.

Ed

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Ed,

I'll have to admit when the mirage washes the target out completely about you can do is wait till you can see it again.

At our range, and many others I assume, when the flags get to whipping around every which way, along with a good wind, that's when I'll switch over to shooting the mirage. It's not as good as a light wind and all the flags pointing in the same direction, but it beats packing up and going home, or hoping conditions will improve...... seems they seldom do.

In my experience mirage shows you the average condition over the whole range, so when the above conditions appear shooting the mirage is the best you can do.

A good test to show you how mirage affects what you see, and how you can use it, is to set your gun up solidly in your bags with the sights set on the bullseye. Without touching the gun watch how the sights seem to move around the bullseye. Now we both know that neither the target or sights are moving, but they appear to, and how much this effect appears to be is what you have to correct for.

Now I'm not a good mirage reader but I have found that I can come closer to the bullseye using it, when I have to, than to try and figure  out how much to hold off with squirrly wind conditions.

Like reading the wind it takes a lot of practice, and if you put in as much time learning how to do it as you did learning the wind, you'll be at the same level. It's just another trick to put in your bag for when you need it.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
I have a 20x50mm Leupold Spotting Scope with a crosshair. You can sure convince most people that claim that "Mirage doesn't move anything," once they have looked thru the scope while set on a tripod. It is much easier to hold it steady on a tripod, while looking without moving the scope, than it is on a rifle sitting on a set of sand bags. 

Pete is correct, if we would spend time with mirage we would learn to use it to our advantage. Heck! I'm still trying to learn to read the wind. I guess mirage is a "graduate class". Right now I am working on my "Wind Degree" and by the time I get thru graduate school (Mirage) they will bury me or I'll be drooling in a rest home Grin

Too much to do, and too little time to do it.

Dale53

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint