Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Roller Bench Gun? (Read 3672 times)
Jeff
Ex Member

Roller Bench Gun?
Nov 21st, 2004 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Based upon the earlier 'slug the bore' discussion and further discussion with the lady of this household I have permission to proceed.

I have an Argentine with the rotary extractor in 43 Spanish.

I want to build a bench gun and I'm thinking that I'd like to go with a  25-35 Ackley Improved, set trigger, and optics (probably blocks for my STS but also a Weaver base a for regular scope).  I'd like to have a pistol grip instead of a straight grip.  The current wood will have to go.  I also thinking about having 'Colt Engraver' doing a little special scratching on this one.

Now, two concerns.  I don't know any Roller experts, and need a recommendation (one in Virginia would be nice).  The last concern is what am I missing?   Roll Eyes

Additional ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Roller Bench Gun?
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Jeff,   call me at home & I'll givre you some money saving leads.   Ken 252-795-6670

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 12:46am
Print Post  
My opinion is that the 25-35 AI is too hot a round for a blackpowder rolling block action, which yours is.  If it was a 1902 smokeless model, it would probably work, but it's maximum even for that action.

I'd suggest talking to Glen Fewless (HST) on here about working on your rolling block, he knows and likes them.

dave

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 6:15am
Print Post  
I haven't seen a rolling block rifle finish in the money in a bench match in many years-maybe never. The rolling block is among the last actions that should be considered for a bench rifle. Probably the deHaas-Miller is the best, then maybe Peregrine, Hoch?, Martini, Hepburn, Stevens 44 1/2, Win 85 (ugh!) are the strong actions, able to take a double-charge error. I'm sure I forgot some. For the same $, you could have a CPA with BR style stock, and be competitive. 
Ask the bench shooters, they'll all agree about the R.B.
joe b.

IP Logged

Jeff
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Dave & Joe, thanks for the opinions and suggestions.  I appreciate them and know that you are right on target.

I had spoken with Ken a few nights ago and then followed up with HST minutes later.  What a bunch of great guys!   Glen indicated that the Roller was not capable of achieving the performance that would satisfy me on this project.  So I'm thinking of selling it to help finance this project.  At Glens suggestion, I'm now  looking for a Browning 78 for as the basis of building that bench gun.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint