Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spirit level front sights (Read 12630 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Spirit level front sights
Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Here's an outside idea. How about if I explain the cant test rig, and somebody out there measures how repeatable the bubble sight is? Then we would have a method of comparison, some outside information, and the ability to make some statements based on fact rather than opinion. There's a lot of opinion in the shooting game, not a lot of experiment and fact.
" Opinions are like cowboy hats." H. Pope
joe b.

IP Logged

silhoutte4570
Ex Member

Re: Spirit level front sights
Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Maybe this has already been said in words I don't understand, but if not, please consider this from a Hoosier hayseed:  With no other outside influence but gravity, our rifle is aligned with the target, and corrected for bullet drop with the appropriate sight ELEVATION.  As we cant the barrel (rifle) we reduce the elevation correction until at 90 degrees we have zero elevation correction and a whole lot of what is now un-needed windage (horizontal) correction.  The result, to my mind, is a bullet strike low and in the direction of cant.

How far out and how low to predict the bullet strike is about the only use I can see for mathematics.

To recover from this horizontal position, from the shooter's point of view, it's most simple to rotate the rifle in the opposite direction using the bubble, in a spirit level appropiately affixed to the rifle?

The problem I see for the shooter who disregards barrel cant as a sighting problem is that on turkeys or rams, especially, due to their size and distance magnifying the cant sighting error, the spotter is not going to be able to give an accurate correction to move the strike onto the target.  It can be argued that the shooter will continue to cant at the same angle, offsetting the error, but, since he is using no method to help him assure that the error will be the same, he will not be consistant.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint