Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) cimmeron hi wall problem (Read 18533 times)
ole7groove
Ex Member

Re: cimmeron hi wall problem
Reply #15 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
  All of this chatter about being able to use or not use the "forbidden seven words" is a total waste of time for discussion on this forum. The rules are known to all when we signed on, those who cannot find civilized language to communicate with others can go to other sites. 

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Can't rules be changed?   

I for one, don't find myself feeling particularly protected by the censoring.  In fact, just the opposite.

Brent

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Ol7groove, I'm sorry you feel that way, but I respectfully submit that discussion of censorship and the rules is NEVER a waste of time. I also respectfully submit the my usage was such that should offend no rational informed person, and have offered the details earlier.

Now come on, tell the truth now, dontcha find it just a LITTLE ridiculous that the US rep for Pedersoli might, on this forum, be called 'Thingy' Trenk? I personally find it almost beyond belief and not a little pitiful/scary. Kinda reminds me of Big Brother.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 8:00am
Print Post  
"Can't the rules be changed?"

If I chose to go to say Rome, and they have laws, rules different than I am used to, My best bet would be to do as the Romans do right?  Instead of trying to change the worlds ideas to my own.

I being a member of the ASSRA and do not have any say in this web site, or ever have had on any web sight, what the hey, I go with the flow.

Yes  was very funny to see Richards name come up thingy, funnier than you know, because Richard is very outspoken with the American language and his ideas, but he goes by the rules set forth where ever he is at the time, he will complain about them but he goes along with them.
So what they hey, I guess since this is open the non members and the public, I think we need to show  we ain't a bunch of low life gun owners we are made to sound like on some reports.

Just a thought, And I used no words that need to be censored.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
"Can't the rules be changed?"

If I chose to go to say Rome, and they have laws, rules different than I am used to, My best bet would be to do as the Romans do right?  Instead of trying to change the worlds ideas to my own.[

I think we need to show  we ain't a bunch of low life gun owners we are made to sound like on some reports.

Just a thought, And I used no words that need to be censored.

This ain't Rome (been there, done that) and I guess I ain't much of a follower of the herd.

And I guess I don't own any guns that need to be regulated either.  Don't mean I happen to like or agree with registration or regulation either.  I gotta particular bug about the whole Bill of Rights.  Not just ol' Number 2.

Brent

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 12:41am
Print Post  
If everybody had always 'followed the rules' then we'd still be on the other side of the Atlantic. So much (snap of the fingers) for the concept of blindly following the rules just because they're rules. Tell that to Christopher Columbus or George Washington!

I believe we're all agreed that the site owner makes the rules here, and we should follow his rules if we expect to participate. My original question & concern was that, since the censorship software program appeared to be automatic, was/is the site owner aware of the full extent of the automatic censorship, and if so, is he aware of just how ridiculously picayune it can appear to rational adults?

If he desires to alter the censorship parameters, can it be done & how difficult/expensive is it?

'Cause after all, I think we all know at least 5-6 different ways of saying the same offensive thing in so-called 'acceptable' words, words that would pass any censorship test but would mean exactly the same thing and be just as insulting as the more conventional & more graphic version. So the censorship really can't prevent someone from using offensive language, it merely makes insults a little more difficult while at the same time altering the sense of an inoffensive message.

If use of offensive language offends anyone SO much, I can only assume that that person does not watch television or go to the movies or listen to other folks speak in the real world or read most any of the 'great' literary works or attend Shakespeare's plays, etc etc. Kinda like an anti-hunter who eats beef.

If my particular use of the 'b' word has offended anyone here, I apologize sincerely & certainly didn't intend any offense. I also suggest that possibly you might be happier in a more Politically Correct atmosphere, where folks believe that the mere word itself automatically categorizes the supposed 'meaning'. We here on this site are fully capable of discerning offensiveness for ourselves within the context of the message, and really don't need to be protected from ourselves.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
ttfn, Joe

IP Logged

dgc27
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Here is an update on the hi wall problem . Checked the firing pin , that was not the problem. As a last resort removed the fly. Bingo , the fly was broken at the pivot point. When the firing pin contacted the primer this slowed the speed of the hammer just enough to allow the fly to bind. The hammer in this rifle has a different lower noch. It is u shaped ,and the sear is catching on the top back leg of the u when the fly binds. Have no idea why they shaped it this way other than to capture the sear. I feel confident that as soon as fly is repaired problem will be cured. THANKS  for the input . DGC27

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #22 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
dgc27, I'm glad that took care of your problem.  I went back to reread my original reply to your question and was surprised and somewhat chagrinned to note that my technical description of your problem had been "sanitized" from halfcock notch to half cock notch.  I wonder whether GSgt Carlos Hath-thingy is looking down from his assigned duties guarding the streets of Heaven (see v. 4 of Marine Corps Hymn) and shaking his head in wonder.   Grin

Sanitized regards, 
Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Froggie, I reckon on this site that some rifles have thingying indicators. And the mother of my puppies is now a whine.

This has become too ridiculous for words. This censorship program can osculate my hominy.
ttfn, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Brent, Joe, and offended others,

First off, why do you feel you need the "right" to use any but correct(?) language on here?

As many of you know I have a copy of the Warner-Lowe letters. It was well known that Warner could curse like a drunken sailor, yet you will never see bad language used in any of his letters.

I tend to look at it this way....... I try to write in such a manner that I could show it to my mother and she would be proud that I wrote it.

Yes, I see movies, and read books that use cursing in making points. I do the same when in the company of men. But when I'm in the company of children and women I try very hard to use politically correct language.

Since none of us knows the ages or genders of the people on here, I just feel that we should try and keep it clean.

Yes.... I think Josh is very well aware of any language problem. But, if he's not, then why don't you people who feel your rights are being trampled on post a message in the appropriate area on this Forum instead of complaining where he might not see it. If that fails to elicit a response then email him privately.

PETE

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Pete, I have not cursed, nor has Froggie or any other. We have used only 'correct' language, in a 'correct' manner. It's obvious that the censorship program is not capable of discriminating between 'correct' language and 'Politically Correct' language, and has arbitrarily changed the meaning of our words.

I personally consider the change to 'half thingy notch' to be an insult, implying that A) there is something inherently wrong with the word itself (the height of ignorance) and B) that we aren't capable of using the language properly and need 'adult' supervision (by an ignorant automatic program).

Tell me, what word do YOU use when describing the action of putting an exposed-hammer rifle into the safe position? Or later when you pull the hammer back into the full-(censored) notch? If you ever address Mr Trenk familiarly, by what first name would you call him?

Are you implying that these words are somehow 'incorrect' simply because they possess more than one meaning and COULD be used in an offensive manner?

That sounds just like the attitude of the anti-gunners who want to take away ALL our guns simply because some of them MIGHT be used inappropriately.

I have always been and will continue to be proud to show My Mother or My Bride or My Daughter anything I've EVER written, and I resent the implication that anything you've seen me write is in any way unclean or insulting to any intelligent knowledgeable person. If I ever intend for something to be unclean or otherwise objectionable, you'll be in no doubt whatsoever, see below.

A person who would be offended by the usages censored here is commonly known as a P-R-I-G. Look it up, 'cause otherwise you might be tempted to think it means something else if you're one of 'em (I hope you're not).

The one word that IMO most adequately describes this censorship program is the same word used to describe the bodily excretions of the most common barnyard fowl. JMOFWIW.
Hugs & kisses, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Yeah, what Joe said - in spades.   

So much for principles....
Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Joe & Brent,

Like I said. Discussing this with me or anyone else for that matter, will get you no where because only the sysop has the authority to change it, one way or the other.

Why continue a discussion that has no end as you guys are carrying it out. We could go on and on like this till we all drop over dead, and the problem would still not be resolved.

GET IN TOUCH WITH JOSH THRU THE APPROPRIATE FORUM HEADING OR BY PRIVATE EMAIL!!!!

Also, why don't you start a separate thread with an appropriate heading. Seems rather a waste to sully up a thread totally unrelated to what you guys want to argue about.

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Pete,
We are discussing it here because the issue came up there.  Simple as that.  I'll keep posting as long as anyone else does.  Obviously, Josh does not want to discuss this or he would have weighed in on it.  

I can't believe a bunch of gun owners would condone censureship.  Just blows me away.

I guess we could all avoid using works that contain the letter "q" if someone found it offensive.  Certainly we could all still communicate if we removed all words containing "q" from the language - but it sure would be ridiculous.  So is the dick=thingy.  Christ, "thingy" isn't even a damn word.  

Well I'll be dipped, you can use Christ in vain but not dick.   

Brent

IP Logged

Josh Borton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
My response has been posted.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint