Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .33-40 Throating Question (Read 2479 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

.33-40 Throating Question
Oct 10th, 2004 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
I have gotten my Segrist-rebored barrel (.338 X 10 twist in an original #3 octagon .32-40 bbl) for high-wall up and running now, but have a little problem.  I can drop a bullet into the chamber and push it home with a plunger and a lot of effort, but because of the size of the bullet and the thickness of the brass at the case mouth, I can't get a loaded round or even make a push seater or mechanical seater to hold the bullet while starting it.  How should I go about making the chamber neck larger without endangering the existing chamber and new bore?  Is there such a thing as a neck only reamer for this chamber, or should I plan to have to have one ground  ??? ?
Other than that one little hold-up, the rest of the project is going great!  With a plain Lyman tang sight and Beech front in globe position I just amaze myself!   Grin
TIA for any suggestions and help any of you may be able to provide on this.
Regards, 
Charlie the Frog

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: .33-40 Throating Question
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2004 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Frog,
I believe that the reason for the 33-47 was you could seat the bullet in the case or in a breach seater. My Winchester Ross 33-40 has the same problem with breach seating. The chamber is a standard 32-40 the chamber was not touched when it was rerifled.
Russ Weber made up one of his seaters with a much shortend case to seat the bullet and it works great. You could do the same with most any style of breach seater.
I you need a picture I can go to a friends and take one for you.
fallingblock

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: .33-40 Throating Question
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Green One
When Pope made 33s he made both 33-47 and 33-40. I belive when the rifle was a muzzle Loader Pope left the chamber a 40 but when the rifle was a breach seater he re-boared to 47.
You might try using a plugged case with the plug that skicks out the same size as the bullet.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint