Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Barrel relining input (Read 17577 times)
Bluetooth
Ex Member

Barrel relining input
Oct 3rd, 2004 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Can a .22 cal. Winchester   Low Wall #1 barrel that has already been relined once be succesfully relined and chambered again without trouble?

Can relined barrels shoot as straight as any? 

Can anyone recommend someone that can do a good job?

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Barrel relining input
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Bluetooth,

Yes... You most certainly can re-line a Low Wall with a #1 barrel. Did that myself this past Fall. In fact will be taking it out this afternoon for some Squirrel hunting.

I haven't shot it at 100 yds. yet, because it's my Squirrel gun, but at 50 yds. it will put them inside, or touching the 25 ring of the ASSRA 50 yd. target off the bench. !/2" I think it is.

I did the relining myself, with the chambering done by a local smith. I got a Redman liner from Brownells.

As for a gunsmith, Lee Shaver can do the job, as can Redman. But any gunsmith in your area that you trust can easily do the job.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Pete;
Your rifle shoots better than you think. The 50 yard center on the ASSRA German Ring target is 3/8".

Any rifle that will stay inside the German Ring Center or even the NRA fifty yard "x" ring is a pretty decent rifle, IMNHO.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Dale53,

I stand corrected!  Smiley I was just to lazy to go and check.

I should probably add, for those that want to try doing a re-line job, that I used Brownells Accra-Glass to glue the liner in.

The gun likes about every kind of Standard Vel. ammo I've shot in it with the best being Wolf Match Target followed by Ely Practice. Haven't tried any of the "good" stuff yet. The Ely is what I use for Squirrel hunting. Gives the Squirrels a better chance for survival.  Grin

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Pete;
I have been an avid squirrel hunter since I was a VERY young lad. I have always hunted with a rifle. It may be a muzzle loader, a .22 or even a cast bullet 25/20 Marlin that I treasure, but a rifle, nonetheless.

I try to shoot the squirrels in the head if the head is visible. It is not always so. However, using a standard .22 bullet, if a squirrel is shot thru the body they can get away. Hollow points tear up the squirrel too much. What to do?

Some years ago I read about the "Hanned Line". It was a small one man operation that produced some neat tools for shooters. It described a die that you could use to modify loaded .22's. It essentially made a semi-wadcutter out of the standard bullet. They called it the Small Game Buillet. CCI later produced a similar factory round. However, the home made variety is more efficient ( more square shouldered).

I had one made up locally. You just turn a cylinder of steel the diameter of the action end of a .22 sporter barrel. Chamber it for a .22 round. Then shorten the cylinder until just the nose of the bullet sticks out of the end of the die. You just want to barely flatten the nose. The proper amount only removes about 3-4 grains of lead. I set my die up to just remove the round nose. Case Harden the die with casenite (several applications). You want it glass hard.
Then you just insert a .22 and file off the nose. You can do a box in just a few minutes. It is a little tedious, but if you reserve these just for hunting it is a worthy tool.

It increases the "slam" of a .22 appreciably. You can hear the "plop" as the bullet hits. I have never had a squirrel run off and the damage to the meat is minimal (if the head is not available, I just shoot behind the shoulder - no meat wasted but a serious "stop" is had).

What you have done is make a fine semi wadcutter out of the .22. Accuracy is often increased.

Try it and you'll like it!
Dale53

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Dale, I can appreciate your interest in the perfect squirrel ammunition, but there are three things that I think you should consider before going to the bother of ammo modification.

1.  Ely Subsonic hollow points
2.  Lapua Subsonic hollow points
3.  Remington Subsonic hollow points.

These three ammos will work perfectly - there is bullet expansion but not explosive damage.  The bullet is unlikely to go far after passing through a squirrel.  The cartridge is extremely quiet in any rifle.  And, even Semi Autos will generally cycle cleanly with these.   

The first two brands are considerably better (more accurate) than the third, but the third is considerably better than everything else.

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Dale53,

GWarden bought one of these tools to flatten .22 bullets and he likes it real well. Might make a handy project on the lathe this Winter.

But I don't think either of us really needs it...... or at least I don't. I only take head shots, and if I miss, or can't get that shot, I pass it up. GWarden or Brent gets anything I shoot, and I get the pleasure of their company and a fine day in the woods.

Going to try something today that might work better than trying to shoot across my knees while sitting. Cross sticks. Not like we normally think of them. Tied together at some point along their length, but just leave the two sticks free so they can be instantly adjusted to whatever position you need. Tried this out while sighting the Low Wall in this year and found it's easy to hold for the head with them, whereas without them I think I'd be lucky to hit them anywhere two out of five shots at 50 yds. or more.

GWarden thinks we're already taking to much "stuff" along with us, and he might be right. Might have to get one of those jumping mules to haul everything around!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
 GWarden thinks we're already taking to much "stuff" along with us, and he might be right. Might have to get one of those jumping mules to haul everything around!  Smiley

PETE

Pete, Just tell GWarden to leave his book at home!  It's a hunt, not a reading club!  Smiley Smiley Smiley 

Brent

IP Logged

Bluetooth
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that input. Never relined before. 

Are they always glued in with Acraglass or similar?

Out of curiosity does anyone know if a barrel liner can be had in the new flat shooting and quiet .17 HMR?

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Brent
I didn't take a book with me today when Pete and I went squirrel hunting. I didn't have time to read, I was busy sleeping( it was a real comfortable tree I was leaning against) I didn't sleep through the whole hunt, did shoot a few of Iowa's fine big fox squirrels. Had a visit from a flock of turkeys during the hunt.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Bluetooth,

No, a few are soft soldered in. This used to be the only way it was done, but I would say most liners are put in with epoxy now. You can probably get into some good discussions as to which is best, but all I've ever had done were epoxied in and I can say they all shot very well.

As for a .17 HMR liner...... I haven't heard of any, but if you check around someone might be making them.

Brent,

What with the nap and almost getting run over by a flock of Turkeys he didn't have any time for reading today.  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 1:24am
Print Post  
I've relined several low walls to 22LR and 17 HMR, makes an excellent rifle if done right. I've used epoxy, Black Max and Loctite (on a 223 Rem high wall reline) with good success. I prefer the Clymer match chamber but have also had excellent results using the Clymer Bentz chamber. So far all my liners have been either the Brownell's or shop-turned ones, but several others have excellent reputations.

Please be advised that I purchased a Brownell's 17 liner and 17 HMR reamer, and the reamer pilot was about a half-thou too large. A few minutes in the lathe with some fine stones soon solved the problem but it's worth considering. Hopefully the problem is corrected by now. The little 17 HMR low wall shoots very very well but I haven't quite figured out what I'm gonna do with it yet.

I really like the Hanned tool and the CCI SGB ammo it inspired, but for squirrels I prefer Eley Subsonic Hollowpoints. I've hunted squirrels with only a rifle since 1970 and take maybe one shoulder shot for every nine or ten head shots, pass up all others. The Eley SSHPs will shoot under 1 MOA and have provided instant one-shot kills in all instances so far.

BTW I like the cross-sticks idea, can never have too much accuracy.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

http://personal.adiis.netRe: Barrel relining input
Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Joe,

Well, lets see if I can get a picture posted on here. If this comes thru it shows the cross sticks in use, and for Bluetooth it shows my .22 Low Wall that I re-lined.

PETE

P.S. Well, guess that didn't work so here's the web site address if you want to look at it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2004 at 10:28am by »  

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Hey Mr. Pete,  just looked at that lowall you are shooting --- really looks good !  Looks like you put a nice piece of wood on it & re-color cased it. Looks like I had better get another piece of wood for my lowall.   Ken

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Ken,

WWWeeeelllll! It's not as good as it looks. Some idiot who polished it for the re-case rounded the edges a bit. The wood is factory and is their XX grade which is so stamped on the trigger bar. The butt plate could use a re-nickel, and I sure did wish that the palm rest had come with it. The bore was so bad I had to re-line it as mentioned in other messages.

Price was real reasonable, but the re-case job turned off a coupla guys on here who shall remain nameless  Smiley. I kept telling them to buy it but after two years sitting on the sellers table I figured I'd better buy it before some other idiot got ahold of it, even tho I need another one like I need another hole in the head. Took a chance and lettered it. It's factory all the way, and now it's probably worth twice what I paid for it. But, with that old 4X Weaver on it it's gonna spend it's time with me as a nice light hunting rifle.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint