Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: Contact info for Classic Guns? (Read 4992 times)
Asst
Ex Member

Re: Contact info for Classic Guns?
Sep 22nd, 2004 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Classic Guns
PO Box 367
606 Gould St.
Beecher, IL 60401
(708) 946-6141

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
708, why that came up who knows

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Dave,  If you haven't used them before, you are going to be VERY happy  Cheesy    I just received a few parts from them yesterday & they are perfect !  Do yourself a favor and polish the parts yourself & save money.  John will polish the parts for you otherwise and he only hand polishes ---  you know how much time that takes.  Be sure to post a pic on the BPCR .com site for us -- maybe a good up close picture of the action.  I get my best pictures when I shoot them outside on an overcast day or when the sun isn't up very long.    Ken

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Dave --- I'll go take a look.  600 grit is the highest grit I use or recommend for items to be color cased. One needs a bit of polishing scratches for the carbon particles to grab the surface & really hold. I wish you would reconsider not going over the T.G. with a piece of 600 rit in order for it to match.  Please advise when you post new pic's.     Ken

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Ken,
I wonder if 600 grit is smooth enough.  The Ballard rifle case coloring has always seemed a bit rough to me.  Shouldn't it be a bit smoother, closer to semi-gloss?  Or does that come from the post color laquering?

Brent

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Ken,

I just didn't write clearly!  I will go over the entire piece with 600 grit to make a uniform surface over the entire piece before case coloring.  I just got lazy, it's easier to finish the rounded edges of the trigger guard on the buffer and then touch it up with 600 grit to match the rest.

Dave

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Brent ---   I wouldn't take the finish past 600, 800 max.  You need "tooth" for the carbon (color) to cling to. A finish overly smooth will not take nor keep color as well as a 600 grit finish. That smooth finish you refer to is the product of the lac. finish. Lac. will not only bring the colors out but also protects them from the sun's ultra violet rays which will bleed the colors out. John Gillett of "Classic Guns" will apply three coats of backed on lac. at no extra charge if you ask.  I wouldn't do without it. The unlac. finish will appear as a flat finish without the bright vivid colors.

Dave --- I should have understood !  I should have realized you wouldn't do the job halfway,   my apologies.

Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint