Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Slug the Bore (Read 15168 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Re: Slug the Bore
Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
  To all those that recommend that Blacki just re-barrel that old gun..... I can't say I disagree with you but just maybe he wants to see if he can get the gun to shoot decently, as is.

I've done that many times knowing full well that it was never going to be a competitive gun, and maybe not even a decent plinker, but I just wanted to see if I could get it to shoot. In the process I've learned a lot about getting old "iffy" guns to shoot halfway decently.

Those of you that aren't experimenters at heart probably think if it can't shoot under an inch at 100 yds. then the gun is just plain no good. Most would probably like to have a gun that shoots sub MOA but there are many who are just interested in getting gran-pappy's old gun to shoot to. That's my impression of what Blacki wants to do.

Maybe Blacki should tell us what his vision is for this gun. That way then we'll have an idea of how to tell him to proceed.

PETE

IP Logged

Blacki
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Pete, you hit the old nail right on the head. If I wanted a new barrel I would have bought a New Replica of one of the old guns!!You can't have a new .43 Spanish. I'm just interested in taking a old time gun and getting it to shoot! It doesn't have to be accurate ( old military guns never were ). it just has to hit the target ( I hope ). My enjoyment is making something old work again..

Blacki

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Chamber Cast
Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Hi fellows I finally got on, got my password accepted.

So I have a question and I hope I am at the right place,
I have a Winchester with a Green Mountain barrel in .38 cal that was chambered by Ken Breisen for breech seating. Will be using .30-40 Krag brass. Now after blowing out my brass I will need to trim to length. The question is I want to pour a chamber cast, never done it! What do I use as a dam in the bore and how do I remove once cooled??

I want to have a neck size die made and assume a chamber cast and some cases sent to (?) CH&D T&D here in Ohio, need help here with the correct name and address.

Thanks guys!

Ed

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #18 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Ed
Use cerosafe it is available from Brownells. It comes with an instruction sheet. I just use a couple of wadded up patches to plug the bore. Make sure that you get the plug far enough to show the throat and the rifleing.

40 Rod

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
40Rod,

How do you extract the casting?

Ed

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Ed:

The CerroSafe has some magic mixed into it and it contracts a wee bit after solidifying, facilitating removal via the brute force method. If you very lightly oil the bore and chamber and don't pour the metal anywhere it don't belong you should be able to tap the casting out with a cleaning rod. The casting then expands again as it ages and is supposed to be the correct size after one hour.

The best bore seal I have found is a fiber or LDPE base wad (like what one would put under a bullet, .060 or so) puched up the bore to the desired location. This gives a nice square end to the casting and makes it easier to tap out.

Glenn

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Thanks Glen that is what I needed to know.

Ed

IP Logged

Jeff
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I've been lurking in the background here for awhile and after reading this thread, with all the sage advice that's been offered, I'm now thinking about doing something with my old Argentine.  That rifle has been collecting dust for about 40 years and I believe that I've only fired about twenty rounds down that barrel.

Seems like there are some interesting options out there... now the problen is deciding what to do and then finding a talented individual that can pull it off.

Thanks guys, I needed a new mission ...

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 4:47am
Print Post  
I use (flowers of)sulfur to make chamber and barrel casts. It is available from your pharmacist. Oil lightly, plug the bore with patch/es, heat the sulfur on the stove-don't heat it enough to smell strongly, just liquid, warm the gun area with a bernz-o-matic-just slightly!!, pour, wait, knock it out lightly with a cleaning rod. Easy, cheap, doesn't change dimensions over time. Make paper funnel if needed.
joe b.

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
do not heat up the sulfer too much, i did and when it smokes you will think you have just been gassed in WW1, no joke, it's awful, i had to run out of the house as fast as possible and wait an hour to return-it was that bad. It works fine but heat it up A LITTLE BIT ON A VERY LOW FLAME.GAS ONLY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint