Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Not a rifle, but...it is a Roller! (Read 11241 times)
marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Not a rifle, but...it is a Roller!
Aug 15th, 2004 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Picked up a unique rolling block at a small local show today! Ran into a seller as we were both entering the building. He was carrying a old rolling block action shotgun in 20 ga. It looked pretty sound, and he wanted $100 for it, so I bought it. 
After cleaning off a thick brown fuzz from the metal and wood, I found an odd rollstamp on the upper tang. It read, "New Haven, Conn. U.S.A." Took some looking in Flayderman's, but what I originally thought was an old Remington shotgun, turned out to be a Whitney shotgun! Flayderman's says there were less than 1,000 made between 1881-1887.
Anyone know any reason why this couldn't be shot with low base light target loads? It seems to be in great shape, and the block mechanism is very tight.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: Not a rifle, but...it is a Roller!
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I've owned & shot several Whitney rollers in the past including a fairly nice 20 ga shotgun. As Frank de Haas said in his book, they're not quite as well made or finished as some of the Remingtons but are just as strong. Although sometimes a little soft as were some of the Rems.

There are two major Whitney variations, the original first model and the New Model. The original has an extra block piece and the New Model is essentially a modified Rem copy without the extra breech piece. I have never owned a first model, only the New Model.

The New Model was made in two frame widths much like the Rem 1 and 1 1/2 models, the smaller was identical to the larger except having the sides narrowed down to better fit the smaller cartridges. My shotgun used the wider frame as did the large CF cartridge rifles, but by far the majority of New Model Whitneys were the narrow frame style made for small cartridges. My rifles & shotgun had well-fitting blocks & firing pins which did not need bushing, but YMMV. The later New Models had firing pin retractors but my earlier ones did not. For whatever reason, de Haas' book didn't show or mention the wide-frame New Model, only the cheaper & less-attractive narrow frame.

IMO the large wide frame New Model guns are equally as strong as the Rems although possibly a little soft for really heavy smokeless loads. Frank de Haas says that the original first models with the extra breech piece are equally as strong as the Rems. His comments appear to reflect no knowledge of the wider-type New Model frames & so I was a little surprised to encounter them.

The narrower New Model frames are rounded on the corners and are not nearly as attractive as the wider-frame guns which have crisp sharp edges like the Rems. The wider-frame guns are MUCH more attractive, and, as I say, IMO are fully equal in strength to the Rems.

I've seen Whitneys selling for almost as much as Remingtons, IMO you got a heckuva buy & should have kissed the guy.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Joe,
 Didn't they call the "old" model Whitney with the two piece breech the split breech? Seems I remember that from somewhere. Not sure why the breech block was split since it works the same as a Rem. roller. Maybe they made it that way to get around the Rem. patent. You got any thoughts on this?

I've got one that's been relined to .40/50 SS. Can't remember what I paid for it since it was probably 30 yrs. ago that I bought it. The reason for the reline was that somebody had taken a reamer and opened the chamber to something we were never able to figure out. Nice light little gun at about 7 pds. and not to bad for accuracy with the original barrel sights. One of these days.... real soon now  Smiley ..... I want to put on a tang & globe sight just to see what it can actually do.

PETE

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Yea, JD I thought it was a good buy when I was buying it for just an action! It looked so ugly with the brown fuzz all over the wood and metal, but I thought any decent "Rolling Block" action should be worth the $100.
I was pretty surprised when it not only cleaned up nicely, but had the Whitney address on the tang. I like Remingtons, but I probably would have taken it apart for the action, had it not turned out to be a Whitney.
This gun is the second variation, and must be the large frame you mentioned, as it has the sharp edges like a Rem. The only real difference that jumps out, is the cross pins. Unlike the Rem. the plate holding the pins into the receiver, are part of the pins, and swing together under the retaining screw. That odd arrangement caught my eye when I first saw it, but not being well read on rolling blocks, I didn't recognise it for what it is.
Thanks a bunch for your info, it is very helpful!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Pete,
From what Flayderman's said, the patent on Remington's Rolling Block was expired before Whitney started building them. I assume that's why they got into the RB, because of the expired patent.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Pete, I believe the first model WAS called the split breech model. I too heard that the reason for the split breech & other differences like the lever-type extractor and the integral pin retainer arms was in order to avoid patent infringements. The Flayderman info is new to me, but who knows?

MG, DGW still has a few parts for the Whitney, a few years ago I bought some NOS block/hammer pins and an NOS extractor. IMO you have a very fine basis for any sort of BP cartridge of any size that would be appropriate for the biggest BP Remington action. The big 7mm smokeless Rem is probably a little stronger IMO but not by that much. Your frame is SO MUCH more attractive than the thinner one, that there's literally no comparison. The Whitney New Model thin frame is one UGLY sucker! Looks like all the edges have been buffed round & the side walls thinned down, kinda similar to the Rem 1 1/2 but filed & buffed round on the edges. Most New Model Whitneys are sporting guns and so have the more delicate hammer spurs and gracefully tapered trigger guards. My large frame Whitneys have had somewhat wider TGs than the small frames, although not nearly as clunky as some Rems.

Of the Whitneys I've owned, some have had firing pin retractors but most have not. The earliest one of mine with a retractor was # 76xxx while the latest one without a retractor was # 66xxx, FWIW. Have no idea how many were made in total.

Whitney made some special finer high-grade and long-range rifles much like other makers, some of the larger-calibered ones are pictured in Grant's books. Little info seems available except in Grant and de Haas, and I've found much of that to be contradictory to each other/itself & also what I've found in my own guns. I'm sure much of the history was lost when Whitney sold out in the 1880s.

de Haas seemed to believe the first model Whitney was far superior to the New Model, but he also seemed to be unaware of the existence of the wide-frame New Model. IMO it's fully as strong as the BP No 1 Rems, although not quite as finely designed & finished. Looks mighty good too.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy & Joe,

Thanks for the info from both of you. Very interesting as I never tried to pursue any of the details of the Whitney RB's.

Kinda strange that Whitney would make the split breech breech block if the Remington patent had run out. Seems it would be a LOT easier and cheaper to make a breech block like the Rem.

PETE

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I thought the same thing Pete. Seemed more logical to make a copy, which is where they ended up, after the split breech first model. My only guess would be the company's desire to try and copy, but still be unique. The internals of the first model are completely different from the Remington, according to DeHaas. I guess their pride made them at least try it, and then costs made them come to their senses. Money does help make better decisions sometimes!
After reading more in DeHaas, I see he is calling the first model split breech, the M72 model. He seemed to think the slimming down on rounding of the receiver on the majority of second model Whitneys is what made them ugly and added to his conclusion that they were not as strong. I guess the slimmer action would be weaker, but whether it would make a difference in rimmed cartridges, I would think not.
Still like JD, after seeing what the slim, rounded receiver looks like in DeHaas' book, I'm glad this one doesn't have that later feature! 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint