Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Barrel Inside Dimensions-40 Cal. (Read 8168 times)
Flatlander
Oldtimer

Barrel Inside Dimensions-40 Cal.
Aug 8th, 2004 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
As I have recently purchaced an origional Remington Sporting Rifle with single set trigger, I was curious when the origional barrel had been replaced with a Douglas Heavy-Half (cal. 40-70 SS.) Being somewhat familiar with Badger barrels which I have on some of my other toys, when I dug into the internal barrel dimensions, I was somewhat mistified! It seems that Douglas makes its 40-cal. barrels with a .400 bore and a .410 groove dia. while Badger, Kreiger, and others make theirs with a .400 bore dia. and a .408 groove dia. Is there any advantage-disadvantage of the extra .002 groove dia that my barrel has over the others or am I reading something into this that means absolutely nothing?  ??? ??? Undecided

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: Barrel Inside Dimensions-40 Cal.
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
And I think Shilen makes theirs with a 406 ID, and the new 405 WCF reissue should have a 412 diameter. Are we having fun yet? None has any advantage over the others IMO except as concerns mould & bullet availability, and the custom mould makers will make any dia yoiu specify. I personally think that 410 dia would be cool since you could use 41 Mag pistol bullets for plinking. Some nice heavy jacketed hunting bullets are available in 408 & 412 dias.

What about reloading sizer die(s)? Which diameter? I have the same type trouble with my early-vs-late 45 Colt SAs, 454 dia vs 451 dia.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Barrel Inside Dimensions-40 Cal.
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Just as a slight correction Krieger's .40 Cal dimentions are .399 Bore and .408 Groove. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint