Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic High-wall progress (Read 9938 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

High-wall progress
Jul 23rd, 2004 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Well, except for a front sight I have completed a trial assembly of my .33-40 high-wall.  Where a couple of my previous efforts have had parts from a couple of different "donor" rifles, this one makes Frankenstein's monster look like Prince Charming.  Although all of the parts except maybe a pin or screw here and there are original Winchester parts, I really robbed the "graveyard" for them to complete this project.  Other than the lack of metal finish, it doesn't look half bad.  I stuck an old Lyman tang sight on it and will put a globe on the front before I take it out and try to shoot it.  I have a couple of .338 moulds to try and some .38-55 brass that has already been sized down to .32, so I will probably try to blow some of that out to chamber size by the simple expedient of fire forming.  I love the smell of Cream of Wheat in the morning (if I don't have to EAT IT!)  I'm wondering how wise it was to use the small Swiss buttplate I had been saving...I'm assuming however that the recoil will not be much if any worse than my .32-40...in fact, I will probably use similar starting loads.  Does anybody out there have a good .33-40 load for a 200-ish gr. bullet over 4759?  I know what I put in my original .32-40 behind a 31959 bullet that weighs 200 gr, so that should be a fairly good starting point, I guess.  All for now, the adventure continues!

Regards, 
Green Frog

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: High-wall progress
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Hi Ho Noble Green One .  Glad you finnaly got that project down,    now, you want to talk to me about scratching a few lines on it ? Wink  I feel like I owe you some metal chips for all you have done for ASSRA and me much less your friendship. After you pop a few primers, why don't you part with it for a while ?  I think a good time would be when you are in Europa this summer. Thats in a few weeks isn't it ?  I could put a rush on it, send it on to "Classic Guns" for a color case and rust blue for the bbl if you would like/ It could be done by the time you get back.  I had saved a time frame to do something for myself but plans are more flexable now. 

Let me hear from you about this. I figured if I challenged you on the board you wouldn't be able to put it off -- to many guys might rib you. Wink And speaking of ribs, let us know when you will be coming so I have time to get a big rack of ribs and Miss Julie can bake a cake and make some of her yeast scratch bread for you. I think she has missed you Grin.

Ol hack'n slash ( AKA  Ken )

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: High-wall progress
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Green one,
Is this what you are shooting? Does anybody out there have a good .33-40 load for a 200-ish gr. bullet over 4759? 
A 200 grain bullet in the .33 would be very light so I assume it is on the heavy-ish side of 200.
In my Ross rifled High Wall 33-40 I use 17 to 19 grains of 4759 with a Zika 234 grain bullet. The rifle shoots well with any charge in that range the only difference being the impact goes up with the charge. The chamber on my rifle is a standard Winchester 32-40 with the barrel rerifled to .338 with a 1:16 twist. It would be easyer to make up a seater for a 33-47 as the bullet could be put into a case but I don't want to change it.
See you at Etna Green in September.
fallingblock

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint