Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hoch action (Read 12337 times)
ken_hurst
Ex Member

Hoch action
May 29th, 2004 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Well guys,  I have received word that my new Hoch action is in the mail, now the dreaded  waiting begins.  I got this action from the man who now owns the molds/fixtures & patient. He isn't going to make anymore because of his age but has offered the rights up for sale.

Guess the first thing I better do is order a new G.M. bbl for it. Am going to order a 3 1/2 weight oct/rd bbl in 38-55 unless I get another idea. I plan on making this up into an off hand rifle but will fit an extra butt plate without the prongs so I can shoot it off the bench too.  Will forgo the iron sights as scopes seem to serve me better with these old eyes. Better save what vision I still have for work/engraving. 

Guess everybody is out at Etna Green this week end & I would like to wish all a grest time & a safe trip home.   Ken

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Hoch action
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2004 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Ken,

You must have one of nearly every action ever made!  Sounds like another fun project.

I picked up an interesting action a few days ago, not many available.  It is a 1867 rolling block cadet action, the same as used on the first pistols.  #250 out of the 498 purportedly made.  Don't know what to do with it, so put on the project shelf.  Have to finish a lot of others before I'll ge to it!

dave

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2004 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Hi Dave,  WOW --  you've come up with a rare one haven't you.   This could be a real dilemma for me, lets see, a rare action requires something special.  First of all , I would have to have a special piece of wood and of course, a direction as to what the finished piece will represent. ( target /hunting or presentation grade rifle)  As this action is so rare and is different in appearence from other rollers, I would gravitate towards making a show grade/presentation target or hunting rifle.  Perhaps an oct/rd. G.M. bbl for a starter followed up with the addition of a Deely Edge side lever.  I would in addition to reshaping the trigger guard, mach. the rec. ring into a rebated oct.  If there isn't enough metal for this, Additional steel could be built up with a tig welder. Of course, I would also reshape the hammer. As all my bbl's are blued, I think I would go for a real fine grained browned bbl for this project and would consider a nice charcoal blued frame With a case colored breech block and hammer & lever.  Just a few ideas but who knows ???    Good luck & keep us posted of your progress.   ken

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2004 at 10:39am
Print Post  
I don't know how that sad faced icon got ther ---- I don't know how to put them on a post.   Ken

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

ssdave
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Hey guy , have you given anymore thought about what you are going to do with that Cadet roller action you are holding ?  Sure would be interested in hearing your game plan, how about filling us in.  Ken

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Hi, Ken,

Just going to put the action on the shelf for now, got the .50-110 rolling block project, the 270 Ren Falling Block Works, and want to start a ballard .22.  More than enough to keep me going for the next couple of months.

I think that I'll probably lean towards using it to make a pistol.  The action just seems too tiny for a rifle, although they were made in .50 carbine originally.

No qualms in working on this action, although it's not especially common, since somebody before me started to lay out engraving on one side.  Absolutely no way to make it back original, without thinning the frame somewhat.

The real poor point to this action is the extractor, which is built into the breech block and is specific to the original .50 cal cartridge.  I think that the way to approach changing it will be to put in a secondary extractor like a ballard .22, and have the original extractor move the secondary extractor.   

Frame is too thin to octagon the top without welding it up, but it's a cute little frame anyway.  Ought to make a real nice custom pistol or maybe a small caliber rifle.   

dave

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Hi back atcha Dave.  I think you got a good idea there --- build a neat pistol like a #7 roller.  Sounds like you and I are in the same boat, to many projects and not enough time. How long do you think it will take to finish the 50-110 ?? I hear it is quite the kicker Cheesy  I own a 50-70 roller but seldom get to shoot it. The stock was a bit short so I had a guy put a recoil pad on it for me --- not much felt recoil.   Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint