Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) leading issues (Read 30572 times)
Lee_Stone
Ex Member

Re: leading issues
Reply #15 - Jul 13th, 2004 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
If you want to purchase that Lub-Guard on line, here is the site:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And here is the site page that has Lube-Guard # BK 765 2602:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I got some and use it in my personal lube recipe and I very much like the increased lubricating ability it imparts.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 1:07pm
Print Post  

Brent:

I kind of get the impression that your barrel was chambered with a reamer that was meant to be used with a seprate throating reamer. Such a reamer would have a 45* transition from the OD of the case neck to the bore diameter at the end of the chamber. This is sometimes referred to as the case stop.

This would in effect give you a 45* leade angle and mayhaps account for the lead shearing you seem to be experiencing.

What you might want to try just for giggles is to seat some bullets, if possible, so a grease groove is located right at the end of the case. Something like 1/3 of the groove in the case and the rest exposed. The idea is that when the big light goes on and the bullet bumps up, the lube flows into the space at the end of the case and filling it up. Once the space is full of lube, the lead cannot flow into it.

Best of luck,

Glenn

IP Logged

Long_Rifle_101
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Hello Brent, Mould is RCBS 378-312 BPS, Part # 082090.
Alloy is 1-25 and is cast at 750 to 800 degrees, held in the mould 20 seconds and dropped on a dry towel. Cast weight
317 to 320 Gr. Bullets are sorted by weight in 1/2 Gr 
increments. The lube die is 0.379 and the lube is based on Napa's lube gaurd which I will share any time. Hopefuly it
works for you.  Long Rifle

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 9:48am
Print Post  
HST,
I currently seat the bullet with one groove fully exposed.  This puts the bullet tight against the rifling.   

I think you are right about the lead shearing issue.  I tapped a bullet into the throat a short distance and then back out and flakes of lead were sheared off of the bands. 

When I breech seat a bullet in this rifle, it does not lead at all.  And the accuracy is considerably better.

Long_Rifle, I have yet to shoot your bullets.  The rifle range is currently preempted for the Iowa Games shooting events so I won't shoot again until next weekend I think.

Brent

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Long Rifle,
I shot your bullets this weekend.  I cannot say that I shot them well, but your bullets shot better than any of my bullets.  However, your bullets put as much lead in the bore as mine did.  So, lube wise, they were not any better.  I think the longer bullet might be something worth chasing - I sure hope so.  A Hoch 310 gr mold just arrived for me.  I'm thinking that a breech seated tapered bullet will not lead too bad for me.   

thanks a lot for all the trouble you went to.   Sure appreciate it.  Even if the results weren't all that wonderful with respect to leading.  Certainly it is good stuff and, thanks to your lubed bullets, I'm pretty sure that the problem lies with the rifle/bullet combination, not the lube.   

Brent

IP Logged

Long_Rifle_101
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Hello Brent, Thanks for your report and hopefuly you can resolve that leading problem soon. Also thanks for the information on the Deep Creek range. I understand it is a class act and I hope to visit it this summer.  Long Rifle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint