Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic lacquering an original 1885 (Read 12463 times)
Brent
Ex Member

lacquering an original 1885
May 12th, 2004 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I would like to lacquer or otherwise coat the recolor job that Ballard Rifles did for my highwall.   

And suggestions for materials, methods of application, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: lacquering an original 1885
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2004 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I assume you're referring to recased metal? If so, the answer to your needs is Brownells baked laquer finish. It comes in an aerosol spray can for about $11. It can be baked on in any common household oven, but do it when your wife is gone! It does make a little smell in the house, but will disipate quickly with your exhaust fan running. It seals the case colors and helps make them more durable to light and wear, plus gives them a better sheen than the dull finish that comes from Ballard.
I used this when they recased my original Ballard #4, and it works great!
Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2004 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
There are two schools of thought when it comes to laquering a case-hardened action. One is to use a very durable baked on finish as Marlinguy suggested. (the one he recomended is very good for this use) The down side to this approach is that when the finish does wear it can only be removed by sand blasting which will of course remove the colors underneath. The other approach is to use a less durable laquer such as Deft. This won't last as long but when it does show wear it can be removed completly with Gun Scrubber or laquer thinner and be reapplied without damaging the colors underneath. This is the approach used by the Brits on their doubles, but then they routinely sent their guns back to the factory for refinishing, both wood and metal. Both methods have their followers. The choice is up to you.

Steve Durren

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2004 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Steve, 
Where can I get this Deft?  Is that something found at a place like Lowe's or is it a speciality item from Brownell's or similar.

Marlin guy, the baked lacquer sounds promising but I'm sorta a traditionalist so may opt for a normal lacquering.  That, and my oven just went on the fritz- only 3 yrs old too.

Brent

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2004 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Brent,

You can get Deft at Lowe's etc. Get the spray can (gloss) and make sure you clean the metal before you spray and use a very light coat. It will have a slight orange peel effect when first applied but will level out when it dries. Good luck and watch the cleaning solvents when you clean the gun.

Steve

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2004 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Brent,
Actually if you're a traditionalist, the baked laquer is what Marlin and Winchester both used in the old days. The non baked finish is a good option, and I have used it also. Just don't clean the gun with any strong solvents as they can get on a non baked finish and remove it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint