Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scopes and Scope Power (Read 11097 times)
mes
Senior Forum Member

Scopes and Scope Power
May 7th, 2004 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
     What Power of scope do you like for offhand shooting and do you have any favorite scope brand?  What features do you like about a particular scope?
     I like at least 30 power for offhand as it lets you know just how badly or well you are holding on any perticular day. I also like a light  short scope as the wind doesn't affect it as much as my Lyman Super Target Spots and the weight is back towards my body.

I just put my Weaver 36 power back on a rifle and was shooting the other morning.  Does anyone have a way of recording the elevation settings that makes any sense with the Weaver? 
     I am thinking about remarking the part you turn so that the numbers continue up to I think 8.  For those of you who have not had the pleasure of a Weaver scope the markiings were, in my estimation, thought up by an idiot.  Those lines on the fixed part are Okay as for each revolution a new line is exposed as the turnable part moves up and are marked 1,2, 3, 4 etc.  The part you turn is marked 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1  There are 7 lines between each number, 3 short a long and 3 more short lines and then another number.  I can't figure a way to note the difference between the same numbers on the turnable part.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: Scopes and Scope Power
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2004 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Mes;
I have a couple of Weaver T-36's and agree that they are ONE fine scope. I like them better than any scope I have used.

However, I agree with you regarding the markings. I will do something about mine before long. I may just re-number part of the scale. Surely, the original markings mean something to somebody. Maybe a letter to the factory will give us some information....

Dale53

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2004 at 8:15am
Print Post  
On my offhand guns I shoot Fecker scopes. I have one in 20 and one in 24 power. The optics in the Feckers are as good as either the Unertls or the Lymans. The real advantage is that they can be adjusted while you are actually looking through the scope instead of bobbing back and forth.
For benchrest I use a 27 power Mitchell 2" scope They are the best made return to battery scope that I have found anywhere. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

IRe: Scopes and Scope Power
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2004 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
I ask a shooter at New Philly about 10 years ago why he used a 36 x scope for offhand [meaning why so much power] he said he used a 36 x because they didn't make an 80 x.
   With a zero at 100 yd  one full turn up on the elevation knob takes you to 200 yd on the weaver 36 X scope but I also can't read the scale.   leadball

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2004 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I originally used a 14X Unertl but am seriously thinking about going to a 24X Redfield 3200.  I have two of them with fine cross hairs and a dot for the .22's and I like them well enough to get a third for offhand.  I will stick with the 24X and 36X Unertls for bench work.

Corky

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2004 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Corky,
  You bring up an interesting point with your comment on just using the 24x & 36x Unertls for bench shooting.

I have read in several places, and heard comments by some of our shooters, that you want the higher power scopes for offhand shooting. I have tried out an STS 30x for this for a short period of time and can't say I found any difference in my scores.

Normally I use a 1 1/4" 10x Unertl but this past Saturday I was using a Win. "Carolyn" 6x scope on my .22 and after getting the Winter kinks out shot a coupla targets with my usual average.

From what I read about the old timers they seemed to prefer a 6x or 8x scope, so have been wondering why current shooters would consider a higher power one? Any takers as to an explanation?

PETE

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2004 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
I can not give any rational reasons to go to the higher powers other than an observation from my experience.  Keep in mind my eye sight is quite poor, so my results should in no way influence anyone that can see past their nose!

I find that using a higher power for offhand keeps my movement to the aiming point slower.  Expalnation for those that don't speak Corkyese,,,,I sight below the target and "slowly" raise the cross hairs to the twenty five ring.  When the entire target is bigger I have to move the cross hairs slower to avoid swinging off the target completly.  With the larger sight picture for the lower power scope I tend to swing through the center of the target too quickly and the trigger let off does not always happen where I want it to.  With the larger image I tend to move slower, therefore I am not off quite as far when the trigger breaks.

There has been little change in scores for me but I can better call the hits.  So I think in the grand scheme of things it is an improvement.

Corky

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2004 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Corky,
  Thanks for the reply. You bring up some interesting points I hadn't thought about.

Your mention of how you move into the 25 ring reminds me of what one of the better offhand shots in our club says. "You can't hit what you can't see!" With a lower power scope I would say you would be just trying to center up the bull than any one particular spot.

As for moving slowly into the 25 ring from below..... You got me beat! I'm lucky if I can hold inside the 20 ring, and not that all the time.  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2004 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Pete,

I learned along time ago that I can't hold any where.  That's why I try to move slowly up to the aiming point.  Admittedly I don't often move in a straight line so if I move by the 25 in the 23 or 24 I feel lucky.

The weight of our offhand guns is part of the secret.  Raising the muzzle to the 25 ring offers enough resistance that I have to move slow.  Best possible outcome, try to move so slowly that the rifle stops moving because of that resistance and get lucky that the trigger breaks before you start shaking too badly.

Don't take anything I say as gospel.  Any of the guys that shoot at EG will tell you they haven't seen me shoot offhand.  What I learned came from other disciplans but I think it will transfer to schuetzen.   

I would like to hear some of the techniques from some of our shooters.  Comparing and learning fom others is how we get better.

Corky

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2004 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Corky,
  I tried your method many years ago but always seemed like I either had to get to the 25 ring fast or I couldn't hold it.

What I've found for myself is that I have two periods when the sights stay fairly steady. One is at about 3 seconds, which I never seem to be able to hit, and the other at about 7 seconds. I hit this one a few times during a target and when I do it's one of those... I just know it's inside the 23 ring. My problem is that I usually get a bad case of "chicken finger", and instead of putting the gun down I try and tough it thru.

I think what both of us needs is a lot more practice.  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2004 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Pete:   
     The dreaded chicken finger is a good way to put it.  It occurs way too often when I shoot. 
     Probably the best way to overcome it is too use the approach method of shooting like Corky but most of the time I can not do it slowly enough.  Two other things help me a bit.  No thoughts especially negative ones and some pressure on the trigger.  With the no thoughts the gun will start to almost shoot by itself when things are right and I will shoot a pretty good target but it doesn't happen often enough.  With pressure on the trigger the shot usually goes without my disturbing the rifle when the sights are right.   
     I have been trying to work on a approach method with pressure on the trigger but sometimes too much pressure gives me a shot way out in the white. I first read about the approach method in David Tubbs book.
mes
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2004 at 9:44pm by mes »  

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2004 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
mes,
  Clearing your mind of all thoughts is good. A neat way to remember this is what I was told many years ago.... "Shoot Stupid!". Just look at the 25 ring and if your mind is clear and you have just enuf pressure on the trigger to keep it from going off, then the gun seems to shoot itself as you say.

This pressure on the trigger tho is hard to control. For me this is the part that needs the most practice. I have read where the old time Schuetzen shooters used to sandpaper their trigger finger to increase the feel and sensitivity. Some even went to the point where the finger would bleed. Haven't tried that yet. Guess I'm not dedicated enuf!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint