Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Problem with the Sharps (Read 502 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Problem with the Sharps
Sep 29th, 2024 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
I was at a YCSA match yesterday & had just started on the last relay (rams).  After the 1st shot, which I missed, the block locked up (couldn’t lower it more than an inch or so).  After finagling with the action, it finally lowered.  I dropped the block out & did not spot a problem.  After reinstalling the extractor & block I finished the relay hitting the next 9 rams.  Thinking about it on the way home I figured the firing pin return spring may have broken allowing the firing pin to stay forward, preventing lowering the block.  After arriving home & attempting to remove the breechblock, it was locked up.  So, after some thought, I dropped a rod down the bore to ensure the firing pin was pushed back & was able to lower & remove the block.  What I found was a broken firing pin.  The broken front end of the pin protruded out of the firing pin hole & locked up the block.  I’m very surprised I was able to finish the match – not experiencing the lockup again & especially hitting the next 9 rams with a broken firing pin.   

I’ve shot about 5,000 rounds through the rifle prior to the pin breaking.  No doubt I stressed the pin many times due to forgetting to pull back the hammer prior to lowering the block between shots.

BTW, I ended up with a 29/40 (with 1 chicken).  I’m usually good on the laydowns but a shi??y chicken shooter.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Problem with the Sharps
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2024 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Wayne:

Ron Smith introduced me to putting an angled groove on the chamber lip so the firing pin will never snag.

If you forget to open the hammer before dropping the block the firing pin will slide down the groove and back into the block.

I have done it to all of my single shots (1874 Shiloh Sharps, Miller DeHaas, 1885 Winchester, Meachem Hoch, Steven 44 1/2, CPA, Falling Block Works) and have never snagged a firing pin even when I broke them.

Another benefit of the groove is it helps to safely expell the gas presuure if you ever have a case rupture as well.

Dave
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2024 at 8:54pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2024 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
You don't say the brand but on my C Sharps, I have a broken FP almost once a year. I buy 4 pins and springs at a time and reorder when I use the third one. I am VERY careful to be sure to I move the hammer to half cock prior to opening the action. Failing to do that invites a broken pin. 

I have discovered a broken pin after finishing a relay and recall shots not going where I thought they should go. Erratic ignition is what I blame it on. 

MIshooter

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2024 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
MI-shooter wrote on Sep 29th, 2024 at 8:33pm:
You don't say the brand but on my C Sharps, I have a broken FP almost once a year. I buy 4 pins and springs at a time and reorder when I use the third one. I am VERY careful to be sure to I move the hammer to half cock prior to opening the action. Failing to do that invites a broken pin. 

I have discovered a broken pin after finishing a relay and recall shots not going where I thought they should go. Erratic ignition is what I blame it on. 

MIshooter

It's a Shiloh Sharps 1874.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2024 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Sep 29th, 2024 at 5:27pm:
Wayne:

Ron Smith introduced me to putting an angled groove on the chamber lip so the firing pin will never snag.

If you forget to open the hammer before dropping the block the firing pin will slide down the groove and back into the block.

I have done it to all of my single shots (1874 Shiloh Sharps, Miller DeHaas, 1885 Winchester, Meachem Hoch, Steven 44 1/2, CPA, Falling Block Works) and have never snagged a firing pin even when I broke them.

Another benefit of the groove is it helps to safely expell the gas presuure if you ever have a case rupture as well.

Dave

Dave,

That an excellent idea.  Thanks.

Wayne

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2024 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Agreed!
SchuetzenDave - Any chance of you posting a picture of a chamber lip so modified. Thinking this is at the 6 O'clock position... I believe I understand, but as they say "a picture's worth a thousand words!" Smiley)
Cheers!
Jeff Pfeifer

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2024 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Picture of divot in extractor on CPA to prevent snagging of the firing pin.
Does not show well with the block in place.

I take less off to ensure enough of the extractor engages my case.

For rifles with extractors on the side I put a bit more of an agressive groove inclined on the bottom lip of the chamber mouth.

Use a dremmel tool to either cut a divot in the extractor or to put a groove on the chamber lip.

Prevents the breaking of firing pins from snagging and also prevents the block locking up when you do break a firing pin.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2024 at 11:25pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

1Hawkeye

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2024 at 8:43am
Print Post  
I've been there too. When a sharps won't open its usually a broken firing pin or sometimes the rare raised primer. Shiloh sells the replacements for about 15.00 if I remember right and no charge if you are the original owner. I'm religious about going to half cocktail before lowering the block but sometimes the pins just break.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2024 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Another way a Shiloh can hang up on opening is if the cover plate on the firing pin slides over a bit it will hang up the action.  I've never had it happen in all of my years shooting my Shiloh's but it happened to a good friend of mine.

Chris.

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2024 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks Schuetzendave for the picture...
JP

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint