Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic An Interesting Find in a Local Gunshop - W. Sopar (Read 610 times)
S99VG
Oldtimer

An Interesting Find in a Local Gunshop - W. Sopar
Sep 29th, 2024 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Yesterday I stopped by a well-stocked local gun shop to do an FFL transfer and found a box of single shot parts and actions identified as Soper.  The actions and parts were in various stages of completion and, at first, I thought it might be a collection of items that someone had made castings of sometime in the recent past.  Because I didn't know anything about Sopar I went home and did a google search.  Turns out the action was developed in Britain in latter 1800s as a single shot cartridge replacement for military muzzle loaders of the period.  Although the actions are not marked, this got me thinking about my hypothesis on recent castings as the completed rifle is a complicated affair and the make seems fairly obscure in these modern times.  I have included links to pictures and would appreciate any information anyone might have on W. Sopar.  Many thanks in advance.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2024 at 2:15pm by S99VG »  

IP Logged

S99VG
Oldtimer

Re: An Interesting Find in a Local Gunshop - W. Sopar
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2024 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Here's what I came up with after a short afternoon invested in internet research:

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2024 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
I owned a Soper, for about a year, in '86. They are a marvel of design and workmanship. The side lever both opens the breech block and cocks it, at the same time.

Mine was a profusely engraved sporter, in 45 BP Express. It only weighted about 7.5 lb and would have kicked like hell, if I ever shot it.

Sometime before '85, there where a lot of complete actions, in the white, as well as parts, for sale, somewhere in the Bay Area. 

The dealer that bought mine, copied it with one of though actions and sold the copy, about '87/'88 for over $4,000, back at that time. I don't know what ever happened to mine.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

S99VG
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2024 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Sep 29th, 2024 at 8:25pm:
I owned a Soper, for about a year, in '86. They are a marvel of design and workmanship. The side lever both opens the breech block and cocks it, at the same time.

Mine was a profusely engraved sporter, in 45 BP Express. It only weighted about 7.5 lb and would have kicked like hell, if I ever shot it.

Sometime before '85, there where a lot of complete actions, in the white, as well as parts, for sale, somewhere in the Bay Area. 

The dealer that bought mine, copied it with one of though actions and sold the copy, about '87/'88 for over $4,000, back at that time. I don't know what ever happened to mine.

I'm in Sacramento so the Bay Area connection makes sense - given you mean San Francisco Bay.  So are these actions original or reproductions?  One of the actions in my pictures appears to have what I would interpret as a British proof mark - but I don't know much of what I'm talking about when it comes to these riles.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2024 at 12:43am by S99VG »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2024 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Yes, the SF area.

I believe they are original Sopers.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

S99VG
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2024 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Sep 30th, 2024 at 2:29am:
Yes, the SF area.

I believe they are original Sopers.

Thank you!

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2024 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I saw them in the Old Western Scrounger in El Cerrito about 1976 or 77. They were originals.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint