Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tropical SPG Question . (Read 262 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

Tropical SPG Question .
Sep 25th, 2024 at 6:50am
Print Post  
Recently I placed a request looking for someone who might like to do an exchange of a quantity of SPG and some 45/70 cases for a Russ Weber breech seater.
I have received a reply from a gentleman who is interested in such a trade and has a quantity of Tropical SPG. I have only ever used the normal SPG and am wondering what the difference is between it and the tropical and the normal stuff as I don't want to end up with something that may be unsuitable for my use here in Australia.
Mike.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Re: Tropical SPG Question .
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2024 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Here in Michigan we certainly don't get the heat you do down under...but what I like about it is you can melt in in boiling water and when cool..cut lube wads out and store them in tins.  You can handle them, and they don't stick to one another.  Have used them with real black, and cannot tell difference from regular SPG.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2024 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I've been using SPG Tropic since its introduction. Here in the Arizona desert, regular SPG turns gooey at about 90 degrees F. For my .38-55 Ballard I use Tropic as both bullet lube (pan lubed with SPG Tropic) and pre-cut lube wads, I can leave ammo out on shooting bench top (in the shade) and continue shooting at 100 + degrees. I normally shoot that rifle with duplex charge of 5.0 grains SR 4759 and the remainder of the case filled with Swiss or Olde Ensford with a card wad in the case mouth. I breech seat with a card wad at bullet base plus a groove diameter SPG Tropic about .09" thick. I have shot that load dirty for 65 continuous shots with no degradation in accuracy.
Tropic has a different consistency than regular SPG. It is harder at room temperature similar to candle wax but not quite that brittle. I think it's good stuff.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2024 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, looks like it will work fine for me here as well as in summer it can get quite hot.
Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint