Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Where to order custom mold (Read 851 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Where to order custom mold
Reply #15 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
The reason that the brass, single cavity was made, was for all the SS, BS guys. I had to talk him (Al)  into a single cavity, as that's what most  wanted when I did the group buy.

If you getting whiskers, you might try casting at a lower temp. I usually only get whiskers, when I cast to hot or fast on a iron mold. I usually have trouble casting fast enough, with a aluminum mold, to keep the temps up, enough for good fills and have to raise the temp.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

derrickman

Reply #16 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 9:28am
Print Post  
+1 for Steve Brooks.

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2024 at 7:16am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Sep 15th, 2024 at 12:56pm:
The reason that the brass, single cavity was made, was for all the SS, BS guys. I had to talk him (Al)  into a single cavity, as that's what most  wanted when I did the group buy.

If you getting whiskers, you might try casting at a lower temp. I usually only get whiskers, when I cast to hot or fast on a iron mold. I usually have trouble casting fast enough, with a aluminum mold, to keep the temps up, enough for good fills and have to raise the temp.

My moulds are brass and I did go down to 700 and still got whiskers. I get the same result with both moulds, 234 & 217. After a while I grew tired of removing them.

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2024 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I also had the whiskers issue with my NOE mold and found that the locating pins were very tight and seemed to change as the mold heated up. I relieved the edges of the holes just a bit.

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2024 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
I had a mold that would occasionally whisker. I mounted it on a set of Cabinetree Mold Handles and no more whiskers. Hmm, how about that? It couldn't have been me. I ordered another set of the handles in aluminum for my heavier molds. They are now made by a different outfit. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint