Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Black Powder Bench Rest Match (Read 790 times)
RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Black Powder Bench Rest Match
Sep 5th, 2024 at 11:43am
Print Post  
About a month ago at the ISSA Schuetzenfest, Westerner and I were having a conversation about how to attract new shooters to the Schuetzen game. He suggested we consider a black powder bench rest event to be held next year (2025) during our ISSA Schuetzenfest. As our conversation continued we outlined a match that would capture the spirit of the old Schuetzen game, c.1900 when black powder, duplex and semi smokeless powders ruled the matches & tournaments.
The outcome of our discussion is that the ISSA will be holding a 50-shot, black powder bench rest match during the 2025 Schuetzenfest at the NRA Whittington Center, NM.
Precise details are still developing but the match format will be something like this:
-Only black powder, substitutes (Pyrodex, 777, etc.) or duplex (max 5 grains of smokeless with black main charge)
-ISSA Traditional rules* for rifle configuration (BPCR Silhouette & mid-range rifles will comply)
-Any sights
-Bench Rest for score (ISSA rules*)
-50 record shots at 200 yards
-ISSA German 25 ring targets
-Fixed ammo, breech seating or muzzle loading (muzzle loaders also allowed)
-Match length - 1/2 hour sight-in plus 3 hours for record shots
This is a forum so please feel free to join in the online conversation. I’d love to know if any of you think this is a good idea, okay idea or maybe just plain stupid? Would you consider shooting this match? Some input on the match format would certainly be helpful. If nothing else, just throw out your 2˘ worth. Your opinion is solicited.

*The ISSA rules are available at: issa-schuetzen.org
Click “Rules” in the left hand navigation bar.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Black Powder Bench Rest Match
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
If I was still shooting, I would definitely consider shooting in it.

Here in Oregon, near Grants Pass and East of Eugene, we had a similar match, put on by me and Chauncy Roe. It was a lot of fun for the PNW guys, Wes Turner, included.

By "(muzzle loaders also allowed) " are you also including Slug Guns?

BTW, the above matches, also included OH, although OH has become a lot less popular, it would have been popular, if not the high light of the match in that time period.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2024 at 12:10pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
I think it would be a good idea.  I would like to see something similar, maybe only 20-30 shots incorporated into the ISSA regionals.  Maybe cut back on the current awfully hand matches.  I will also suggest to the Tacoma match director that we do something similar next year.  There is a growing number of BP shooters at my local range only an hour south of Tacoma who shoot BP not off the bench but sitting.  I am thinking about shooting a few if their  matches next year and could probably persuade some of them to attend a bench match. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
frnkeore
Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.
Slug guns are specifically be included. The more the merrier  Smiley
Black powder OH match would be a lot more difficult to work into the Schuetzenfest program. ISSA rules allow 3 minutes per shot so it's though to get off 50 record shots plus sighters in 150 minutes. I know that from first-hand experience. I shot our regular 50 shot iron sight OH event with duplex several years ago. If I hadn't been able to shirt dirty, I would not have been able finish the match in the allotted time.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
We have had a 20 shot 200 yd bench BP relay at the Tacoma matches but over the last 3-4 years only two of us have been shooting it.  I am hoping that if we increase the number of shots, more shooters would be interested in coming.  No more sitting matches there though since the only place to sit is ahead of the fixed concrete benches.  With the requirement that we have to allow members to use the right 1/2 of the range while we hold our match, sitting in front of the firing line would not be allowed.  Besides, it is getting too hard to get back up!  I think that Tacoma would revert back to the MR52 target though since i believe there is a large quantity of them still there and target $$$ is drying up since match prices were dropped. 
Maybe at Spokane we could have the option of shooting any sight BP off the bench while the offhand shooters shoot their iron sight offhand relay.  Scores would not be counted in the ISSA results, but it would give us old eye guys something to do that doesn't embarrass us.  (I am sure Gary and Sue would not agree with me though Smiley

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Sounds like fun!  May I make a suggestion?
    How about a Postal black powder bench rest match?  And perhaps either/0r 100yds & 200yds.  Alot of clubs are limited to only 100yd. range (mine included).  Being able to shoot on ones own range would make it alot more inviting for newcomers..and oldtimers like yours truly to take part.  Of course it would be on the honor system...but the Cast Bullet Association has been doing this for years.
Just a thought.  Thanks.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40 wrote on Sep 5th, 2024 at 1:09pm:
Sounds like fun!  May I make a suggestion?
    How about a Postal black powder bench rest match?  And perhaps either/0r 100yds & 200yds.  Alot of clubs are limited to only 100yd. range (mine included).  Being able to shoot on ones own range would make it alot more inviting for newcomers..and oldtimers like yours truly to take part.  Of course it would be on the honor system...but the Cast Bullet Association has been doing this for years.
Just a thought.  Thanks.

Sounds like a good way to prime the pump. 

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40
Your idea of a postal BP match is a very good one . . . (wait for it) . . . BUT
the ISSA does not have an infrastructure other than those individuals who serve on the Board of Directors. Our available time is consumed with the planning, logistics, medals, targets, etc. involved in managing and running our annual Schuetzenfest plus state regional matches. Bottom line - the ISSA doesn't have the bandwidth to take on running a postal match of national scale. If a champion were to step forward to take on the challenge of running a postal match, it could become a reality. 
That being the case, there are enough of us to run a BP bench rest side match at next year's ISSA Schuetzenfest and that's gonna happen  Smiley

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2024 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
A few of us had a BP prone side match at Tommy’s Stars and Stripes range on the off day when the matches spanned 10 days.  I still have a crick in my neck from attempting to shoot prone uphill.  If we have another match next year, I will ask Sue Miller if she could include the announcement in her emails.  I will volunteer to run it and track scores as long as it is any sight bench Smiley

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Jack, RSW is talking about a BP BR match at Raton during the ISSA national match. You haven't been to Raton yet have you?

As far as slug guns go, I don't think three hours is enough time for fifty shots. Not the way I load and shoot them, that's for sure.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Dewphd
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 10:57am
Print Post  
A bench rest BP match as outlined sounds very interesting to me!  I would be interested in joining that one!

IP Logged

hueyw
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 11:42am
Print Post  
i'm in for that.  black is mostly what i have done for lots of years.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 11:55am
Print Post  
If you don’t get local shooters interested then they won’t even know about Raton.  I am sure our local club members have no interest in traveling there for a 50 shot BP match.  Several do shoot the Quigley. I bet most have never even heard of the ISSA.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Sep 6th, 2024 at 11:55am:
If you don’t get local shooters interested then they won’t even know about Raton.  I am sure our local club members have no interest in traveling there for a 50 shot BP match.  Several do shoot the Quigley. I bet most have never even heard of the ISSA. 

Jack. Local shooters? You mean like Tommy? There are few local BP/Schuetzen shooters in Spokane.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2024 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
No ISSA or ASSRA Schuetzen shoots in Alberta for a number of years.
Not many BP shooters around except for the BPCR Silhouette matches which continue in BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.
Appears AR rifles rule the day now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint