Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) breech seating info (Read 479 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

breech seating info
Aug 30th, 2024 at 5:02am
Print Post  
I have a 40/65 in which I only use BP, .I.am now considering trying .breech seating and I have a simple question re an over powder wad. My usual .load is 61 gr of 3f which brings the powder level in the case within 3/8" of the case mouth. My question is what would be the best thing to use to fill this space. I do not have any capock but would cotton wool  work OK. or perhaps a thin wad on top of .the powder perhaps.
Advice would be much appreciated.
Mike

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: breech seating info
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 7:04am
Print Post  
MIKE:

I have found amaranth seed to be an excellent filler in BP cartridges.  It is a hard spherical grain about 1mm diameter, and readily available in many health-food stores.  Just dump it in on top of the powder. It meters very smoothly and accurately in powder measures -- I keep a dedicated measure for it.

CHRIS

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Another option would be to take advantage of that extra space in your cartridge case and increase your powder charge so that your top over powder wad is flush with the case mouth. Could well be to your benefit when shooting at longer distances. That's the real be beauty of breech seating.
Best of luck and please keep us informed of your results.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
I've always used Cream of Wheat to fill cases, when fire forming. You could use that and cap it off with bullet lube or Vaseline.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Chris
How do you stop the aramanath seed from spilling out when loading the case into the action ?.
Randy, A full case of powder drop tubed in my case weighs just shy of 70 gr, as all my target shooting is mostly done at 100 m this is a bit too much i feel. also what thickness wad should I use to stop the powder spilling out into my rifles action ?. 
I guess I could use bullet lube to cap it off as suggested .
Cheers
Mike

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Does it need a filler?

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2024 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Mike
Over powder wads can be punched from milk cartons, .030 or .060 veggie material or empty cereal boxes. I've used all and don't really have a preference for breech seating.
A 70gr charge may be a bit overkill for 100m distance but I've never had much luck with fillers in black powder loads. All my black powder cartridge experience has been using full powder charges whether fixed or breech seated for everything from .32-40 thru .50-2.5".  The other guys may have more to add on using fillers.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2024 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Aug 30th, 2024 at 8:33pm:
Chris
How do you stop the aramanath seed from spilling out when loading the case into the action ?.
Randy, A full case of powder drop tubed in my case weighs just shy of 70 gr, as all my target shooting is mostly done at 100 m this is a bit too much i feel. also what thickness wad should I use to stop the powder spilling out into my rifles action ?. 
Cheers
Mike

Mike,
For starters stop droptubing - you want to use less powder, but you're still compacting it by drop tubing, to be able to get more powder into the case.  But you want to use less pwder?  doesn't compute.
At any rate, I'd just use a card wad at the case mouth.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2024 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Aug 30th, 2024 at 8:33pm:
Chris
Cheers
Mike

MIKE: 

My preferred top wad for all applications is  0.060” LDPE.   Cut them big enough to be snug in the fired case, and you’re good to 

CHRIS

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2024 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Does it need a filler?

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2024 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Westener
If I just seat a wad in the mouth of the case the powder will not be compressed in any way, is this a problem ?. What I am saying is that with my usual target load of 61 gr the powder column is about 3/8" below the case neck top, is this air space going to cause an issue. Also with my bullet seated to engrave the base band in the rifling there is a gap of about.3/16" to the case mouth.
I have read stuff about chamber ringing from wads, I just want to be safe and not damage my rifle in any way.
Cheers
Mike.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2024 at 9:50am
Print Post  
A 3/8 and smaller gap will not cause a problem. Place a wad on the powder and give it a try. 61 grains for 100M seems like overkill to me, but if the rifle is accurate.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint