Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Front Rests (Read 790 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Front Rests
Aug 26th, 2024 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Yet another rabbit hole I fell down...
A shooting game some locals have been playing for the last few months, again, has been shooting bottle caps - modeled after the 1920's and the galleries.  We've been constantly evolving our processes from the measuring devices, to the card stock discs, to frames we use to hold the discs. It's still a 22rf game and shooting indoors at 50' offers enough of a challenge it hasn't moved outside.  The make of rifle, the barrel, the ammunition, optics all play huge roles in the outcome.  Lately, having spent considerable time, money and energy on these components, I fell down the slippery slope of rests.
While shooting these discs, a move from disc to disc offers challenges much like shooting the rf BR target.  It involves repositioning yourself after each shot.  The original discs are 1.6" diameter so a shift of at least that amount is required between each shot, be it vertical or horizontal, with 13 moves required to shoot a card, should be easy right?  The discs after being shot are measured on a device that includes a dial indicator that measures the distance from center in thousandths of an inch... 
The slippery slope I fell down recently was in the rests.  I went from the simple block of wood with a sandbag, to a Hoppes rest, a Hart, a Sinclair, Bald Eagle, and then the Seb rest caught my eye, the concept of a handle that allowed a rotation form of motion was intriguing.  Maybe not to that expense though, call me somewhat conservative... I settled for Seb's son's new rest, the AR250.  In the bottle cap game it works well and with some time on grade it's working for me.  I have found the learning curve of it's operation for this redneck to be quite steep when the shooting distance increased - that distance being in excess of 100 yards.  I've been given advice by several fellow shooters and I've experimented with various counterweights but my patience runs thin down some of these avenues.   
Another discipline I participate in involves rest shooting at 50, 100 and 200 yards, most here know that well.  Following my struggles with the AR 250, I found the compact size of this rest very convenient - it fit in my Bullseye shooters box that contains the rest of my goodies.  The hunt began for a simple rest that would fit the box and my needs.  I settled on the slingshot shaped, cast iron, Bald Eagle rest - dimensionally it fit in the box, but it needed a few changes.  Here's a couple pics along with some bling.
GT

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Front Rests
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2024 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Many of you know I have a fetish for Damascus.  Most of the knobs for this rest were changed and they now have a Damascus feature.  A couple more knobs yet to be made.   
I took a stab at making a front bag for this rest and the first one didn't turn out like I'd hoped so more to follow.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2024 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Is there no end to your interests? I hope not!  Smiley

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2024 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Greg, I like Bling and your measuring device for the bottle caps is ingenious.
Here is my solution to the compact front rest issue.
Chuck

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2024 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Greg,I really like the Randoulph adjustable top they make. It makes it quick and easy to adjust for most any forearm fit. JMO

Love the Bling

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2024 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Randolph the way to go...quick and easy !    UNLESS your a doer and make things!

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2024 at 7:21pm
Print Post  

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Enjoy seeing all of your projects GT ! Always something going on. Instead of going down rabbit holes it seems more like going down holes in a Prairie dog town!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Chuckster, that is a very clever (and compact!) rest. Bravo.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Chuckster,
I do like the simplicity of yours and I like the strip of leather.

For shooting caps my best successes have been with the forend squeezed by a clamp of one form or another.  The AR250 has features that fit wood perfect on a couple of my stocks, but not on some of the others.  Here's a pic of that rest with one of those gate latch guns on it.
The next picture is of the evolution of the measuring devices, we've went from smashing them out of steel to using the 3-D printer for the body.  All I have to do is press a couple of bearings in and ream the hole for the indicator.  The remaining machine work involves the platter (with shaft, all integral) and a thumb wheel - mucho easier and a lot less time. 

The other change we're making is going from a 1.6" disc to a 1" disc - less room for misses but we've found the 1" on eBay - we  made punches for the 1.6" and I was running out of volunteers to punch out the discs. Sad

CC,
There's another story behind the rabbit hole, but I've been down a lot of them...

GT

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2024 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
I really like your compact front rest Chuck!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2024 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Appreciate the comments, but can't keep up with Greg. His stuff is amazing.
Have added a strip of sheep skin wool saddle lining for a little more padding. Several strips of thin leather is more flexible than thicker leather.
Chuck

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 1:31am
Print Post  
A beautiful work of useful art Chuckster, I think it was B Square that at one time long ago, made a front rest similar in thought to yours, but fell far short of yours in execution. Long ago I gave it to my son and he still uses it to this day.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2024 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
I like the new measuring devices.  I’m sure they are much less work but still give what you are looking for.  Really cool.
Bruce

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint