Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic frank Wesson (Read 558 times)
Judge 1879
Participating Member

frank Wesson
Aug 25th, 2024 at 9:51am
Print Post  
hey all, 
I've come across a low serial number Frank Wesson in what i believe is 32 ca. But there is very little information on these available. I am aware of the single shot rifle series of books that have some information, as I don not have any of those, I am seeking your knowledge. it seems to have been nickel plated, and has the 2 "trigger" set up for releasing the mechanism, serial # is 391. I am wondering if this low of a number when this was manufactured, is it possible that it may have seen use during the civil war? I have found some information that says these were purchased by some of the Union States to arm their Soldiers. I love history and if it is in that range I may purchase it. I will swing by the shop today and get some pictures.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: frank Wesson
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2024 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
There is a series of Wesson books and come in a cased set, at least my set did.  I haven’t had a chance to read through them so far, so can’t really help on what you are wanting to know.

Contact Tom Rowe and he should be able to say if they are still available.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Judge 1879
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2024 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
How much was the set? And is he a member?

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2024 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Honestly don’t remember how much.   

Check your PM.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2024 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
There are several models, this info was in Wikipedia, as such it is probably suspect.

Two-trigger models
Models:
1st Type - a slotted link to keep the barrel from swinging too high was on the right hand side of the rifle. In later years of this model, an extractor was on the left hand side. The frames were iron or brass. (1859-1864)
2nd Type - the slotted link moved to the left hand side of the rifle, the extractor moved to the right side. Iron frames only. (1863-1876)
3rd Type - an adjustable hammer, patented in 1872, was available for rimfire or centerfire. (1872-1888)
4th Type (aka Mid Range No. 2) - globe front sight replaced the German silver sight. (1872-1888)
5th Type (aka New Model) - Frame was flat on vertical sides to the left and right of the hammer mechanism.(1876-1888)

I've got one, first model w/o extractor in .32 RF, nickel plated brass frame and rifle butt plate, serial is #51, so also pretty early.  I'm pretty sure the Civil War issued ones had blued, iron frames, carbine butts and were .44 RF.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

Judge 1879
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2024 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
well I believe this is a later model, still with a low serial number, I wonder if these were numbered fresh with each model. from what I've seen and have read this is most likely a type 5, it is in 32 cal. the nickel is pretty worn from handling, the bore looks good, dirty but the rifling looks good.It has the 1872 patent on the hammer so it appears to be the convertible RF/CF model, that makes it easier to find ammonium for this.
I'm getting for a song so I'm thinking about restarting the reciever to the original unpolished nickle plate. Thoughts??
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2024 at 9:45am by Judge 1879 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint