Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Does custom work effect value? (Read 2208 times)
Judge 1879
Participating Member

Re: Does custom work effect value?
Reply #15 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Looks like it was done by a different person, or was an afterthought. Honestly once I have it in my hands I think I'm going to see if they can be sanded away.  They stocks are junk as far as I can see, perhaps they can be refinished if the engraving isn't to deep. I'm sure I will try and leave the texture by the pistol grip as I actually do like that. If it's possible to save them, the rifle will retain all of its born with components.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 9:14am
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Aug 21st, 2024 at 6:31am:
The real question here is would you want to be caught dead in public with that rifle?
It is a project rifle. If the bore is good buy it cheap and restock it. If the bore isn't. Buy it cheaper and make it into a more of a project gun.

Could wear one of these... You would be covered...

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Judge 1879 wrote on Aug 22nd, 2024 at 8:16am:
Looks like it was done by a different person, or was an afterthought. Honestly once I have it in my hands I think I'm going to see if they can be sanded away.  They stocks are junk as far as I can see, perhaps they can be refinished if the engraving isn't to deep. I'm sure I will try and leave the texture by the pistol grip as I actually do like that. If it's possible to save them, the rifle will retain all of its born with components.

You'll only make the stocks worse by sanding the carving off! It's much too deep to save, and if you sand down until it's gone it will really look hideous.
Save your time and money for either donor stocks, or new semi inletted stock set. You might even be able to sell those stocks to someone in need of a pistol grip stock set as is. Wont get much, but better than tossing them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Jack has a Ballard. He would buy them.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Ugly stocks?  Bring them on.  There is no such thing as an ugly stock. Just ugly people Smiley

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #20 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 22nd, 2024 at 10:50am:
Jack has a Ballard. He would buy them.  Smiley

Grin Grin

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
How does it shoot?

You'll never get the (often mythical) Big Bucks from a couple mad collectors going ape bidding on an auction site for that rifle, as they want only the most pristine originality in everything, and are willing to pay accordingly.

However, if you want a good example o a Union Hill for shooting I'd say you have one there.  The price is what you think it might be worth.  $1400-1500 or so would definitely spark my interest; I bought a rebarreled forged Ballard action (missing stocks and with some "issues") for about that and there were many other Ballards of higher cost with much less potential at the same show.

As the late great James Grant put it so well, "Anyone who insists upon only the utmost in originality and condition in the rifles he collects will never have a truly representative collection, although he will have a lot of fine pieces."

I don't think it looks that bad, although somebody who stipples an antique rifle instead of checkering it has an unusual lack of taste.  Tell your pals at the range that you have the best ugly gun in town.

IP Logged

Judge 1879
Participating Member

Reply #22 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Aug 22nd, 2024 at 4:14pm:
How does it shoot?

You'll never get the (often mythical) Big Bucks from a couple mad collectors going ape bidding on an auction site for that rifle, as they want only the most pristine originality in everything, and are willing to pay accordingly.

However, if you want a good example o a Union Hill for shooting I'd say you have one there.  The price is what you think it might be worth.  $1400-1500 or so would definitely spark my interest; I bought a rebarreled forged Ballard action (missing stocks and with some "issues") for about that and there were many other Ballards of higher cost with much less potential at the same show.

As the late great James Grant put it so well, "Anyone who insists upon only the utmost in originality and condition in the rifles he collects will never have a truly representative collection, although he will have a lot of fine pieces."

I don't think it looks that bad, although somebody who stipples an antique rifle instead of checkering it has an unusual lack of taste.  Tell your pals at the range that you have the best ugly gun in town.

actually I'm getting it for about half that price, I think I worked a pretty good deal on this one, have yet to actually take possesion of it, so , will have to let you know how it shoots.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 24th, 2024 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Although this was was better executed the market for it is also significantly reduced

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Aug 24th, 2024 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Increases the value on a high grade high condition carved and engraved schuetzen rifle from the late 1800s to late 20s. But that is not what we are seeing here.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #25 - Aug 24th, 2024 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Aug 24th, 2024 at 2:52pm:
Increases the value on a high grade high condition carved and engraved schuetzen rifle from the late 1800s to late 20s. But that is not what we are seeing here.

On German rifles maybe, on American rifles, not, IMO.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #26 - Aug 24th, 2024 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
On American rifles it depends on who did the work, and the quality of the workmanship. I think we've all seen custom built single shot rifles done by some of the master gunsmiths that often elevate the values way above what identical versions of the rifles in 100% stock form get.
People like Zischang, Schoyen, Peterson, etc., etc., can bring huge prices on their custom guns. Pope rarely did much beyond barrel work, but often the guns he put fine barrels on then went to custom stock makers to get more work done, and then his barreled actions also get big money when properly finished by others.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #27 - Aug 24th, 2024 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
  I've never seen any stock carving on an American rifle that increased it's value, in my opinion; but, I've lived a pretty sheltered life.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #28 - Aug 24th, 2024 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Aug 24th, 2024 at 6:36pm:
  I've never seen any stock carving on an American rifle that increased it's value, in my opinion; but, I've lived a pretty sheltered life.

I agree. I was simply speaking about "custom work" not stock carving.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 25th, 2024 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Jeff, I failed to mention that I was referring  to German, Austrian, et all rifles. My slip up.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint