Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Does custom work effect value? (Read 2197 times)
Judge 1879
Participating Member

Does custom work effect value?
Aug 20th, 2024 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Hello all, so I have a question, how much does custom work done by the original owner effect value? I am in the process of working a deal on a No. 9 Union hills Ballard in .32/40. The stock has had some very nicely done engraving ( or carving as some prefer) of a grizzly bear on one side and a flower on the other. The forearm has a nice floral treatment as well. I will try and post Pictures. Mechanically it seems to be all correct and matching. Just a thought on a collection topic.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2024 at 8:47pm by Judge 1879 »  

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Does custom work effect value?
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2024 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
My own opinion is that few people understand that "custom"  relates only to the person who the customizing is/was for.  Beyond that is is just another used rifle or whatever.   Still, that's a nice looking rifle if it tweaks your fancy.  It may have been "custom" for the owner, but it isn't really custom for the buyer.   That's all just my antiquated way fo understanding the English language.  I'd never add a nickle just because sometbhing was "custom" unless I really liked it.

George

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2024 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
To each his own and I will probably get some guff for saying so but I think someone ruined a perfectly good original Ballard rifle. I am not a fan of such graphic carving. Some tasteful engraving or checkering is all a classic like a Ballard needs. Most of the time they need nothing at all. The classic lines of most single shots is enough. As I stated this is MY two cents worth and mine alone. I hope your deal goes your way.

JMH

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2024 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Whoever did the work on the wood definitely had some artistic ability. That being said, to me that rifle is just a barreled action.

However, if you like it, buy it. If you do buy it I certainly would expect it to sell at a discounted price. Chances are you won't recover your money if you ever sell it.

Just my opinion, and probably not worth 2 cents due to inflation.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2024 at 10:55pm by JerryH »  

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2024 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
I agree with Jerry. Restocked well, it would be worth more than it is now.
Sorta reminds me of my Zettler brothers Ballard that has tacks in the stock.  Cry

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

RDBallard

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Ruined a nice gun in my opinion

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Gunmakers at the turn of the previous century had a particular aesthetic regarding rifle stocks and engraving. Schuetzen rifles were originally made with skill and an eye for beauty. The first real schuetzen rifle I remember seeing was a Singer-Pope Winchester, and it was wonderful. Nobody wants a gun that's been butchered, but unfortunately there's lots of butchers out there. This is my idea of a custom rifle
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2024 at 5:08pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 6:31am
Print Post  
The real question here is would you want to be caught dead in public with that rifle?
It is a project rifle. If the bore is good buy it cheap and restock it. If the bore isn't. Buy it cheaper and make it into a more of a project gun.

IP Logged

TomKlinger

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Subtract the price of having the stock replaced……it still won’t be as valuable as an untouched original, but, you will be able to show it off without listening to how ugly it is and “why would someone screw up an original”👍
Tom Klinger

IP Logged

Judge 1879
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 7:58am
Print Post  
That was the point of this post and as I agree with you all it is ugly, nice work but just over the top. It is cheap and is a package deal with a low serial number 6 1/2 with original factory checkering, and a Remington Hepburn in .45/70 that is in original condition. The amount I'm saving on the other 2 covers the cost of the project rifle, so its almost a buy 2 get 1 free deal.

IP Logged

Babydriver
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 8:23am
Print Post  
It is said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Well I’m not the beholder but in my eye it’s ugly.😂

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 10:32am
Print Post  
The carving isn't bad, but it's also not high quality either. It detracts from a beautiful rifle by being too much for this nice Union Hill. 
As for value, I think the value of this Union Hill is cut almost in half by the carving. But the good news is if you keep your eyes open either here on ASSRA or on Ebay I see unaltered stock sets selling at prices much less than what it would cost to restock this rifle with new stocks. So if it's priced right I'd shoot it and keep looking for original donor stock set to eventually put it back to original looks.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Judge 1879
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
That's kinda what I was thinking, Val. Other than the ugly carving it's a nice offhand Ballard

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
That Zischange is my idea of a tastefully done Ballard. Just enough but not over the top.

JMH

IP Logged

toppkatt
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I don't think the bear was done all that well, not that I could do better, but he should stick to the floral designs...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint