Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Barrel sled design thoughts (Read 394 times)
JHand
Participating Member

Barrel sled design thoughts
Aug 8th, 2024 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
I made a new top for my front rest out of UMHW plastic and turned it into a barrel sled base. After seeing the results, my dad has decided to give one a shot, but decided to get a sled from Vanwey rather than the plastic one I made, but now that he has it, it raised a question for me. 

On the sled I made, I made the base 1.5" wide, which is the max rules allow. My thoughts were that the wide, flat base, will help keep the rifle from rolling during recoil and help the rifle come straight back.
On Vanwey's sled, the base has wheels, and if you take them off, the bottom is rounded. I understand that will minimize surface contact and perhaps allow the rifle to slide back easier, but would that cause the rifle to rock back under recoil so you end up looking at the sky more?

Curious about others thoughts and any experience with both. One I build the base for his, I will definitely try a group on both rests to see what happens.

IP Logged

JHand
Participating Member

Re: Barrel sled design thoughts
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2024 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
My homemade design with scrap from the base

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2024 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I've been using one of Jerry's front sleds for years.  It never leaves the surface of the plate on my rest and, if I hold the gun the same way each time, winds up pointed in the same direction at the end of the recoil.  (Which is helpful in reminding me when I'm not paying sufficient attention.)

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2024 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Your flat bottom can still snag even with the low friction material ( rounded should be better). Also the heavier weight of the brass should hold the gun down better under recoil. I would also worry the materials like delrin, teflon, etc may allow the barrel to slip to easily. Good luck, let use know your results.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2024 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Just love my brass/aluminum sled from  Jerry?. I'll take a pic of the quick change plate I made to fit my Randolph Rest. Really the way to go to wring out A barrel,then shoot it off the forearm and barrel to test also.
A buddy made a delrin rest like yours and it works for him !
The leather under the wheels helps alot......
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2024 at 11:29am by Skalkaho »  

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint