Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Buyer beware (Read 1949 times)
jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Buyer beware
Aug 3rd, 2024 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Friend brought me over a set of RCBS 40-65 dies he bought on fleabay and said they wouldn't seat a spritzer type bullet. We removed the seating plug and to our surprise the previous owner had epoxied the nose to fit a round nose bullet. Don't know what he used but it took some lathe work to dig it out. Cleaned it out and polished it good as new. Never know what you get now days. Full disclosure as the say. Yea right... Anyone else got a surprise from something they bought?

JMH

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Buyer beware
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2024 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I have had some issues but I figure eBay can be a gamble so you win some and lose some.   
I have had good luck dealing with buyers on some issues and have gotten satisfactory resolutions

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2024 at 8:50am
Print Post  
While I buy very little on ebay, I do look for a lot of things on there. One thing that I have concluded is that there are many on there that have little to no information about what they are selling. May be that a lot of them are passing on things that they pick up at auction or stuff from a family member that has passed away and really don't know anything at all about what they are selling. There is also a good chance that they honestly don't know. The above set of dies may fall into that category. It is very possible that all they knew about the dies is what was on the box. The up side is that the problem was solved with out much problem. Also don't be afraid to ask questions of the seller. If you know what you want to buy and are familiar with the product, you can ask a question and judge the sellers knowledge by their answer. 
YMMV
Sam

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2024 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Yes,I agree the seller may not have known much about the die set. Buyer beware of the seller that does not answer questions about the item.  On ebay buyers have more protections than the seller. If the item isn't as described you can get ebay involved for a refund even if the seller doesn't give refunds.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2024 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Yes, buyer beware  - - - - and on eBay,  also seller beware!  I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay and been ripped off by buyers more than once.   They simply tell eBay the item is not "as described."  eBay automatically sides with the buyer and the seller hasn't a chance.  If you, as a seller, aren't willing to pay return postage (often as much or more than the selling price) you lose the item and the cost of the item plus the shipping charges, eBay fees, etc.      

George

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2024 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Yup, I quit selling on EBay years ago. I do buy a lot and agree a LOT of sellers are clueless as to what they are selling.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2024 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I try to find other resources for selling since eBay is going to be forced to report a sellers gross sales over $600 to the IRS.  The gov't postponed the provision for a year since it was widely unpopular.  It has been $20,000 but Uncle Sam is evidently not spending what it takes in very wisely and wants to make sure the extra IRS agents it hired have something to do.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2024 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
If the seller got a bunch of die sets from an estate he may not have even been aware of the seating die issue. If it was sold to me I'd contact the seller and give him a chance to either take the set back, or adjust the final price.
It isn't always a case of the seller knowing himself, and if that happens it just needs to be worked out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2024 at 2:50am
Print Post  
I got burned by ebay recently as a seller. I sold a NIB fuel pump to a guy who didn't do his research so when it didn't fit what ever he was using it for.he wanted to return it. I clearly advertised what it was and the box was clearly marked. Photos of the pump and box were in the listing. I listed it as "no return" but ebay forced me to take it back. Luckily 2 months later it sold.

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2024 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
That's been my experience too.    They will always side with the buyer so it is really a waste of time to try reasoning with them.   Someday the eBay powers that be might figure out where their income comes from.   It is the sellers paying 12-14% of sales price and shipping;  not the buyers.  After the last time I got burned I swore I'd never sell there again, but I have so much "stuff" that needs to go away that I'll probably have to start selling there again.

George

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2024 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Surely there must be a forum just for whiners.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2024 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
It does beg the question of why would you want to shoot a spitzer bullet in a 40-65?  In my experience they become highly unreliable past 300 and a seating plug for one leaves too much play for a round nose..

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2024 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Jeff,

I thought the #1 purpose of online forums was whinning Smiley

If I did not frequent eBay primarily looking for 1885 High Wall parts, I would definitely miss out on good deals.  Today I won a lot with 2 triggers (one is kind of funky) and a couple of extractors, one looks to need repair but the main item is an across the bottom .22 extractor which seem to be very scarce.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2024 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Aug 5th, 2024 at 4:20pm:
Surely there must be a forum just for whiners.

There's a website, for donating to hercampaign.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2024 at 8:43am
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Aug 5th, 2024 at 6:32pm:
Jeff,

If I did not frequent eBay primarily looking for 1885 High Wall parts, I would definitely miss out on good deals.  Today I won a lot with 2 triggers (one is kind of funky) and a couple of extractors, one looks to need repair but the main item is an across the bottom .22 extractor which seem to be very scarce. 

I'm with Jack! Ebay is the country's best parts gunshow. Sold a lot and bought a lot of parts over the years. You could spend half your life looking for parts you need walking the isles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint