Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Advice on barrel length and twist (Read 585 times)
Snuffy
Participating Member

Advice on barrel length and twist
Jul 24th, 2024 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Folks

I thinking about rebarreling a Sharps 45-120 (34” octagon Douglas barrel with 1 in 20 twist) to a 45-70.  My questions are:  What twist rate and barrel length to you recommend and why?  I plan to shoot most smokeless powder in the 200 to 300 yard range but might venture into the Holy Black and try 600 to 1000 yards.

I may be asking way too much of the caliper and barrel but might as well go for the moon!!!

Your opinions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Tennessee Snuffy

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Advice on barrel length and twist
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2024 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
I rebarreled 1878 Borchart, 45/70 with a 20 twist Douglas "Benchrester" barrel, full octagon and  finished at 31".

It shot 430 - 500 gr bullets, at 2-300 yards, accurately and with those weight bullets, I think it would have held to 600 yards but, I think I would have used a 18 twist beyound that. Also, a 18 twist would have more resale value, as that has been the standard LR twist, since at least the 70's. People still argue whether a faster twist is need for LR.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2024 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
my 45-70's  17 twist Kreiger was A phenominal shooter with 530 Money bullets. Then I built a  RKS 17 gain twist. Also A great Quigley gun........throated out for the 540? Saeco ,held 72 gr.  3F    shot 50 fps under a 45-90  alot cheaper for brass......

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I have several .45-70's I've built up using 1:18" twist barrels, and that's what I'd choose if you plan to stretch it out on occasion. A faster twist will still work great for shorter distances, and lighter bullets, but a slower twist wont handle heavier bullets and longer distance as well.
As for length, I shoot iron sights at longer range and I like a 32"-34" barrel.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2024 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Faster twists are necessary to use longer and heavier bullets.

We have transitioned to going to tighter twists to shoot longer heavier bullets further distances. 

Shorter bullets in faster twist rifles spin faster and the overspinning may affect accuracy.

We use gyroscopic stability factor calculators such as the Don Miller formula to assess the proper match of bullet length and twist to ensure we have adequate spin to stabilize the bullet or to find the point where accuracy may be affected by too much overspinning of the bullet.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2024 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Jul 26th, 2024 at 12:07am:
Faster twists are necessary to use longer and heavier bullets.

We have transitioned to going to tighter twists to shoot longer heavier bullets further distances. 

Shorter bullets in faster twist rifles spin faster and the overspinning may affect accuracy.

We use gyroscopic stability factor calculators such as the Don Miller formula to assess the proper match of bullet length and twist to ensure we have adequate spin to stabilize the bullet or to find the point where accuracy may be affected by too much overspinning of the bullet.

Have we gone full circle?  Wasn't this where we were when smokeless powder and jacketed bullets first appeared?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2024 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I still wonder how the Creedmoor shooters in 1874 were able to shoot a 530 gr. bullet in their .44-77 BN, or .44-90 BN accurately at 1000 yds. using the slow twist rates most people today refuse to use, and think wont work with those heavy bullets?
I shoot a 1:16" twist in my .40-65 Roller with a 415 gr. Snover bullet, but I also shoot an original Ballard Pacific with a .40-85 Ballard chamber, and a 1:20" twist rate using the same bullet at the same velocity. Both are very accurate rifles with great bores, and the Ballard might have a slight edge with it's slower twist rate.
I'm just not convinced that you have to have the fast twist barrels that the formulas suggest to shoot accurately with heavier bullets.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint