Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lyman 1978 Century scope (Read 1014 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Lyman 1978 Century scope
Jul 15th, 2024 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Perusing Ebay about a week ago when I stumbled upon a Lyman Centennial Model long tube telescope for auction. It was near the end and the price was way too low, so I tossed a bid in and won it. It looked sort of worn, and maybe dirty, but auction description said the optics were great. These were made only one year in 1978.

It arrived today and when I opened it there was still an old "Mcbride's" sporting goods label on it for $225. The tube and mounts were filthy, but a little Kroil on 4/0 steel wool made it look like new! Both elevation and windage adjusters were stuck, so a drop of Kroil on each of them and with just a half turn they broke free and turned easily by hand! Wiped the tube down and it is ready to go on one of my old guns. It's a 34" tube, so will work with any rifle with a 30" barrel, or longer barrel if the front base is mounted back a bit. I had one of these on a Ruger-Lyman Centennial rifle years ago, and never saw one of the scopes sold separate from a Ruger until now.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2024 at 8:14pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman 1978 Century scope
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Nice find and at a good price (I guess). I have never seen one before. Thanks for sharing. What are you going to mount it on?

JMH

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2024 at 4:17am
Print Post  
Is that the scope from the Ruger 45-70 of that era?

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2024 at 8:27am
Print Post  
There were all sorts of pieces parts in the Centennial Ruger package, but the only thing I’ve ever had to get an individual part was the bullet mould, which was commonly offered separately. I’m not sure the scope was ever offered by itself or whether one had to find one of the sets being broken up.  Regardless, that would be a neat one to have, with antique style using then current (1978) optics.
Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2024 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Jul 16th, 2024 at 8:27am:
There were all sorts of pieces parts in the Centennial Ruger package, but the only thing I’ve ever had to get an individual part was the bullet mould, which was commonly offered separately. I’m not sure the scope was ever offered by itself or whether one had to find one of the sets being broken up.  Regardless, that would be a neat one to have, with antique style using then current (1978) optics.
Froggie

I was told many years ago when I owned my Ruger that Lyman built more scopes than Ruger built rifles, and the overruns were sold separately by Lyman. No idea how much they sold for, but I've seen them sell in the $500-$800 range, and I won this one for way under the lower end of that range.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2024 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I still have one of the Lyman '78 Ruger Commemorative 45-70's, but it's a rare overrun example without the receiver etching. It came with one of the Lyman scopes that I sold to a friend for $275 as I recall. The rifle and scope serial numbers did not match.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2024 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I bought one from an older gentleman at a Rochester NY show in the early 80's for $60. It was new in the plain box that was obviously meant for the scope. Kind of a neat piece of Lyman history, but at the time of little use to me, as I was more interested in early original scopes. For that and other reasons, I sold it for $400 in the early 90's The fellow in Rochester was a long employed Lyman employee and had many very interesting obsolete Lyman products for sale. Unfortunately I had purchased a very high condition Highwall at the show, so had little available assets for a multitude of items he had for sale. I did keep in touch with him in passing years, and acquired a few more interesting items, sights and loading tools in particular. Had it been of higher than 4x, I might have kept it to use on a more modern replica, and as now seemed to need 4 to10x that much magnification. I might also note that in the not too distant future, it will be an older original scope, but a little late for me.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2024 at 4:42am
Print Post  
i seem to recall there was a very limited range available with the Lyman/Ruger combination and people were swapping the scopes out if they wanted to shoot beyond 200yds, not sure if it was due to a lack of adjustment range or a mount issue. Would not surprise me at all to see a "loose" scope.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2024 at 8:02am
Print Post  
My rifle mentioned above in my earlier post had been D&T with an extra pair of holes that matched Ruger's "normal" scope base separation. This allows me to use two rear Ruger scope bases made for the 1V varmint rifle. Being able to use a modern scope meant that I had no real use for the long Lyman scope, so I sold it to my friend and we were both happy.

The mention of the Rochester NY show above caused a nostalgic moment for me. It was a good show and I did a lot of buying and selling there over the years. Now it's long gone like lots of other gun related things in this politically anti-gun state.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2024 at 10:51am
Print Post  
SchwarzStock wrote on Jul 18th, 2024 at 4:42am:
i seem to recall there was a very limited range available with the Lyman/Ruger combination and people were swapping the scopes out if they wanted to shoot beyond 200yds, not sure if it was due to a lack of adjustment range or a mount issue. Would not surprise me at all to see a "loose" scope.

I owned one of the Ruger/Lyman Centennial commemoratives in the cased set with all the extras. It was limited with the mounts and limited vertical adjustment, and I ran out at 250 yds. But I simply put a taller base at the rear, and reinstalled the scope. I could shoot 100 yds. and not be bottomed out, but also got it out to 500 yds. with the tall rear base. Ruger and Lyman should have sold the guns with a tall rear base and made them more versatile.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
I guess perhaps Lyman figured that out and decided to let the buyer decide which rear base to use to extend range. Too, at that time there were far fewer long range disciplines and shooters to consider in their decision making.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint