Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shipping Firearms (Read 524 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Shipping Firearms
Jul 13th, 2024 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
There have been several past threads concerning questions on shipping firearms.  Here's an excellent article on the subject that covers the Federal requirements in plain language.  It does not address specific state requirements for intrastate shipping.  I believe most, but not all, allow intrastate shipping without requiring an FFL.

BTW, I've been an FFL licensee for over 40 years & can verify the author knows his stuff.  Note that he's a firearms attorney.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Shipping Firearms
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Just a couple notes to add to his info.
First if shipping to an FFL, don't bother leaving the package unsealed. Simply make a copy of the FFL license to show the shipper if asked, and put another copy inside the package.
Second, his info only applies to firearms not antique guns. Antique guns don't apply for almost any of the info he listed.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Marlinguy,

Good comments.  I also do not leave the package open & bring an additional copy of my FFL, although I’ve never been asked for it at the north Austin FedEx facility I use.

Another recommendation.  Stamp or write FRAGILE on several locations on the outside of the box.  Since I ship a good number of firearms, I had a large self-inking stamp made & stamp all sides.  I think it helps.  Of course, a Sharpie works just as well.

BTW, when discussing shipping firearms with a FedEx representative a few years ago, he commented that handlers & deliver drivers assume a long skinny box contains a firearm even though it’s not identified as such on the outside, especially if it’s being sent to a sporting goods, firearm or gunsmithing business, which leads me to a final suggestion.

Sending a firearm to Bob’s Firearm Shop or Fred’s Gunsmithing Service for example is not a good idea & clearly identifies the box as containing a firearm.  It’s not the name of the business that counts but the physical address.  So, send it to BFS or FGS.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Anytime I ship a firearm to a gun store I leave off anything in their name that indicates firearms. The package will get there based on the correct address, so no need to give anyone a hint that it's a firearm.
I also remove buttstocks from rifles when shipping to reduce the length of the box, and avoid breakage. I wrap the buttstock separately and put it beside the barrel when packing. It also lowers the shipping cost as the longer the package the higher the price. And once a package gets over a certain length they add a premium also, so try to keep them as short as possible.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 14th, 2024 at 9:36am:

I also remove buttstocks from rifles when shipping to reduce the length of the box, and avoid breakage. I wrap the buttstock separately and put it beside the barrel when packing. It also lowers the shipping cost as the longer the package the higher the price. And once a package gets over a certain length they add a premium also, so try to keep them as short as possible.

Another excellent suggestion.  I do the same when possible.  Unfortunately many of the rifles I ship require unusually long screwdrivers to reach the inline stock bolt which most of my customers don't have.  And if they do, without special precautions, the blade (tip) can easily find itself between the bolt head & wood, cracking the stock when attempting to tighten.

Wayne

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I removed the buttstock from a heavy barreled Sharps at the request of the buyer.   The rifle was extremely well packed, but the upper tang was bent during shippment.  I'd rather pay for the extra length than risk bending the tang again.

George

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I have shaped a block of wood to fit between the tangs so as to avoid that kind of damage.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
All my Ballard rifles take a through bolt, but not a deep screw head. Just needs a really big tip on a short blade screwdriver.
I do as Jerry mentioned on guns with tangs, and cut a wood block to fit between tangs and then tighten the tang screw to hold it.
But if they want to break a gun they will! I built two wooden shipping crates to ship a couple guns, and FedEx still broke the crates and damaged the rifles. I'm betting intentionally.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint