Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Book - Frank DeHaas- Single Shot Rifles (Read 776 times)
Mass Patriot
Participating Member

Book - Frank DeHaas- Single Shot Rifles
Jul 2nd, 2024 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I've got an early edition of the book, the issue with the multicolored cover.  Great content, but the cheap, pulpy paper isn't the best.

Is there a later edition with quality paper?  Or even a hardcover version?  Like the quality printing on Grant's book; Boy's Single Shot Rifles?

Joe

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

NRA Life Member, and an NRA Golden Eagle
Massachusetts GOAL member

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Book - Frank DeHaas- Single Shot Rifles
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Not that I’ve seen.  I have that one and a later edition, with orange covers, and it is the same paperbound “Digest Book” with the coarse paper pages that the earlier one is.

Neither seem to show any visible darkening or decomposition in the pages, though.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I have two of the same early copies. Had one forever and a friend offered the 2nd cheap to me, so bought it in case some other friend might want a copy someday. 
The paper is not the fancy glossy stuff, but it's thick and my old copy has seen lots of use and still holding up great.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mass Patriot
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2024 at 5:23am
Print Post  
A search shows two editions, of 1969 and 1980.  Several printings from each edition, and different publishers.  All have a similar softcover format.  With the book's popularity, I'm surprised it never came out in hardcover.   

NRA Life Member, and an NRA Golden Eagle
Massachusetts GOAL member

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2024 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Here is a pic of my copy. 1969 first edition purchased in 1972 when I got home from Vietnam. It is well worn from use and probably at the root of my passion for single shots. (I had seen the other side, I mean full auto plastic guns. Smiley )

IP Logged

RBKenn
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
I have several copies of the book and find the Orange cover edition to have poorer quality paper. Off color and breaking down earlier.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2024 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I’m always late and a few clicks off but I may have something to add to this. Since I’ve owned a roof over my head on terra firma and a gun safe or two my two prized collections have pages or triggers. The more books I accumulate the more bookshelf’s I build. My rule was always buy hard bound over paper back if I could find and afford them. 

The rule was simple,  hard bound spined books just lasted longer. So my profession as a Marine Surveyor involved volumes of reference sources that were continually opened and closed. For many years it was a no brainer that almost all PB books broke down or fell apart making them pretty much unuseable.  

But over the past thirty to forty years I’ve discovered that other than covers lots of high quality PB books were holding up as well as many of today’s hard bound books. Whether this is due to better adhesives or what I can’t answer but the fact remains they do. 

As I write this I’m looking at Ken Water’s two volume set ‘ Pet Loads ‘ that are PB, certainly reference sources and since the late 1970’s have held up very well compared to several early Speer or Hodgdon hard bound reloading manuals which are basically broken down into two or three sections. My Madis Winchester volume literally broke in half within a year, junk bindings. So the rules have changed and so many of today’s PB books are really quite durable. Paper quality is another matter but if the book falls apart who cares about paper quality. The exception to PB life is don’t expect thick 500-600 page small format 7-8” x 6” PB books to hold together as they are budget prints. And high quality gloss paper books like Randy Wright’s with spiral binding will last a long time and open flat. 

Rick

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2024 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
If I had a paperback only edition of a book I Knew I would use often for reference, I would have the book hardbound, and in some cases keep an extra paperback as a backup.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2024 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I believe it is readable on the internet on the Internet Archive web site. The DeHass book on bolt action rifles is there and can be downloaded.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint