Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The power of a primer (Read 691 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

The power of a primer
Jul 2nd, 2024 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Here's what a .40cal. 410gr. 16:1 (lead:tin) alloy bullets looks like when fired with only a Federal GM150M large pistol primer.  As you can see, it didn't quite make it fully into the bore.  I was surprised it was driven in that far.

Wayne

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2024 at 1:15am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Hypo5.0
Participating Member

Re: The power of a primer
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 6:30am
Print Post  
I'm a bit surprised also, that's impressive for primer only.

IP Logged

ten-mile

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Use a primed case for a breech seater. Smiley

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
add a .01 or so grains of Bullserye just to drive completly into bore but not thru..and you have a safe way of bore slugging.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40 wrote on Jul 2nd, 2024 at 1:05pm:
add a .01 or so grains of Bullserye just to drive completly into bore but not thru..and you have a safe way of bore slugging.

Been doing just that around here for a few years now.  Much less distortion of the bullet base, and no risk of damaging the throat.  With practice I can stop the bullet anywhere in the barrel.

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Years back, I modified a 8.15x46r case to use 209 primers, thinking that because the 209 was so much larger,it might have more of a charge, than rifle type, mag primers. 

I wanted to shoot 00 buck (.320) in it to shoot in a Zimmer match but, it would only go 1/2 way into the barrel. I had to add 1.5 gr of B'eye to get it out of the barrel and still be subsonic.

Another experiment I did was with a 310 Martini, 218 Bee. I machined a case with a small primer pocket but, with a 1/8" hole, threw it and a seat for a 22 cal pellet. In that case, it had WAY to much power and blew the skirts off the pellet. The rational for that one, was to do OH practice, down my hallway.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Winchester small rifle primers served well in my 222Rem
rifle- a Marlin-Sako model 322, with Microgroove barrel to propel pellets with reasonable accuracy across the basement into a pellet trap for offhand practice
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
The power of a primer is the initiator in what is mistakenly called Secondary Explosion Effect.  Testers in Europe found that what actually happens is that the primer explosion drives the (jacketed) bullet into the rifle's throat where, if the large charge of slow powder fails to ignite quickly enough, it stops and becomes a bore obstruction. 

Not a problem for us, since we don't load those super-slow powders, and our cast bullets don't have the "stiction" of jacketed in any case.

<div class=

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I recall reading Civil war marksmen shooting primer loads in friendly competition. I’ve tried it and the primer alone in the 45-70 will clear a bullet but without 
performance

Those interested in primer performance should look for the writings of Creighton Audette where he conducted volumes of testing on brisance, spread and flame characteristics of most all available primers. As I recall his testing methods and data overlapped some of the testing and findings from Homer Powley the famous Olin ballistician.  So for whatever it’s worth

Correction, Correction:  the Civil War primer only matches were candle matches. Primer only trying to blow out candles at a certain distance. 

Rick
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2024 at 7:36pm by burntwater »  

IP Logged

Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2024 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I've done those candle matches, with both ML and center fire primers. Shooting at birthday candle flames. Great fun on a long cold winter night.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint