Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Barrel change (Read 1783 times)
silver

Re: Barrel change
Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 11:34am
Print Post  
I’d leave it and get another sharps. And 45-90 is still being made
By starline at least once a year. I just got 500 of them a couple months ago and only waited about 2 months. Just a thought

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 3:38am
Print Post  
Over the years I had C. Sharps build me rifles in 45-110, 45-100, and 45-90, all different configurations; 1 heavy buffalo era, 2 target guns with single triggers and pistol grip stocks. My intent was to shoot PPB's so I wanted the extra length cases to accommodate a grease cookie with the PPB seated relatively deep in the case. They all shot great with PPB's but now in 45 caliber, I am back to shooting a 45-70 with GGB's and can't see a reason to mess with the longer cases. If I were shooting LR matches then probably a 45-90 but I am not. Wink

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Snuffy
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2024 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Brass is not the issue.

I have about 140 pieces of new and used brass

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #18 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Ron Smith of RKS Enterprises changes barrels or rechambers or rebores numerous single shot rifles.

I would keep the 45-120 barrel and have a second 45-70 barrel made for the action.

It is not that difficult to switch the barrels and shoot both .45 calibers with the Sharps action.

When I have multiple barrels for a rifle I also have a separate forearm properly bedded for each barrel as well.

You then need a barrel wrench and a padded vise to change (unscrew) the barrel after removing the extractor first.

IP Logged

Todd
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Call John Taylor about putting a TJ's liner in it. He's done several for me and did a great job. Last I knew those liners are available in 17 and 18 twist in .45 caliber. John posts here from time to time.
Todd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint