Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Barrel maker (Read 850 times)
sportslube
Oldtimer

Barrel maker
Jun 24th, 2024 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Have a barrel on a rifle that has no markings just a very unique contour.  Has anyone seen this contour on a barrel before or point me a direction to identify it.  Thanks in advance sportslube

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Barrel maker
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Spiral fluted or twisted material? That is surely a unique configuration. What caliber is the rifle?

JMH

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 11:57am
Print Post  
I've seen hammer forged barrels with a pattern like that. 'East German' 5.45 was one of them. Saves a final turning operation. The taper, and the chamber, can be done in one pass.

IP Logged

dave j
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
ruger, Kidd, Bergara, Blaser, etc

IP Logged

Past80
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
I think the first time I saw a barrel similar was back in the late 60s or early 70s and it definitely a European built rifle.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Steyr-Mannlichers had that barrel pattern and, yes, they were hammer forged. I had 2 Model Ls in 22-250 and I had one of them rebored to 250 Savage. Sweetest little deer rifle you ever saw.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2024 at 4:23pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

Past80
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
That's the name I was looking for. I always wondered if the hammered spiral matched the rifleing twist

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
It is on a 22rf

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Here is a Ruger 22 barrel blank similar looking pattern but not as pronounced.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I believe the Germans started hammer-forging barrels circa 1939 with most having polygonal rifling. The Germans like most producers using hammer-forged today turned the barrels after the forging operation so they are not so readily identified as such. It has been a long time but as I recall the rifling in Steyr's rifles from the 1970's-80's had conventional rifling.

The original 5R barrels on the Remington M24 rifles were cut-rifled by Mike Rock but there were delivery delays leading to Remington developing a hammer-forged 5R. It cost Remington a bunch of $$ to put the new barrels and rifles through First Article Testing again in accordance with the Army contract but in the end paid off with the barrel being produced in-house rather than be sourced from a vendor. As a side benefit, 5R barreled rifles became widely available in a variety of calibers.

I once stood outside the booth watching barrels being hammer-forged at Remington and it is an unbelievably loud operation!

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
A bit of drift here but in the late 80’s I was privy, actually standing nearby, listening to Warren Center of Thompson Center Arms discussing his good friend Bill Ruger asking if TC may be interested in purchasing one of two hammer forge barrel machines that he was negotiating to purchase in Germany. I think I heard the name Krupp mentioned a couple of times. Anyway Mr. Ruger couldn’t sell Warren Center on the idea, too big, too costly and they’d have to build another building and train a crew to run it. Anyway Ruger bought one and maybe both and shortly thereafter Ruger was making roll hammer forged barrels. I heard stories about moving this monster up state on light roads to Ruger’s factory in Newport, NH

Rick

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint