Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reusing Berdan primed cases (Read 276 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reusing Berdan primed cases
Jun 22nd, 2024 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I came onto about 500+ 303 Brit cases, last weekend, cheap. So, what could I do but, buy them!

They are all Berdan primed so, I decided to change the primer pocket to a 209 shot gun primer and so far, it's working out. My test loads have been 200 gr cast bullet and 16.5 gr of Enforcer and no leakage, in a 1914 Enfield.

I have a 11" turret lathe and I made 25 cases this way, in about a hour, including setting it up, with the following tools:

#4 center drill (5/16")
Letter drill B (.238)
5/16" counter bore

I drilled the primer out, with the c'drill, to a depth that would leave a ~.015 chamfer on a B size drilled hole.

Came back with the B drill and drilled threw.

Then the 5/16" c'bore to a depth of .010 and it's finished.

First, the B drill cut to .239 and the basic size of the 209 primers, are .240.

The .010 is to seal the primer pocket,as that is the thickness of the 209 flange.

I have a decapper but, I need to make a recapper, probably out of a pair of pliers. 

I don't shoot much any more so, it will be a while, before I prove this out totally and go to full pressure GC cast bullet pressures but, so far, it does work at PB bullet pressures.

I though I'd post this because of the difficulty of finding brass these days.

It's not the first time I've done this, I used shortened, 7.65 x 54 Russian cases to make full dyl length, shot loads for my 45 LC's, in my Black Hawk and Red Hawk pistols and that worked out well.

Disclaimer:
If anyone tries this, please be careful to make sure the primer seals.I would make sure there is some interference fit in the primer hole and start with .005 c'bore or,less and increase it, until the breech block closes.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Reusing Berdan primed cases
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2024 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I think I still have a supply of Berdan primers for the 303.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2024 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
At one time I reloaded 7.5 Swiss rounds with Berdan primers using an RCBS decapping tool and Berdan primers sold by PMC.
I don't know if the tool or the primers are still available.

Steve.   Smiley

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Don't forget that some Berdan primers might be the type with salts in them that you have to wash your barrel out with water and is the main reason British cars rust out as in the winter grit and salt are put on icy roads and salt gets up into all the little cracks of the body and retains moister.
Used to use soapy water and hydraulics to remove Berdan primers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint